Close

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tofu Click here to enlarge
    just a hunch...

or it could just be that you need to divorce the unit from your vehicle like the COBB. prevent you from flashing your friends' cars for free. i highly doubt he'll allow the device to be used freely on multiple vehicles, although that would be nice.
    that's still not ok for something supposedly 'open source'

though if true, and it *IS* open source, someone could easily make their own (and sell it) flash unit...
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Reselling will be no issue at all... not that you'd want to because this device makes other things look/feel/act like a baby toy Click here to enlarge
    335xi (sold)
    www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive datalogs

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Guys, Shiv has cleared it up. Its not open source defined by the entire open source community. Its open source, by the definition, of a few for profit tuners you can count on one hand. So if you were confused that it was real open source, that is why. Its a flashtuning cable and software with map editing. The end. Just forget the open source. Thats like someone claiming the are 1/32 caucasian.

You cant be open source when there is no source code. Its a map editor.

Outside of that, it sounds very promising.
    Last edited by klipseracer; 07-03-2013 at 10:49 AM.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 1200+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

lol.. just wait and see tomorrow
    335xi (sold)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Started as one thing, sold as another...Shiv's legacy continues to put a poor taste in everyone's mouth. Sigh shouldnt have sold the cobb early.
    SYVECS Standalone l Motiv Port Injection with Fuel It Stage 3 LPFP l MFactory LSD l CFS Racing Radiator l m3 front and rear control arms l ST Coilover System Vargas Stage 2+ Fully Upgraded Turbos l Vargas Inlet System l VRSF DP | VRSF FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | BMS Trunk Meth l Nitrous Express Dry l Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe with n20/meth bungs l Vargas HPFP Upgrade v1 l Agency Power Exhaust with n55 mid pipes l Apex AERO-7 Lightweight Wheels l Toyo R888s

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

LOL you guys haven't even seen it yet. Hilarious. Njz, you won't regret selling.
    335xi (sold)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Well now I have no choice so yeah I will be grabbing whatever comes out, I am just disappointed in the turn the project seemed to take from it's original path.
    SYVECS Standalone l Motiv Port Injection with Fuel It Stage 3 LPFP l MFactory LSD l CFS Racing Radiator l m3 front and rear control arms l ST Coilover System Vargas Stage 2+ Fully Upgraded Turbos l Vargas Inlet System l VRSF DP | VRSF FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | BMS Trunk Meth l Nitrous Express Dry l Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe with n20/meth bungs l Vargas HPFP Upgrade v1 l Agency Power Exhaust with n55 mid pipes l Apex AERO-7 Lightweight Wheels l Toyo R888s

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

You'll like what's coming, trust me. It's way cooler than you guys think
    335xi (sold)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

The more hype I see about things the more disappointed I tend to get when I find out the actual details. Hopefully this will be an exception to the rule. It's already got Shiv's taint on it so it better be pretty impressive to wash that off. Click here to enlarge

Practically speaking I don't see how flash tuning gets any better than the AP for tuning. Except for their logging capabilities. Phone based apps are not reliable enough for this sort of stuff (IMHO), and AP provides both a dedicated hardware solution and a laptop based solution. The AP loads maps changes fast and has proven to be exceptionally stable. So the only way it can get better in my opinion is by getting cheaper. I really hope this is a USB->CAN cable in the $150 price range that is NOT VIN locked. I think anything short of that will just invite more competition in to that market.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

only 1 day to go
    335xi (sold)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Njz Click here to enlarge
    Started as one thing, sold as another...Shiv's legacy continues to put a poor taste in everyone's mouth. Sigh shouldnt have sold the cobb early.
    That's what irks me the most.

It will probably be more powerful than the cobb unit and likely cheaper. judging from the way shiv is wording it, it started off as something completely more "open" and community oriented.

Shiv seems to be the reason these unnecessary limitations are being imposed. I have no problem paying for new hardware if it's truly required; no way to get around that (ignoring the fact that we've been flashing modules with cheap ebay cables for a while now). It's things like being married to one vehicle at a time, and closed source communication with the modules that piss me off.

Now this is all based on assumptions and we'll have the real info tomorrow, but a shady salesman will always be a shady salesman.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jpsimon Click here to enlarge
    only 1 day to go
    Must be dropping with the new firmware and maps for stock twins? July 4th of all days. AMURRICA!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I find it funny someone negged me. Everything in my post is true, someone doesnt like the truth. Or perhaps they dont like the fact that I'm calling them out for them taking this long to address the open source aspect of the project. Map editor. What the hellbis wrong with calling it that. The .ini file that goes along with an applicationbis editable and is loaded into an application. But having full access to a file like that is nothing like accessing the source code of the aapplication. Just because a few other tuners called it open source does not mean it is. Its like calling my water dihydrogen oxide, an attempt to make it sound cooler than it is. The maps are unlocked, editable. The end. No source code is anywhere, once I see some type of compilable source code then ill take it back.

So once again, despite this I will say it looks promising. Now you dorks who dont even know what source code looks like can neg me simply because I disagree with someone you support.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 1200+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pretty sure someone said they have the taste of Shiv's taint in their mouth.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Doyle Click here to enlarge
    Pretty sure someone said they have the taste of Shiv's taint in their mouth.
    I feel violated. Not even a courtesy dinner. Thanks Terry.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Funny stuff.... Where are those 10 second time slips for the fftec singles again?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Hey I said it had Shiv's taint on it I didn't say I tasted it. Apparently jp has though and likes it. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

zingggg
    335xi (sold)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    Guys, Shiv has cleared it up. Its not open source defined by the entire open source community. Its open source, by the definition, of a few for profit tuners you can count on one hand. So if you were confused that it was real open source, that is why. Its a flashtuning cable and software with map editing. The end. Just forget the open source. Thats like someone claiming the are 1/32 caucasian.

You cant be open source when there is no source code. Its a map editor.

Outside of that, it sounds very promising.
    Um then it's not open source.

I hope somebody posts all the code and he can F off.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

How is this being called open source then? Makes no sense. I guess we'll see what it really is tomorrow
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can't post links but a new thread has been started on E90 by RombinHood with the announcement.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Some of you figured as much though.

Can I flash multiple cars wither the same device?

No. Each OpenFlash Tablet can only flash the DME of one car at a time. However, it can be “unmarried” from the car by flashing the original ROM file into the DME and erasing the device contents. At which time, the device can be installed on a second car. But even when married to one DME, the device and be used in Diagnostics mode in other vehicles. Diagnostics mode will provide individual adaptation resets, code reading/clearing, data view and soon, data-logging and data graphing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Well, no disrespect to the developer as he clearly has put a lot of work in this. But I for one am seriously disappointed. Looks to be a Cobb knock off. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    looks pretty much like cobb... Vin locked as well.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast