Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E46 M3 performance parts

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

E46 M3 performance parts

Just let me know what you have. Interested in headers, BW 3.5" exhaust, RTABS, FCABS, Short shift kits etc etc. Let me know what you have as I am pretty much willing to spend money these days.
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

Honda Grom, most fun you'll ever have on 2 wheels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1673 Post(s)

You are looking for used parts?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You are looking for used parts?
    new or good quality used from good sellers.
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1673 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by StinkyM Click here to enlarge
    new or good quality used from good sellers.
    Well then let's put this in the right section.

What mods do you have currently?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Afe intake, shark tune, vac Udps. Next up is evolve tune, be exhaust, and drivetrain stuff.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1673 Post(s)

Afe intake, shark tune, vac Udps. Next up is evolve tune, be exhaust, and drivetrain stuff.
    Shark tune is basically useless.

What you need are headers, exhaust, and a tune next. It's just a question of who to go with.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

There was a set of used SS stepped v1's on m3forum last week.

Headers and/or 4.10's if you are N/A. All other mods outside of a proper tune do not net much.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Shark tune is basically useless.

What you need are headers, exhaust, and a tune next. It's just a question of who to go with.
    i know, thanks. That's why I am looking for a set of headers and an assortment of other parts.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MisterEm Click here to enlarge
    There was a set of used SS stepped v1's on m3forum last week.

Headers and/or 4.10's if you are N/A. All other mods outside of a proper tune do not net much.
    Theres more power to be found. I've been checking every bmw forum so appreciate your input.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

If you are a baller and willing to drop some coin:

I'd hold out for SGT's stepped headers or go with the SuperSprint stepped headers
    Evolve tune
    4.10s
    CSL style intake / SC
    Exhaust of your choice really
    Suspension, new bushings, cosmetic stuff, etc

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1673 Post(s)

Or just turbo it...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Or just turbo it...
    Or this. If you have 10K burning a hole in your pocket, MaximumPSI and 700hp is only a phone call away.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brey335i Click here to enlarge
    If you are a baller and willing to drop some coin:

I'd hold out for SGT's stepped headers or go with the SuperSprint stepped headers
    Evolve tune
    4.10s
    CSL style intake / SC
    Exhaust of your choice really
    Suspension, new bushings, cosmetic stuff, etc
    Suspension and bushings are already ordered. CSL intake is going to have to wait, and I don't want 4.10's, and a BimmerWorld exhaust will be ordered soon as well. Headers wise, I am still debating. Hoping a set of V1's comes up soon, as they make the most power on the S54.

Or just turbo it...
    I wouldn't mind a supercharger, but I am not some big balling maniac willing to drop that much coin on this thing just yet. Rather get a new bike.

Or this. If you have 10K burning a hole in your pocket, MaximumPSI and 700hp is only a phone call away.
    10k is not burning in my pocket. If I had 10k burning a hole in my pocket, I'd be on an S1000RR which may come next year.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

I have a set of used Agency Power headers for sale off of my car if your interested. Shoot me a PM with your price.

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    I have a set of used Agency Power headers for sale off of my car if your interested. Shoot me a PM with your price.
    Will do.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Suspension and bushings are already ordered. CSL intake is going to have to wait, and I don't want 4.10's, and a BimmerWorld exhaust will be ordered soon as well. Headers wise, I am still debating. Hoping a set of V1's comes up soon, as they make the most power on the S54.

I wouldn't mind a supercharger, but I am not some big balling maniac willing to drop that much coin on this thing just yet. Rather get a new bike.

10k is not burning in my pocket. If I had 10k burning a hole in my pocket, I'd be on an S1000RR which may come next year.
    Why no 4.10s? I had them on my last M3 - and it made a HELL of a difference for driving around town/tight track/playing around with the tail out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I hope you know how to ride a bike if you're getting the S1000RR. It's not a toy. They're also more like 15-18 new. Which is really the only condition I'd buy that kind of bike in.

I think 4.10s make a bigger difference on the street than headers / tune / exhaust for driving. YMMV.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I hope you know how to ride a bike if you're getting the S1000RR. It's not a toy. They're also more like 15-18 new. Which is really the only condition I'd buy that kind of bike in.

I think 4.10s make a bigger difference on the street than headers / tune / exhaust for driving. YMMV.
    Nothing transforms this car in N/A form over headers and gears. Other mods will chase a few ponies outside of opening up the cylinder head.

Looks like the boys above agree and have personal experience.

Good Luck

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Been riding for 7 years now and I am pretty sure I will be able to handle myself on a liter bike. 4.10's hinder top end performance so that's why I don't want them. Yea you gain a lot in the mid range but I am talking speeds above 120+.

Nothing transforms this car in N/A form over headers and gears. Other mods will chase a few ponies outside of opening up the cylinder head.

Looks like the boys above agree and have personal experience.

Good Luck
    See sig for 46+ rwhp from an evolve alpha n tune and evolve air box. There's more than just a few ponies hiding when you do it right.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Been riding for 7 years now and I am pretty sure I will be able to handle myself on a liter bike. 4.10's hinder top end performance so that's why I don't want them. Yea you gain a lot in the mid range but I am talking speeds above 120+.

See sig for 46+ rwhp from an evolve alpha n tune and evolve air box. There's more than just a few ponies hiding when you do it right.
    The only way they 'hinder' your top end is that you won't be able to go quite as fast as previously. How fast do you need to drive? I have a friend in Germany with 4.10s and it's not really an issue even on the Autobahn.

I'm pretty sure MisterEm knows how to do it right. That 46 hp also came from an Evolve airbox, headers, and tune from a completely stock car. Other than cams and engine work, that is also pretty much the only mods worth doing to get power NA. The gears are just like a SSK. Won't show up on a dyno but will be a world of difference on the street.

It's also personal preference.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Thumbs up

By doing it right you mean selecting the proper bin files right?Click here to enlarge There is more to that story as was discussed in your thread.

I can post a +51whp for header/tune and airbox selecting two specific bin files but they aren't prudent nor a worthy comparison. (268whp and 319whp) Dyno manipulation or selective dyno choosing could make any product shine much brighter.

The airbox is not a big power adder, it merely compliments other modifications. I tested it hardware wise changing nothing else while on the dyno. Net +3whp. Don't take my word for it StinkyM - ask Salman. That is who told me during one of our lengthy long-distance chats.

The only way they 'hinder' your top end is that you won't be able to go quite as fast as previously. How fast do you need to drive? I have a friend in Germany with 4.10s and it's not really an issue even on the Autobahn.
    Good points Brey335i! + rep.

4.10's hinder nothing but rear tires and DSC intervention if you're willing to bang the rev limiter. The car is faster although you will lose a few ponies on the chassis dyno.

Back to your question (it seems you already have answers for your questions). Your car will improve both on the dyno and track times with both of these mods:

-SS stepped V1 or Epic headers
    -3.91 or 4.10 gears (8200 rpm minimum)

Good Luck

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I'm pretty sure MisterEm knows how to do it right. That 46 hp also came from an Evolve airbox, headers, and tune from a completely stock car. Other than cams and engine work, that is also pretty much the only mods worth doing to get power NA. The gears are just like a SSK. Won't show up on a dyno but will be a world of difference on the street.

It's also personal preference.
    cams, port work,and a valve job will compliment my car in the future as well. The reason I am against 4.10's is solely because my car will not see much track time in all honesty. It will see more autox, roll racing, and a lot of highway use. For autox, depending on the layout a set of 4.10's could do me well as well as a small, tight, and complex track. However, when it comes to roll racing and highway fun, they will hurt my performance. Not just because of the lower gearing in 6th. Not even talking about that, but the difference in how often I am shifting. I'm setting the car up to trap in 3rd gear by playing with tire sizes, and I want 4th to carry me to 150. The less time I spend shifting and still staying in my power band the better. Another point to make, not a lot ofe46 owners realize how much power the bimmerworld exhaust makes with a great header combo. There's a few threads scattered but there's an insane amount of power to be had from exhaust mods alone.

By doing it right you mean selecting the proper bin files right?Click here to enlarge There is more to that story as was discussed in your thread.

I can post a +51whp for header/tune and airbox selecting two specific bin files but they aren't prudent nor a worthy comparison. (268whp and 319whp) Dyno manipulation or selective dyno choosing could make any product shine much brighter.

The airbox is not a big power adder, it merely compliments other modifications. I tested it hardware wise changing nothing else while on the dyno. Net +3whp. Don't take my word for it StinkyM - ask Salman. That is who told me during one of our lengthy long-distance chats.

Good points Brey335i! + rep.

4.10's hinder nothing but rear tires and DSC intervention if you're willing to bang the rev limiter. The car is faster although you will lose a few ponies on the chassis dyno.

Back to your question (it seems you already have answers for your questions). Your car will improve both on the dyno and track times with both of these mods:

-SS stepped V1 or Epic headers
    -3.91 or 4.10 gears (8200 rpm minimum)

Good Luck
    Dyno manipulation kills me. The majority of the air box power comes from alpha n. alpha n tuning has proven time and time again. The air box without tuning will gain you absolutely nothing without tuning. Ssv1 headers I already know are the best. I never had a question about what to buy, it was if anyone was selling anything. I know what I am going to buy, and if anyone honestly believes I have not already done years and by years I'm talking 7 years of research on e46's and power then leave.

I know v1's make the most power. I know which tunes to go with. I know where to buy everything I want brand new. I know 4.10's make a huge difference. I've talk to bimmerworld,vac, turner etc etc. I've done the research. I'm just looking for some parts. I've read dyno charts, builds, and watched group buys from 2004.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The reason I am against 4.10's is solely because my car will not see much track time in all honesty. It will see more autox, roll racing, and a lot of highway use. For autox, depending on the layout a set of 4.10's could do me well as well as a small, tight, and complex track. However, when it comes to roll racing and highway fun, they will hurt my performance.

There's a few threads scattered but there's an insane amount of power to be had from exhaust mods alone.
    I can understand the autocross argument. They *may* force you to shift into 3rd on a straight section. But that would be going fast on an autox course.

However, for a roll race I'd take the gears. That's exactly where they shine. So long as you can shift fast, the car with gears will walk away from the other car. I have plenty of experience seeing my friend's taillights. It definitely has more pickup in gear.

It seems you already know what you want then. Start buying. You've picked great parts already.

Yet I am perplexed by you not wanting 4.10s because your car won't see much track time and then choosing the BimmerWorld exhaust. Have you heard it in person? It's loud, obnoxious, and IMO just doesn't sound very good for a street car. It's a track exhaust. My local Sheriff department would be all over me if I had an exhaust like that on my car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

I have a friend who was selling his brand new SS V1 Stepped Headers and V1 SPipe. I'll see if he's willing to ship and if they are still available.

Not sure if this will be a street car or not, but I can tell you from first hand experience, the BW 3.5" is LLOOOOUUUUUDDDDDD!!!!
    2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My GermanBoost Build Thread
    2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I can understand the autocross argument. They *may* force you to shift into 3rd on a straight section. But that would be going fast on an autox course.

However, for a roll race I'd take the gears. That's exactly where they shine. So long as you can shift fast, the car with gears will walk away from the other car. I have plenty of experience seeing my friend's taillights. It definitely has more pickup in gear.

It seems you already know what you want then. Start buying. You've picked great parts already.

Yet I am perplexed by you not wanting 4.10s because your car won't see much track time and then choosing the BimmerWorld exhaust. Have you heard it in person? It's loud, obnoxious, and IMO just doesn't sound very good for a street car. It's a track exhaust. My local Sheriff department would be all over me if I had an exhaust like that on my car.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by flipm3 Click here to enlarge
    I have a friend who was selling his brand new SS V1 Stepped Headers and V1 SPipe. I'll see if he's willing to ship and if they are still available.

Not sure if this will be a street car or not, but I can tell you from first hand experience, the BW 3.5" is LLOOOOUUUUUDDDDDD!!!!
    It's all I have heard is how loud it is. As long as it's not a rattle trap, it won't bother me. I drive the car often, but moving to warmer climate will allow me to ride the bike a lot more so I'm not too worried about it. The performance the BW 3.5" also makes over any other exhaust makes it worth it. With the right parts man, that exhaust will make 20rwhp over even a supersprint. I had to think about it, rethink about it, then think about it again. There's no exhaust that comes close. I also just saw that BW makes their own header. I wonder how it compares to the Pacesetter and V1. It seems like finding any kind of recent dyno's for the E46 M3 is nearly impossible unless they are from 2002-2005. WE NEED MORE DATA!!!! Loud and obnoxious is the plan because it makes an ass load of power, not to mention, how much weight do I lose? That too, I want my weight to be down to 3200-3250 without stripping anything. Right now I am at 3420 so I have a long way to go. The BW exhaust loses 62 lbs over factory so that's a great start as well.

Regarding the gears, I will follow your advice. I will do whatever it takes to find another E46 M3 with gears and challenge him/her to an all out duel from every roll possible to see if they are worth it. From experience in other cars (of course) gears hinder top end but not until after 120 or so. I'd rather be in a gear at a high high rpm than shifting constantly. But I will see, if 3 people tell me gears make this much difference, I will see what they can do and of course I will post my results. Now it's time to start saving up again for more and more.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)

The BW race exhaust system is great, but as others have said it is super loud. I see it as a track only solution. Our catless 620hp E92M3 is loud, but the S54 with 3.5" race is even louder - but an ugly loud. Sounds good on the track at WOT tho ;-)

I haven't heard the street/track version but even the website says its still loud.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast