Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great response and service from Wavetrac, quite impressed.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Great response and service from Wavetrac, quite impressed.
    yeah I'm now a bit relived. but still pissed the shop is acting shady as F.
    Click here to enlarge
    Instagram: Sammy0559
    VTX3's Click here to enlarge
    Got one more tow with AAA lets make it count Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sammy_0559 Click here to enlarge
    yeah I'm now a bit relived. but still pissed the shop is acting shady as F.
    Well let's see how it goes.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Glad this is moving in the right direction.

In the email, Wavetrac noted that they attached notes for setting backlash. Would you be able to post those notes?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127
    Glad this is moving in the right direction.

In the email, Wavetrac noted that they attached notes for setting backlash. Would you be able to post those notes?

BMW_axles_require_backlash_adjustment.pdf
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Huh, not much there we don't already know. Thanks for posting, however.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    Huh, not much there we don't already know. Thanks for posting, however.
    i know saw it thinking it was a step by step procedure. after reading it i was like meh... haha
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    any resolution yet?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by skatenc123 Click here to enlarge
    any resolution yet?

here a small update.
    i don't want to name shops just yet because i feel like its not morally correct just yet lol lets see what happens when i get my diff.. still haven't gotten a call or anything.
    lets just name them
    Shop A(who i took my diff to)
    Shop B(where my diff really is at)

Im extremely busy during the week. but i found out where my differential really is at, shop A that i took my differential to apparently (they might I've seen it before on e36/46') doesn't do the work but takes it to reputable shop and claims to do the work. not sure or they try to do the work then when they fail they take it to shop B. the other shop that actually does the differential. is a wavetrac dealer. honestly the guy is down to earth I've got some tig welding done there before i learned how to do it myself. i had to find time to drop by that shop this week before my diff was ready to get 2 sides of the story before i paid any money to anyone. and figure out exactly what was going on. so i went there.

met with the guy, talked to him he remembered me (thank fully) told him what was going on with my car (blown trans ECT ECT) he was like "do you want to see your diff? " i said "hell yessss" LOL took me to my diff showed me and told me exactly what happened, it was brought to him he had my bad diff already set up on a gage and tuned it and showed me that Wavetrac sent me a bad diff it had more of a wavy surface that you could not see. This guy knows his $#@! the new Diff wavetrac over nighted was sitting right next to it. he told me he will get to it as soon as he can, i told him no rush i won't have time to pick it up till friday evening(truth). HE told me he could not custom machine shims for this particular diff because of the way his CNC machine is(thank god because that originally what i thought, and was going to be paying extra for them). he told me the ones he has from wavetrac should work and he had all the sizes LOL one of the reasons 1 week was lost was because shop A said he can get a hold of shims but wasn't able to (cutting corners?) Shop B told me he will take care of it and not to worry.
    in all honestly im completely relived. i know everything that happened form A-Z,
    ALL i was worried about was Shop A screwing me over for some custom shims. or custom anything. or blowing smoke up my ass telling me my transmission going out could caused issues with the diff. ECT ECT ECT.

anyways. i should have the diff tomorrow.
    THe issue was my wavetrac had a manufacturing defect. just my luck with this car.. lol
    basically what needs to be done is install the new diff and ring gear install shims, set backlash insert seals that i provided. put together give back to me.
    now i wonder if I'm still paying an extra 200-300 for "shims"
    we will see. not sure if shop A knows i had a small visit to Shop B... hope they don't dig themselves in a deeper hole. i don't understand the concept behind covering up LOL just be up front with me.

excuse my awesome grammar.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Damn Sammy this is crazy bro...We did you ABS module last week thinking the diff would be here already. WOW
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Cn555ic Click here to enlarge
    Damn Sammy this is crazy bro...We did you ABS module last week thinking the diff would be here already. WOW
    im telling you i was PISSED LOL even before i made this thread, I just about lost it after making this thread... not sure if wavetrac should pay for labor tho :p

I'm just itching to drive that car again.. so exited!!!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Interesting. Glad someone able to operate a dial indicator got a hold of your differential and was able to diagnose the problem. Seems like Wavetrac and Shop B are good people. If you want Wavetrac to cover labor, call 'em up and approach the situation like a negotiation. Don't demand anything, and even if they don't give you everything you ask for, something is better than nothing.

On a side note, what exactly did you do to you ABS module?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So far so good, appreciate the updates.

At least Shop A had the sense to realize they were in over their heads, and knew of Shop B. I don't think you should have to pay anything beyond what a trouble free install of a good Wavetrac would have cost, and it should not be up to you to negotiate anything, this should be between Shop A, B and Wavetrac to eat anything additional incurred.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    And this whole debacle is a case in point for why you should always measure backlash in multiple positions on the diff!

Happy to see some resolution! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Clarity is always good for peace of mind when it comes to having a shop modifying your car. Especially when things go sour.
    But, on the other hand, if you would have tried to install the Wavetrac yourself you really would have been in trouble.
    Tripple guessing yourself what you're doing wrong not getting it installed correctly, when it turned out to be a faulty LSD all along.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    Clarity is always good for peace of mind when it comes to having a shop modifying your car. Especially when things go sour.
    But, on the other hand, if you would have tried to install the Wavetrac yourself you really would have been in trouble.
    Tripple guessing yourself what you're doing wrong not getting it installed correctly, when it turned out to be a faulty LSD all along.
    i would've ran to shop A LOL

Shop A would ran to shop B

Shop B would have fixed it haha..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Interesting. Glad someone able to operate a dial indicator got a hold of your differential and was able to diagnose the problem. Seems like Wavetrac and Shop B are good people. If you want Wavetrac to cover labor, call 'em up and approach the situation like a negotiation. Don't demand anything, and even if they don't give you everything you ask for, something is better than nothing.

On a side note, what exactly did you do to you ABS module?
    Just replaced it, it was throwing codes every now and then, installed the abs pump in 10 mins... bleed the brakes in 15, code the stupid pump 2 hours LMAO but we got everything figured out should take a lot less nextime.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't understand how the shop charging 300 would even take on a job like that , what are they making 50-100? Odd they wouldn't just send you to the other shop. $300 is very cheap and even cheaper considering they were subbing it out... That's just weird...
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If the housing was removed from the car, I would think it should take no more than two hours to install the new diff and bolt the housing back together. The thing I had most trouble with was the bearing race on the one side of the differential. I would have just purchased a new bearing had I known it was going to be such a problem. I actaully had to cut some reliefs into the stock diff to get a bearing puller on it. The next hardest part is the ring bolts, but if you heat up the ring gear, it helps loosen the red Loctite.

I think $300 is a reasonable price to install the diff. If shop A had been able to do the job the first time, I don't think shop B would have even been involved.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If the housing was removed from the car, I would think it should take no more than two hours to install the new diff and bolt the housing back together. The thing I had most trouble with was the bearing race on the one side of the differential. I would have just purchased a new bearing had I known it was going to be such a problem. I actaully had to cut some reliefs into the stock diff to get a bearing puller on it. The next hardest part is the ring bolts, but if you heat up the ring gear, it helps loosen the red Loctite.

I think $300 is a reasonable price to install the diff. If shop A had been able to do the job the first time, I don't think shop B would have even been involved.
    I took the LSD unit and diff to a general machine shop. Paid them $40 to remove the bearing races and gear and install it onto the LSD unit. Took it back home and installed it back into the pumpkin and backlash was in spec.

$300 is very reasonable, especially for installation. I'd expect that if you just dropped of the pumpkin itself, not the full removal/reinstall.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    I took the LSD unit and diff to a general machine shop. Paid them $40 to remove the bearing races and gear and install it onto the LSD unit. Took it back home and installed it back into the pumpkin and backlash was in spec.

$300 is very reasonable, especially for installation. I'd expect that if you just dropped of the pumpkin itself, not the full removal/reinstall.
    I did the removal took the pumpkin to them, they quoted me 450+300 to remove the diff haha my car was already apart from the diff bushings and transmission install at my shop.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sammy_0559 Click here to enlarge
    I did the removal took the pumpkin to them, they quoted me 450+300 to remove the diff haha my car was already apart from the diff bushings and transmission install at my shop.
    Hah nice.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Update: long story short. Shop A told me it was still at the machine shop. got a call back told me 20 mins later (i guess they found out i visited shop B) so they told me to just pick it up from them and pay him and it will be $500. meh i don't care anymore, told them i will pick it up tomorrow morning. i asked him where the extra $150 came from, he told me crush sleeves and shims. LOL i was like OK...

honestly if it was an 50 for parts and 100 for the extra PITA. i understand. but telling me it was $150 for parts. ._. really?..

my question is: what do shims and crush sleeves run? not $150 haha... what else would be needed for the install. just so i know what I'm talking about.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Where in the diff assembly are the crush sleeves used? I don't recall purchasing those when I did my diff.

I think you can only buy the shims in sets, so maybe that is why the price of them is inflated.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I didn't have any crush sleeves either.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast