Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Give me enough money and I'll get a dragstrip built in socal.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Give me enough money and I'll get a dragstrip built in socal.
    It would be probably the cheapest to just build a strip and keep it private imo.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    It would be probably the cheapest to just build a strip and keep it private imo.
    Ya but where?

Make it a private a club? That might be a solution but the noise still exists.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    SpecialtyZ is considered the gold standard for dynos in this area by the boosted M3 crowd. This is the same dyno both Drew and Sticky use for their testing. They report it reads lower than some other dynojets in the area. I've been using it for years before SpecialtyZ owned it when it was LAPDs (corvette shop) dyno.

I dyno stock cars there all the time. They do 275-280whp. A few months ago I dyno tested a new 535 and he definitely did not think it was a high reading dyno. Click here to enlarge
    Terry, I am trying to compare my rb dyno to this dyno as we both have IS and had the same fuel mix minus him running meth. You noted that a normal 335i (not IS) base lines on this dyno at 275-280. On the dyno I used, I baseline at 282, but I have an IS rated at 20+ hp over the standard 335i. As my baseline is close to the baseline seen here, can I assume that the dyno I used reads about 5% lower than this dyno? I arrive at 5% by taking the average whp of this dyno divided by the stock power of a normal n54 times the stock power of an IS to arrive at what I would expect an IS to put down on this dyno or (277.5/300)*320=296. Then take this divided by what I record as my base line of 282 to reach 1.0496% or 5%. Would you consider this a safe assumption?

Note, I am not trying to bash your work, I love what you do for the n54 community. I want to simply overlay a reasonable comparison of my RB results over this to compare stockers and RBs as it relates to power under the curve.

Cheers,
    James
    2015 - Cayman GTS - Stock
    2011 - 335is e92 - Cobb PTF E40/Rob Beck/AR/Helix (458 rwtq and 479 rwhp) - Retired
    2007 - 911 Turbo - EP1/AMS (617 awtq and 500 awhp) - Retired
    2008 - 335i e92 - Cobb/AR/Helix/OSS (384 rwtq and 356 rwhp) - Retired
    2003 and 2005 330i/ci zhp - Stock - Retired

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mithiral67 Click here to enlarge
    Terry, I am trying to compare my rb dyno to this dyno as we both have IS and had the same fuel mix minus him running meth. You noted that a normal 335i (not IS) base lines on this dyno at 275-280. On the dyno I used, I baseline at 282, but I have an IS rated at 20+ hp over the standard 335i. As my baseline is close to the baseline seen here, can I assume that the dyno I used reads about 5% lower than this dyno? I arrive at 5% by taking the average whp of this dyno divided by the stock power of a normal n54 times the stock power of an IS to arrive at what I would expect an IS to put down on this dyno or (277.5/300)*320=296. Then take this divided by what I record as my base line of 282 to reach 1.0496% or 5%. Would you consider this a safe assumption?

Note, I am not trying to bash your work, I love what you do for the n54 community. I want to simply overlay a reasonable comparison of my RB results over this to compare stockers and RBs as it relates to power under the curve.

Cheers,
    James
    There is no easy way to do that sort of dyno math accurately. IIRC I tested a 335is stock @ 305rw here a year ago but I'd have to look for that dyno chart. With the 335is it can swing plus or minus 15rw depending on whether its in its higher boost mode or lower boost mode. If you made 280rw on a 335is with it running its 11psi curve, then I'd say your dyno must be reading lower. But, you'd need a logfile to go along with it to verify the car was not just dumping timing.

I do have an overlay of RBs maxed out vs. stockers maxed out from an MT if you are interested in the power curve differences. I think I have some RB dynos from 17-18psi (475rw?) that I can compare as well. I'll poke around for those later. Hundreds of dyno charts saved on this pc.

Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Terry, the low boost mode for the 335is is 11psi? high boost 14?
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

'10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF DP, Fuel-it st2
    installing soon: Mfactory LSD, , powerflex subrframe bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Here is a comparison of factory turbos maxed out (20psi tapering to 16psi), vs RB turbos just humming along at 17.5psi tapering to 16psi. @ 6500rpm the RBs have maybe 75rw on the stockers, but only 20rw peak. If you shift around 6000rpm just eye-balling it I'd say the RB car will have an average of ~20rw more under the curve. Also note the factory turbo dyno is from an MT and the RB from an AT. My AT has never hit 460rw on factory turbos. I think 446rw was the highest. Although, I've never ran it with the current setup. Might be time for a dyno trip soon. Click here to enlarge
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by marv85 Click here to enlarge
    Terry, the low boost mode for the 335is is 11psi? high boost 14?
    It's sort of all over the place (load based) but in that range.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Terry, that's a great plot above... I'm deciding whether to go upgraded turbos or part out, but I think first step is to turn up the stockers (don't read this if you are considering purchasing below car in link). When you say factory turbos tapered to 16psi... can you actually get this around 6.5k rpm? I barely get 15psi at 6k in summer, but very different conditions of course. I think in the winter (50ish deg) I could probably top out maybe 15.5psi at 6k... what do you see as a fairly comfortable max at 6k?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

Here is a plot of that stock turbo maxed out run. You can use dutycycle as a reference point but basically we're pushing about as much as I'm comfortable with from them. So far they are holding up. Stock turbos are troopers aside from the rattle and smoking at idle problems that people encounter.

Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

so maybe 16.5psi at 6k... about what ambient was that log and its at or close to sea level I take it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

600', 70s, IIRC
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Here is a comparison of factory turbos maxed out (20psi tapering to 16psi), vs RB turbos just humming along at 17.5psi tapering to 16psi. @ 6500rpm the RBs have maybe 75rw on the stockers, but only 20rw peak. If you shift around 6000rpm just eye-balling it I'd say the RB car will have an average of ~20rw more under the curve. Also note the factory turbo dyno is from an MT and the RB from an AT. My AT has never hit 460rw on factory turbos. I think 446rw was the highest. Although, I've never ran it with the current setup. Might be time for a dyno trip soon. Click here to enlarge
    Terry, this is great and I think would match up very close to comparing mine with a 5% bump to this comparison considering this is an auto RB compared to my manual and I hit 479whp to his 482whp. Given by your example, it sounds like a manual should be good for 15whp over the auto.

My manual made the 282whp stock run on a curve that his 14psi at peak but tapered down to redline.
    2015 - Cayman GTS - Stock
    2011 - 335is e92 - Cobb PTF E40/Rob Beck/AR/Helix (458 rwtq and 479 rwhp) - Retired
    2007 - 911 Turbo - EP1/AMS (617 awtq and 500 awhp) - Retired
    2008 - 335i e92 - Cobb/AR/Helix/OSS (384 rwtq and 356 rwhp) - Retired
    2003 and 2005 330i/ci zhp - Stock - Retired

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

100 more whp at 6500rpms
    81 more tq at redline

on stock vs rb maxed , impressive
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82