Close

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Josh@Cobb Click here to enlarge
    I applaud his efforts, seriously. That being said, I wish that he would do his own work for table discovery instead of stealing mine and posting about it on a public forum with Shiv's support.
    You guys just let that slide?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nospoolin Click here to enlarge
    Looks like he was able to crack the seed/key algorithm. However he's not responding to any pm's.
    Someone explain who "he" is?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BMWJunkie Click here to enlarge
    Someone needs to crack the DCT control unit and fix my launch control lol
    I'm all for this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Someone explain who "he" is?
    http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=828601
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Tuned Cobb Stage 2+ | H&R / Koni Sport | BBS LM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm all for this.
    What happened with your DCT anyway? I'm not up to date.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 2300+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/
    Or the BX8 Enthusiast Group!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/353105035077862/
    Cars: 2005 E46 330i - Sold | 2007 E90 335i - Crashed | 2009 E93 335i - Current | 1996 E36 328i Sedan

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    What happened with your DCT anyway? I'm not up to date.
    SSP $#@! the bed with the "upgraded" clutch pack & now they've decided to completely abandon their part of the project.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    now they've decided to completely abandon their part of the project.
    I think SSP bowed out of this project many...MANY moons ago. Sadly, they didn't let Alex or Joe know.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    is it just because it's SO limited..? even the guys who DO know what they're doing have to get a protune?
    Would you care to elaborate on how it's soo limited? Using ATR i can dial in any boost/timing/AFR/VANOS curve i want to and i'm by no means a "pro." The reason people get protunes is exactly what @lulz_m3 said, we can do whatever we want to but there are things that professionals know through years of experience that we don't have.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    Would you care to elaborate on how it's soo limited? Using ATR i can dial in any boost/timing/AFR/VANOS curve i want to and i'm by no means a "pro." The reason people get protunes is exactly what @lulz_m3 said, we can do whatever we want to but there are things that professionals know through years of experience that we don't have.
    +1
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

'10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF DP, Fuel-it st2
    installing soon: Mfactory LSD, , powerflex subrframe bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Would you care to elaborate on how it's soo limited? Using ATR i can dial in any boost/timing/AFR/VANOS curve i want to and i'm by no means a "pro."
    I agree on timing/AFR/VANOS, but when it comes to boost it's really helpful if what you want just happens to be very close to what they are already giving you. They are working on it, though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I could not resist:

Click here to enlarge
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Wow! This must be some sort of a record! My post as deleted not 5 minutes after I created it! ...on a Friday night! LOL Shiv's hard at work on E90 Click here to enlarge
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Carl Morris Click here to enlarge
    I agree on timing/AFR/VANOS, but when it comes to boost it's really helpful if what you want just happens to be very close to what they are already giving you. They are working on it, though.
    Are you referring to going above the 1.28bar boost cap or running a boost curve in a different "shape?" IE instead of tapering off towards redline it climbs.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Most of the current tunes have some safety inherently built in -- The piggys will automatically reduce timing & COBB with the OTS Maps provides map details of necessary requirements (gas octane/necessary mods). With ATR, I feel like the only people messing around with that are people who know what they're doing. With Open Source tuning, you are more likely to have people who have no idea what they're actually doing, what the map was designed for (91, 93, 100+, or E85 Maps), what mods were required, but because it's free & it'll increase the power they'll just flash for it.

The attractiveness of "cheap" if going to lure in a lot of people who have no idea what they're doing/what's being changed. But because it'll be super easy & not cost $500, they'll just copy, paste, flash & hope for the best. Luckily the OEM DME is very advanced and as long as someone isn't altering the knock detection/sensitivity settings, people will have enough intelligence to data log & not run a tune their motor doesn't agree with.
    One piggy uses CPS (which isn't real timing control) and the other uses the DME.

Like I said earlier, it'll be more of the same thing, people don't know what they're doing, so they stick to OTS maps or pay someone to make them a custom map, be it Cobb or this open source solution.

If people weren't afraid of breaking something, there wouldn't be a zillion "what is the best tune" or "what is the best FMIC" threads on shivpost.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Short of the 18.6 psi +/- boost cap, I don't find anything limiting about ATR. This reason is why I stack a piggy for boost control. It's a PITA to dial in, and it's quite limited.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    O2 tables, speedometer calibrations, check engine light nannies, dcfo tables (for those that want fuel economy), idle over/underspeed spark advance for those thinking about headwork/cams if they ever come out of the woodwork, throttle IAT follower settings for those with 6mt and light weight flywheels who want to shift in easymode, and on and on and on.

I probably missed about 532 :-)

Some of those people who "shouldn't" be tuning will make mistakes, and they will learn from those mistakes, and maybe further their own interests in tuning and become the next dzenno. Tuning ATR is a great stepping stone, but to say it's not lacking is false, although that's no fault of Cobb. IMO they are the reason the open source will be here sooner rather than later. And for that I'm happy I bought an AP, even if they didn't intentionally support the effort.

Will open source fix this and give us all the tables? Probably not. Definitely not now. But who knows, and nothing is stopping Cobb from stealing the open source discoveries and putting them right into ATR. Will open source destroy Cobb? No way, well not until these cars values hit under $10k, and maybe not even then especially if the price comes down.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Are you referring to going above the 1.28bar boost cap or running a boost curve in a different "shape?" IE instead of tapering off towards redline it climbs.
    I'm just talking about being able to set the boost target anywhere I want below 1.28 bar. I think it's worse at high elevation, but with the code I'm on there's no way to get the boost target above about 16psi in the upper rpm range. So even if I had turbos big enough to run 1.27 bar all the way to redline I would not be able to take advantage of them. Supposedly the "race code" will fix that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Carl Morris Click here to enlarge
    I'm just talking about being able to set the boost target anywhere I want below 1.28 bar. I think it's worse at high elevation, but with the code I'm on there's no way to get the boost target above about 16psi in the upper rpm range. So even if I had turbos big enough to run 1.27 bar all the way to redline I would not be able to take advantage of them. Supposedly the "race code" will fix that.
    Yep, Carl's main issues are caused by elevation and the DME has some pretty complex code for altitude compensations. I'm working to find all of these and have a way to remove them. I wouldn't recommend this for the everyday owner as it will likely overspeed the turbos, but Carl is aware of the risks and I understand his frustration for not being able to see requests that match the tables he's changing. We have no intention to hold anything back from the end-user, even if it could cause problems... we just need to get through the logic so we can give an understanding of what changes will need to be made.
    Josh Dankel
    ECU Engineer
    Click here to enlarge
    web | forum | blog | facebook | twitter | youtube

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You guys just let that slide?
    Legal isn't my department, but I've made everyone aware of the project. If it is our IP, then it will be up to someone else to decide what to do. Whether it's my work or someone else's that's being taken, I don't understand why they'd post about it in pubic. Kinda like taking a video of shoplifting and posting it on youtube... doesn't seem like a good idea.
    Josh Dankel
    ECU Engineer
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    as far as i'm aware, it's just limited in how far you can push the timing/boost/afr/vanos

unlike the ATP which .. well you could cause damage more easily as far as i'm aware lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    as far as i'm aware, it's just limited in how far you can push the timing/boost/afr/vanos

unlike the ATP which .. well you could cause damage more easily as far as i'm aware lol
    There are no differences between the content in ATR and ATP.
    Josh Dankel
    ECU Engineer
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not a fan of links for explanation but that's how you operate.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the info!!

There is some misinformation in the forums about this as if ATR would not offer the needed functionality for tuning.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Legal isn't my department, but I've made everyone aware of the project. If it is our IP, then it will be up to someone else to decide what to do. Whether it's my work or someone else's that's being taken, I don't understand why they'd post about it in pubic. Kinda like taking a video of shoplifting and posting it on youtube... doesn't seem like a good idea.
    I think they don't believe there will be consequences.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    oh, my bad

what's the main differences then?

just the ability to lock your maps, or are there other actual tuning advantages of any sort?

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast