Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

All M3 Owners w/ DCT - hate the start/stop assist? Can't stand not being able to come to a stop without any "jerk" whatsoever? README.TXT :)

As said in the title, all E9x M3s have a function called start/stop/hill assist - this has nothing to do with the engine (forget what that feature is called - but it shuts down the engine at a stop)... It has ALWAYS driven me nuts that this car (as opposed to my last M3s w/ SMG) "assists" you with starting and stopping the car. What I mean by this - whereas SMG would engage the clutch well before the car is stopped - so you could modulate the braking to make the stop perfectly smooth - my DCT M3 is (was) very poor at this. I am VERY senstive to $#@! like this, so most people probably could care less. I just don't like my passengers thinking I have a retarded throttle foot/leg. Click here to enlarge

I found out how to reset the kiss point of the clutches (should have known this - as it's the same procedure with SMG). This made a DRAMATIC difference - coming to a stop sign, I could probably now keep an open cup of coffee between my legs (exaggeration/McDonalds humor)... Seriously - it's MUCH smoother coming to a stop - and feels better now even when starting from a stop. I played around with it on the highway for an hour, and even the shifts feel better. I have NO idea why this isn't done automatically by the car and/or by the dealer.

Here's the procedure - traction control off/transmission in S6:

Car must be at operating temperature / warm
    Drive vehicle 50-60mph - put the car in N - pull both paddles back at the same time (I did it 10 seconds - 5s was what I read).

Throw the car back in S or D (why?!?!?!?) <g> - and that's it.

Let me know if you had this issue - and how you think it went after this.

Stoked I am about this... Click here to enlarge

Cheers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    huh? is this start/stop assist in S or D mode? i have less than 10 miles driven in D

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    As said in the title, all E9x M3s have a function called start/stop/hill assist
    All have hill assist (or whatever it's called that keeps the brake on for a couple of seconds preventing you from slipping back down the hill when you take your foot off the brake to go to the throttle) but early E9x M3s did not have start/stop -- the feature that turns the engine off when you've stopped.

Cheers.
    Warranties are for pussies.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    wow.. mine drives me nuts to. Would this work with at on 3 series?
    08 328i, totaled by women driver
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ersin Click here to enlarge
    All have hill assist (or whatever it's called that keeps the brake on for a couple of seconds preventing you from slipping back down the hill when you take your foot off the brake to go to the throttle) but early E9x M3s did not have start/stop -- the feature that turns the engine off when you've stopped.

Cheers.
    there is another assist feature called Low Speed Assistant, it keeps the car moving at slow speed if you start off by briefly pressing the accelerator and then releasing it. It's described on page 25 in the supplemental owner's manual.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    huh? is this start/stop assist in S or D mode? i have less than 10 miles driven in D
    I have no idea why I am not getting notified of replies - sorry didn't see this. I only drive in S mode... It's hard to explain; every person that drives my car doesn't notice it but me... Basically - what someone said above, Low Speed Assist AKA dumest $#@!ing feature in the world. It prevents you from making a perfectly smooth stop.

This resets the clutch point - so it makes sense that my stops were more annoying than normal. I think the clutch thought the kiss point was close - but due to wear, it wasn't - so the car would have a slight jerk at that last MPH (literally probably .5-1MPH)... I am really finicky about this $#@!, no one else cares Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Chris3g Click here to enlarge
    there is another assist feature called Low Speed Assistant, it keeps the car moving at slow speed if you start off by briefly pressing the accelerator and then releasing it. It's described on page 25 in the supplemental owner's manual.
    Exactly - that's it... It's also the same feature that engages the clutch coming to a stop "smoothly"... Starting off from a complete stop - it's MUCH more noticeable after reseting this - it's smoother than before.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mikolo-n54 Click here to enlarge
    wow.. mine drives me nuts to. Would this work with at on 3 series?
    I would think so - considering this "reset" was carried over from the SMG days, I think it's part of their programming for all these transmissions.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would think so - considering this "reset" was carried over from the SMG days, I think it's part of their programming for all these transmissions.
    Cool, I will try and see what happens as I have an annoying jerk when coming to a stop in 1st.
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Go 50-60, throw in neutral, then back and that changes it? WTF? Some kind of cheat code?

What does it change? You can't really pick the engagement point right?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Go 50-60, throw in neutral, then back and that changes it? WTF? Some kind of cheat code?

Left down left down right square x. Resets the ecu. Lol
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

Honda Grom, most fun you'll ever have on 2 wheels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by StinkyM Click here to enlarge
    Left down left down right square x. Resets the ecu. Lol
    Get the code wrong and you get limp mode? Or in the F10 M5 it probably replaces the engine note sound through the speakers with Oktoberfest folk songs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Get the code wrong and you get limp mode? Or in the F10 M5 it probably replaces the engine note sound through the speakers with Oktoberfest folk songs.
    Lol. I didn't need the chair anyway.
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

Honda Grom, most fun you'll ever have on 2 wheels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

No, you don't pick the engagement point, it reset the kiss point of the clutch - just like it used to with SMG. I posted about this when I had my last M3 (was having issues with SMG)... You can actually hear the reset happening - it's a mechanical "clunk". With DSG, didn't hear anything -just read about it on another forum, tried it - and it fixed my issue. The exact km/h is some off number that I don't remember - so I just exceed it in MPH (hence the weird recommendation of MPH)... You just have to exceed it - not be in the range.

Sticky - just noticed I didn't answer your question fully. Once it's in N - you must pull back both paddles at the same time for a few seconds (just like with SMG - same reset procedure)... After that - your done.
    Last edited by inlineS54B32; 05-05-2013 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Add information...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Another cool factoid (re up up down down left right b a select start) - first take the last 5 digits of your VIN number and add them together... EG WSB123489721301430 - the code is 08...

If you hold down the odometer reset button once the car is started (cannot be moving) - a menu will appear. (This is more like Contra like you guys were saying)

Once the menu appears (saying 01 and some weird acronym) - navigate to menu #19 by depressing the odometer reset button over and over until you reach - well, 19.

Once there - it will say "LOCKED" - press the odometer button 8 times to enter the above code (08) - and just wait until it disappears. Now you can get all the following information:

01.00 FGSTNR = "Fahrgestellnummer" (Chassisnumber)
    01.01 K-ZAHL W/T
    01.02 BMWTNR
    01.03 COD DIA
    01.04 KI HSTL DATUM = "Herstellungs Datum" (Manufactored/Essembled on date...)
    01.05 ???
    01.06 SW
    01.07 KODIERDATEN
    01.08 CAN
    02.00 KI TEST = Dashbord test. All light, gauges, displays and so on will light up,
    move.... works only when the engine is NOT running.
    03.00 ??? (maybe it will show something after your first 'service', motoroil change)
    04.00 MOM VBR = actual fuel consumption
    04.01 RW-VBR-MOM = fuel consumption per hour
    05.yy average fuel consumption
    06.00 how much you have in your 'tank' in liters. Left- and Right compartment and Total
    06.01 dito in hex?
    07.00 KTMP-MOM = Temp. Cooling Fluid (celcius)
    07.01 ATMP-MOM = "Aussentemperatur" Temp. Outside (celcius)
    07.02 dito in hex?
    07.03 N-MOT-MOM = RPM
    07.04 N-VWF-MOM = max. RPM at the moment. E60 it gives a vlaue. E90 it shows "-----"
    08.00 V-EFF = exact speed
    08.01 V-ANZ = "Anzeige" speed shown on dash..
    08.02 V-SZ
    08.03 D-GESCHW 1 WEG
    08.04 D-GESCHW 1 ZEIT
    08.05 D-GESCHW 2 WEG
    08.06 D-GESCHW 1 ZEIT
    09.00 Voltage
    10.00 KM/WOCHE
    11.00 ??? , has to do how the time will be displayed
    11.01 km or miles
    11.02 Celcius or Fahrenheit
    11.03 how to display fuel consumption. km/l or l/100km or mpg
    12.00 V-ANKUNFT = arrival time 12.01 ANK-ZEIT = time of arrival
    13.00 AUDIO = all(?) sounds. Like the 'boing' of the 'light on warning'
    14.00 FS EINTRAEGE = error messages (if any)
    15.00 Oil temp??
    16.00 Dashbord lighting.
    17.00 Temp inside in the car??
    18.00 CC-TEST = you can see some of the 'check control' messages.
    Look also at the iDrive screen!
    19.00 UNLOCK
    20.YY to 23.YY ???

That UNLOCK stuff is also important.
    If not UNLOCKed, you can only see menu's 01 and 02.

This guy explains it better:

For 'navigation' in the menu's, use the 'mileage reset button'.
    To get IN the menu's push that button for approx. 15 sec.
    Keep it pressed until you get the "01.__" in the display between the RPM and speedo-meter.
    "XX.YY" means the menu-numbers.
    If you want increase the "XX" part, push the 'mileage reset' button for approx. 2 sec.
    As soon as you see "XX.__", you can increase XX by pressing the 'mileage reset' button.
    Every 'push' increases "XX". If you want to increase the "YY", when the display shows,
    for exmaple "01.00", then every 'push' on the 'mileage reset', will increase the "YY" value.

In the '19' menu you must 'click-in' a unlock code.
    That code you can calculate from the "FGSTNR" number.
    You must add the last 5 figures of that FGSTNR number. for example:
    : XXXXXX12345 the unlock code will be: 1+2+3+4+5=15

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The only useful ones are Momentary Oil Temp/Intake Air Temp, RPM - and I like instant fuel consumption. It's nice to see that it IS possible to get 28-29 MPG with the car if you drive 60. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Another cool factoid (re up up down down left right b a select start) - first take the last 5 digits of your VIN number and add them together... EG WSB123489721301430 - the code is 08...

If you hold down the odometer reset button once the car is started (cannot be moving) - a menu will appear. (This is more like Contra like you guys were saying)

Once the menu appears (saying 01 and some weird acronym) - navigate to menu #19 by depressing the odometer reset button over and over until you reach - well, 19.

Once there - it will say "LOCKED" - press the odometer button 8 times to enter the above code (08) - and just wait until it disappears. Now you can get all the following information:

01.00 FGSTNR = "Fahrgestellnummer" (Chassisnumber)
    01.01 K-ZAHL W/T
    01.02 BMWTNR
    01.03 COD DIA
    01.04 KI HSTL DATUM = "Herstellungs Datum" (Manufactored/Essembled on date...)
    01.05 ???
    01.06 SW
    01.07 KODIERDATEN
    01.08 CAN
    02.00 KI TEST = Dashbord test. All light, gauges, displays and so on will light up,
    move.... works only when the engine is NOT running.
    03.00 ??? (maybe it will show something after your first 'service', motoroil change)
    04.00 MOM VBR = actual fuel consumption
    04.01 RW-VBR-MOM = fuel consumption per hour
    05.yy average fuel consumption
    06.00 how much you have in your 'tank' in liters. Left- and Right compartment and Total
    06.01 dito in hex?
    07.00 KTMP-MOM = Temp. Cooling Fluid (celcius)
    07.01 ATMP-MOM = "Aussentemperatur" Temp. Outside (celcius)
    07.02 dito in hex?
    07.03 N-MOT-MOM = RPM
    07.04 N-VWF-MOM = max. RPM at the moment. E60 it gives a vlaue. E90 it shows "-----"
    08.00 V-EFF = exact speed
    08.01 V-ANZ = "Anzeige" speed shown on dash..
    08.02 V-SZ
    08.03 D-GESCHW 1 WEG
    08.04 D-GESCHW 1 ZEIT
    08.05 D-GESCHW 2 WEG
    08.06 D-GESCHW 1 ZEIT
    09.00 Voltage
    10.00 KM/WOCHE
    11.00 ??? , has to do how the time will be displayed
    11.01 km or miles
    11.02 Celcius or Fahrenheit
    11.03 how to display fuel consumption. km/l or l/100km or mpg
    12.00 V-ANKUNFT = arrival time 12.01 ANK-ZEIT = time of arrival
    13.00 AUDIO = all(?) sounds. Like the 'boing' of the 'light on warning'
    14.00 FS EINTRAEGE = error messages (if any)
    15.00 Oil temp??
    16.00 Dashbord lighting.
    17.00 Temp inside in the car??
    18.00 CC-TEST = you can see some of the 'check control' messages.
    Look also at the iDrive screen!
    19.00 UNLOCK
    20.YY to 23.YY ???

That UNLOCK stuff is also important.
    If not UNLOCKed, you can only see menu's 01 and 02.

This guy explains it better:

For 'navigation' in the menu's, use the 'mileage reset button'.
    To get IN the menu's push that button for approx. 15 sec.
    Keep it pressed until you get the "01.__" in the display between the RPM and speedo-meter.
    "XX.YY" means the menu-numbers.
    If you want increase the "XX" part, push the 'mileage reset' button for approx. 2 sec.
    As soon as you see "XX.__", you can increase XX by pressing the 'mileage reset' button.
    Every 'push' increases "XX". If you want to increase the "YY", when the display shows,
    for exmaple "01.00", then every 'push' on the 'mileage reset', will increase the "YY" value.

In the '19' menu you must 'click-in' a unlock code.
    That code you can calculate from the "FGSTNR" number.
    You must add the last 5 figures of that FGSTNR number. for example:
    : XXXXXX12345 the unlock code will be: 1+2+3+4+5=15
    I'm wondering what other cheat codes there are that we don't know about.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    confirmed this works with 3 series AT, completely gets rid of stupid jerk coming to stop in 1st.. Does it reset every time you start the car or does it save in the ecu after doing it once? @inlineS54B32
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mikolo-n54 Click here to enlarge
    confirmed this works with 3 series AT, completely gets rid of stupid jerk coming to stop in 1st.. Does it reset every time you start the car or does it save in the ecu after doing it once? @inlineS54B32
    Cool to hear - I didn't know it would work with non DCT/SMG cars. Nice thing about forums, always something to learn.

As far as I know, it's kinda of like an adaptation - so, it should be good the next time you start the car. I think it actually is saving this value in the ECU.