Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Look who seems to be managing to clean up South Side Auto Salon / SSP / Kris Gagnon's mistakes - YSI DCT pull 3-4-5

So as many of you know my transmission "build" by SSP did not go well. Gintani and I decided there is no real reason to continue to deal with SSP after Kris @ SSP didn't even bother to take any time to look at his work to try to figure out why the transmission was not shifting correctly or suddenly going into neutral.

Well, Gintani figured it out. The "experts" at SSP installed some of the clutch discs backwards. Also, some of the discs for whatever reason had corrosion. Were they always kept wet? Who knows. How you keep a transmission for almost two years and can't even figure out the way the discs are supposed to face is beyond me. Anyway, here is a WOT pull obviously on pump gas and low boost from 3-4 and into 5.

It remains to be seen if this will work as intended on high boost, launch control, etc., but at least it's progress. Funny how the people who aren't the experts in dual clutch transmissions are having to clean up the mess of those supposedly are. Kris, if you took even any time to inspect your work or even the time to look at my trans you should have been able to figure this out. Wow are you sad:

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Well, that certainly explains that. Glad to hear you're making progress.

-Matt

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mdrobnak Click here to enlarge
    Well, that certainly explains that. Glad to hear you're making progress.

-Matt
    We'll see where it goes but how in the $#@! do you screw things up that badly after go well over a year over the build time? It would be funny if it wasn't true.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Backward clutch disks....huh. Well at least there is some forward momentum now. Hopefully the high boost pulls work out for you as well. Good stuff.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Lol, I would have loved to see gintani's faces when they found out.
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

Honda Grom, most fun you'll ever have on 2 wheels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by StinkyM Click here to enlarge
    Lol, I would have loved to see gintani's faces when they found out.
    They called me saying, "You aren't going to believe this..."

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ra2289 Click here to enlarge
    Backward clutch disks....huh. Well at least there is some forward momentum now. Hopefully the high boost pulls work out for you as well. Good stuff.
    We'll see, I know more soon. But hey, at least the damn thing runs pretty well now and can shift as it should.

Backward $#@!ing clutch discs... unbelievable.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

good to see progress

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

How were they able to determine they were installed backwards? I've never seen pics of the clutch packs, so I don't know if there's a unique material or markings on one side vs. the other

Glad to hear it's working now, guessing the motor is 100% broken in since you're driving into redline
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Glad to hear its working.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Great

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Bout time...high boost!!!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

I'm glad it was an easy fix. Too bad SSP didn't do the right thing and at least offer to take a look at it. Would have saved a lot of face going that route.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    I'm glad it was an easy fix. Too bad SSP didn't do the right thing and at least offer to take a look at it. Would have saved a lot of face going that route.
    It's funny how you guys only hear one part of the story, soon enough the truth will come out. Non the less congrats on getting your car working, must be a true beast.

Just a quick question , how is it possible to put in non-directional disc in backwards sticky??

Well must be a good day for the DCTs - http://bimmerboost.com/showthread.ph...SP-CLUTCH-PACK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Serps Click here to enlarge
    Just a quick question , how is it possible to put in non-directional disc in backwards sticky??
    Interesting.....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

So what's the prediction?
    Is the trans clutch now gonna hold high boost?
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Looks fast! Btw ive seen better camera quality on worldstar hiphop.. Hd please!!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Andrew@activeautowerke Click here to enlarge
    Looks fast! Btw ive seen better camera quality on worldstar hiphop.. Hd please!!!!
    LMFAO

+100000
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG.M3

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Glad to hear that it may still work out. Was there programming done to the TCU as well?
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 1200+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

So what numbers can we expect the clutch to now hold?
    Click here to enlarge
    335i ~ JB4 ~ BMS ~ DCI ~ Active Autowerks CP & BOV ~ Borla Catback Exhaust

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Looks like it was filmed in Turkey with one of those Potato Camera's...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Serps Click here to enlarge
    It's funny how you guys only hear one part of the story, soon enough the truth will come out. Non the less congrats on getting your car working, must be a true beast.

Well must be a good day for the DCTs - http://bimmerboost.com/showthread.ph...SP-CLUTCH-PACK
    I wish I knew but that is exactly what I was told and considering I have different discs with an extra disc that are not OEM discs how do you know they are non-directional?

I'm also disappointed to learn that isn't my trans which still isn't working but Alex's own in my car Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    So what's the prediction?
    Is the trans clutch now gonna hold high boost?
    The trans and what it can hold was never the issue and is never going to be the issue.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Ok got off the phone getting some more details here. I'm not at the shop guys, just relaying what I can as best as I can.

My car is running in the video perfectly as you see. Why? Because Alex pulled his trans and flywheel and put it in my car. With the OEM trans and flywheel, car works perfectly.

With the SSP trans, the second clutch can't hold pressure and is the whole issue. So first gear is cool and then... well, you get problems. What is causing this? We don't really know as Kris@SSP isn't even willing to help or take a few seconds to try to figure it out instead trying to shift blame everywhere else like a complete POS with no accountability.

Alex opened the trans noticed the discs were oxidized for whatever reason. He cleaned the oxodized ones up. The oxidized ones were not installed backwards but its the odd gears not working and those were reinstalled. Still, doesn't work.

The flywheel for whatever reason vibrates. Why, we have no clue, but it's useless.

So now I need to buy a new flywheel, trans, and of course fix SSP's oil pan and add lines / fluids that were never sent as they should have been and I was told they would be and thought they would be unless it's just a fractional trans build?

For a "free" trans build this all sure is adding up pretty fast. Regardless, Kris will get the bill.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Ok got off the phone getting some more details here. I'm not at the shop guys, just relaying what I can as best as I can.

My car is running in the video perfectly as you see. Why? Because Alex pulled his trans and flywheel and put it in my car. With the OEM trans and flywheel, car works perfectly.

With the SSP trans, the second clutch can't hold pressure and is the whole issues. So first gear is cool and then... well, you get problems. What is causing this? We don't really know as Kris@SSP isn't even willing to help or take a few seconds to try to figure it out instead trying to shift blame everywhere else like a complete POS with no accountability.

Alex opened the trans noticed the discs were oxidized for whatever reason. He cleaned the oxodized ones up. The oxidized ones were not installed backwards but its the odd gears not working and those were reinstalled. Still, doesn't work.

The flywheel for whatever reason vibrates. Why it's useless we have no clue.

So now I need to buy a new flywheel, trans, and of course fix SSP's oil pan and add lines / fluids that were never sent.

For a "free" trans build this all sure is adding up pretty fast. Regardless, Kris will get the bill.
    Click here to enlarge

Glad to see that car finally ripping through the gears. I bet it feels like a beast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast