Close

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)

Yea man - around that time I realized how cool the Internets were going to be for us car guys. I attended Vegas 98 and 00 too.

I still have most of the HKS stuff in the basement. The AEM P&P was a godsend! I still have one of those too.

Anyways, long live the N54. The 2JZ is already in the record books, it's time to get the N54 there Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    I remember Bryce's car making 894whp. That was with a T88-34D (very laggy turbo) and the spray. All these cars were running on alphabet soup at the time. Remember the VPC/BCC/FCD/APC combos? One for converting from meth to speed density; complete with a 'chip' on the VPC that allowed different injector sizes; then an APC-like thing for controlling fuel (which did so by tricking the ECU and causing more advanced timing to be run because it was just jumping around in a table), then the BCC for the boost-cut controller to lie to the ECU about the amount of boost to be run, then a FCD as a fuel-cut defender to keep the fuel from being cut.

And the Supra was pretty much always OBD1, the only OBD2 cars were the 97+98 and barely any of those were sold. 96 might have been, I can't recall (I do remember that there were no manual 96s due to emissions compliance).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Bleh I meant to say MAF to Speed density; not meth. Dunno how that happened.

And yeah, everything (and I mean everything) changed when the AEM PnP came out. I remember the original thread on SF like it was yesterday Click here to enlarge That $#@! was on backorder for a year; and for a while there was so much demand for it that it slowed the release of other platforms.

You could probably sell the HKS stuff to a museum lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    I remember Bryce's car making 894whp. That was with a T88-34D (very laggy turbo) and the spray. All these cars were running on alphabet soup at the time. Remember the VPC/BCC/FCD/APC combos? One for converting from meth to speed density; complete with a 'chip' on the VPC that allowed different injector sizes; then an APC-like thing for controlling fuel (which did so by tricking the ECU and causing more advanced timing to be run because it was just jumping around in a table), then the BCC for the boost-cut controller to lie to the ECU about the amount of boost to be run, then a FCD as a fuel-cut defender to keep the fuel from being cut.

And the Supra was pretty much always OBD1, the only OBD2 cars were the 97+98 and barely any of those were sold. 96 might have been, I can't recall (I do remember that there were no manual 96s due to emissions compliance).
    This is exactly why I wouldn't say the DME and DI is holding the N54 back anymore than imports back then. All the HKS gear was more expensive than we are spending on a tuner and the bolt ons. And I can assure you alot of N54's are running better times with less power than most of these imports (non professional) were in the late 90's and early 00's. I watched the MSP Efantis boys at the track with their Supra's for a few years trying to figure out how launch a car that has too much turbo, stumble off the line or have electrical hiccups and run a 13 with 800HP. But it was pretty hilarious to watch somebody try to get into some boost before the other car hit the finish.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kollegga Click here to enlarge
    Tony ....

this is really awesome !

Will you also offer some stealth packaging without "VARGAS" lettering on top of the kit ?!
    This would be very nice... if u open the hood and nobody can see (especially the men in green) whats in it Click here to enlarge
    All that is is a sticker, you can take it off if you want. Jake and Josh from Cobb were both like, thats a sticker, how has it not melted off its right above the turbos. Thats how good our heat shield is at deflecting the heat back down. hundreds of WOT pulls and a LOT of miles and the thing looks brand new...Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    10k is waay off

$2k in boltons, $600 odd in cobb, $1500 BEST CASE for diff, $8500 in turbo, $500 HPFP, $200LPFP... $1k (?) in driveshafts

Not counting labour, so, $15k maaaaybe in parts alone.
    $2k in bolt ons, $600 cobb, $8500 vtt, $700 hpfp/lpfp

sorry, about $11k. the question was to GET the power, not put it down Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    You need to get over your unhealthy fixation with me. I also don't need all that bad blood.
    He's just trying to downplay the greatness of the N54 engine...don't worry, it's not personal, it's for anyone trying to compare the N54 with the best stock engines out there Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Tony/dzenno, will you guys be offering ots maps with cobb in conjunction with this kit? Or is it required we get a pro tune?

Sorry if a noob question.

Thanks
    BSM 2008 135i N54
    -VRSF 7" IC -VRSF DP's -n55 mids -BERK race -ER CP -TIAL BOV -BMS DCI -JB4 G5 ISO -ST coils -STOPTECH slotted rotors & pads -SLeK lip

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wescuddles Click here to enlarge
    Tony/dzenno, will you guys be offering ots maps with cobb in conjunction with this kit? Or is it required we get a pro tune?

Sorry if a noob question.

Thanks
    It's actually a good question, long term. I don't expect dzenno to give away any of his work, but Cobb has been very slow to give all the ATR people the ability to control boost above a certain point. I'm hoping that changes because otherwise a pro tune will be the only way. So really it's more a question for Cobb than for Tony/dzenno. If Cobb also released a basic OTS map that will at least somewhat control the wastegates properly for that hardware that will just be a bonus.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Carl Morris Click here to enlarge
    It's actually a good question, long term. I don't expect dzenno to give away any of his work, but Cobb has been very slow to give all the ATR people the ability to control boost above a certain point. I'm hoping that changes because otherwise a pro tune will be the only way. So really it's more a question for Cobb than for Tony/dzenno. If Cobb also released a basic OTS map that will at least somewhat control the wastegates properly for that hardware that will just be a bonus.
    Thanks for the info. I plan on buying a kit but don't have anyone near by for a pro tune so an ots map for me would be ideal. Obviously, in a perfect world, where I had tens of thousands of dollars I could ship the car south for proper tuning. Unfortunately that doesn't quite fit my budget.
    BSM 2008 135i N54
    -VRSF 7" IC -VRSF DP's -n55 mids -BERK race -ER CP -TIAL BOV -BMS DCI -JB4 G5 ISO -ST coils -STOPTECH slotted rotors & pads -SLeK lip

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    The wastegates work like stock, so we had no issues there at all. I learned a lot while we worked on the car, so I'll be doing my best to implement changes to make for even better control. This stuff is very time consuming and I'm not trying to keep anything from end-users, we just need to get everything working and completely stable before release. The initial "race code" is not at this state and that's why it hasn't been released. Should be exciting times coming very soon. Don't worry, when it makes it to ATP, it will make it ATR at the same time (or close to it).
    Josh Dankel
    ECU Engineer
    Click here to enlarge
    web | forum | blog | facebook | twitter | youtube

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Josh@Cobb Click here to enlarge
    The wastegates work like stock, so we had no issues there at all. I learned a lot while we worked on the car, so I'll be doing my best to implement changes to make for even better control. This stuff is very time consuming and I'm not trying to keep anything from end-users, we just need to get everything working and completely stable before release. The initial "race code" is not at this state and that's why it hasn't been released. Should be exciting times coming very soon. Don't worry, when it makes it to ATP, it will make it ATR at the same time (or close to it).
    Good stuff!
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

'10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF DP, Fuel-it st2
    installing soon: Mfactory LSD, , powerflex subrframe bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Thanks for sharing, that's good info. My only concerns at this point in time are tune-related for my own personal car and this makes me feel a lot better Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Great info Josh, can you comment on how progress is going towards pushing past the ~22psi DME barrier?
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Great info Josh, can you comment on how progress is going towards pushing past the ~22psi DME barrier?
    I can tell you that we were well beyond 22psi for this testing. It's not the perfect solution yet, but I hope to make it that way before this kit is released. Its very tedious work, but with what I learned I think we'll be able to make several good changes. Changing the boost limit will only be part of the solution. We'll also need to change some of the load request functions and more. I have some really good ideas to play with that should help out everyone.
    Josh Dankel
    ECU Engineer
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

I can tell you that we were well beyond 22psi for this testing. It's not the perfect solution yet, but I hope to make it that way before this kit is released. Its very tedious work, but with what I learned I think we'll be able to make several good changes. Changing the boost limit will only be part of the solution. We'll also need to change some of the load request functions and more. I have some really good ideas to play with that should help out everyone.

Click here to enlarge
    PTF PROTuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Awesome news! Not sure if you feel like disclosing, but is the DME seeing/modeling based off the absolute pressure, or are you guys still using "other" methods like changing the voltage scaling for the MAP sensor?
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Awesome news! Not sure if you feel like disclosing, but is the DME seeing/modeling based off the absolute pressure, or are you guys still using "other" methods like changing the voltage scaling for the MAP sensor?
    There's a lot going on right now, and I'll keep some discretion for PTF since they are the owners of this tune (I was more of a consultant). However, in the end, the idea is to have the DME monitoring everything as it did from the factory... it will just have more tolerance for requests that would currently be out of bounds.
    Josh Dankel
    ECU Engineer
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

The wastegates work like stock, so we had no issues there at all.
    I understand they function in the same manner but I've assumed that there would be a learning curve to getting a boost curve where you wanted it even when all the tools are available. If you just slap an OTS map on it with the Stage 3 turbos, don't you end up with a different boost curve independent of spool issues? I would think the WGDC would need to be adjusted to get the same boost with such different turbos.

I learned a lot while we worked on the car, so I'll be doing my best to implement changes to make for even better control. This stuff is very time consuming and I'm not trying to keep anything from end-users, we just need to get everything working and completely stable before release. The initial "race code" is not at this state and that's why it hasn't been released. Should be exciting times coming very soon. Don't worry, when it makes it to ATP, it will make it ATR at the same time (or close to it).
    OK, thanks. I had been under the impression that the ATP guys have had access to some boost control tools for a while now (to support RBs) that the ATR guys did not have access to. It sounds like you're saying that the "race code" that supports upgraded turbos has been limited to just a few beta people.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

I understand they function in the same manner but I've assumed that there would be a learning curve to getting a boost curve where you wanted it even when all the tools are available. If you just slap an OTS map on it with the Stage 3 turbos, don't you end up with a different boost curve independent of spool issues? I would think the WGDC would need to be adjusted to get the same boost with such different turbos.

OK, thanks. I had been under the impression that the ATP guys have had access to some boost control tools for a while now (to support RBs) that the ATR guys did not have access to. It sounds like you're saying that the "race code" that supports upgraded turbos has been limited to just a few beta people.
    Ahh, yes, current OTS maps would definitely not be compatible with this setup. There was/is a large learning curve, but PTF has done a great job on their end and I'll do what I can to provide the best control possible for everyone down the road. The "race code" is definitely only in a few peoples' hands because of its nature. If it was completely stable, it would be in all ATP/ATR releases. Its always up to the end-user or ProTuner to know what they're doing with what we provide or face the consequences.
    Part of what makes the N54 DME great is all of the safety features that keep you from screwing up anything too bad. Now that these cars are being pushed harder, we finding out how some the DME's safety features can be a hindrance to power. As more gets exposed, control will be put more in the hands of the tuner instead of the DME. I know this is something you've been waiting for, so keep an eye out for new features in the coming months.
    Josh Dankel
    ECU Engineer
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Ahh, yes, current OTS maps would definitely not be compatible with this setup. There was/is a large learning curve, but PTF has done a great job on their end and I'll do what I can to provide the best control possible for everyone down the road. The "race code" is definitely only in a few peoples' hands because of its nature. If it was completely stable, it would be in all ATP/ATR releases. Its always up to the end-user or ProTuner to know what they're doing with what we provide or face the consequences.
    Part of what makes the N54 DME great is all of the safety features that keep you from screwing up anything too bad. Now that these cars are being pushed harder, we finding out how some the DME's safety features can be a hindrance to power. As more gets exposed, control will be put more in the hands of the tuner instead of the DME. I know this is something you've been waiting for, so keep an eye out for new features in the coming months.
    Release some more values as beta or "advanced" then, I know you have them... ATR is great, but I know you must have O2 tables, min/max values or tables for many of the safety features, etc. I bet you've cracked code for anything related to any of the trouble codes in the DME, and there are many of them. If there are any hysteresis between values not evident already I guarantee they would be discovered in short order with some of us tinkering around.

Pleeeeaaaaassse! I only get to play for another two months!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

You're kidding, As long as the logic it ATR is available, OTS Maps are the least important thing, especially because this is still a completely stock motor with a turbo system operating identical to OEM.

Let's be real: if you can afford a ~$5k+ turbo system, you can afford the $500 it costs to PROtune
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    You're kidding, As long as the logic it ATR is available, OTS Maps are the least important thing, especially because this is still a completely stock motor with a turbo system operating identical to OEM.

Let's be real: if you can afford a ~$5k+ turbo system, you can afford the $500 it costs to PROtune
    I get what you're saying, but I'm a tinkerer and like to play with things myself and I do a lot of experimentation with things like E85. I'd pay for a base 91 octane map if that got me an unlocked map that I could tinker with myself from there, but I don't expect Dzenno to sell unlocked maps. So I'm dependent on Cobb to provide/sell me the tools I need. As much as I like this platform I'm not in the mood to start disassembling from scratch. This is a lot more complicated than the 1g DSM code was.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

I get what you're saying, but I'm a tinkerer and like to play with things myself and I do a lot of experimentation with things like E85. I'd pay for a base 91 octane map if that got me an unlocked map that I could tinker with myself from there, but I don't expect Dzenno to sell unlocked maps.
    But like I said, that's having the logic made readily available in ATR. It's not like anything drastic has been changed: the Vargas Stage 3s are still a twin turbo setup that operate in the OEM vacuum controlled WG fashion. You'll need to monitor all your normal channels when tuning, you just slow increase your values.

I understand that it'd be a lot easier to have a starting point closer to a finished product (vs. using the OEM Turbo OTS Maps and slowly building them to support twin GTXs), but it's still going to tuning the exact same way.

Side Note: Tuning yourself with stock turbos, you're more than likely to destroy the snails before you seriously inflict damage on the motor. With the Stage 3s, you're more than likely going to ruin the motor before the turbos. Because I have no credible tuning knowledge, I wouldn't "tinker and play" with this kind of setup in ATR unless I had a concrete understanding of what I was doing.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I know what I'm doing. There are limitations in the currently released Cobb ATR tool that you may not be aware of, though. Josh@Cobb has adequately addressed those concerns for now. I'll be able to follow the process you are envisioning once the tool is updated and I buy some bigger turbos.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast