Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Diff Taking 3 weeks to install WHAT THE F...

So i dropped off the diff at a well known Track shop in Our area they have a bunch of e36 and e46 track cars, and outstanding reviews.
    so order my wavetrac and did not feel like i wanted to do it myself. Backlash seating the seals ECT.
    so i took it to the shop and they said they will install it, it should take about a day. but they couldn't get to it till about 3 days. i dropped it off the 21s of march and told me it will be ready on the 25th, i got extremely busy that week called wed and they told me friday. i was like okay ill have the weekend to finish my car. never got a call. called no one picked up. went up there monday they were closed. No notes signs or anything.

anyway long story short. i go up there in the 4th to ask what the deal is.
    He told me the diff is at a machine shop getting custom shims made because the BMW ones wouldn't get him the right backlash, he ordered all the sizes from wavetrac and they wouldn't get him the right backlash. and he ended up sending it to the machine shop to get them custom made the again told me tomorrow it will be ready. Click here to enlarge (Fkin call me let me know whats going on AT LEAST)

Come friday. yeah no. still at the machine shop.
    me: "can you pressure them to finish the damn thing"
    Him: "no I'm already about 1k into this install"

I'm paying. $350 for the install.
    and not sure 200-300 for shims.

Im about to flip $#@!. at this point i WISH i did a core swap Click here to enlarge

my question is.. what could have went wrong. like seriously, it probably would've taken me a week to do and i have no clue what I'm doing.
    Click here to enlarge
    Instagram: Sammy0559
    VTX3's Click here to enlarge
    Got one more tow with AAA lets make it count Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Damn that stinks, hope it gets resolved properly for you
    PTF PROTuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

From most account's I've read, stock shims work great, and I can personally offer anecdotal evidence to confirm this. The differentials are precisely machined parts and the housings are cast parts. Most of the manufacturing tolerance is in the housing. So if you have the same housing, and the same shims, you should get the same backlash.

When I did mine I started with ~0.004 inches of backlash with the stock diff and when I was done I had ~0.0035 inches with the Wavetrac.

There are two different housing sizes that come in the E9x series 335i. Are you sure you got the right size differential for your housing?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    From most account's I've read, stock shims work great, and I can personally offer anecdotal evidence to confirm this. The differentials are precisely machined parts and the housings are cast parts. Most of the manufacturing tolerance is in the housing. So if you have the same housing, and the same shims, you should get the same backlash.

When I did mine I started with ~0.004 inches of backlash with the stock diff and when I was done I had ~0.0035 inches with the Wavetrac.

There are two different housing sizes that come in the E9x series 335i. Are you sure you got the right size differential for your housing?

My car is 09/07 and i ordered a small pumpkin, i also asked if the diff didn't fit or if its the wrong diff. he told me no its correct, but I'm either getting 0 backlash or 0.005-0.006 backlash..

Im so lost and so busy to keep up with whats going on :/
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Spec is 0.003 to 0.005" according to the Former Boosted IS install thread. So you are telling me the guy you got to do your install could not get the proper shims from BMW to adjust the backlash 0.001 inch?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Spec is 0.003 to 0.005" according to the Former Boosted IS install thread. So you are telling me the guy you got to do your install could not get the proper shims from BMW to adjust the backlash 0.001 inch?
    I guess... I have no idea, I'm going up there to raise hell after my exam today. i hope he doesn't come up with an excuse, he just starts throwing information at me when i try to argue Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Ask him to show you what the problem is instead of just explaining it to you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Yup, agreed. I think your installer doesn't know how to install the diff. Mine was also in spec from the beginning to end.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    Yup, agreed. I think your installer doesn't know how to install the diff. Mine was also in spec from the beginning to end.
    i want to show him this thread.. LOL
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sammy_0559 Click here to enlarge
    i want to show him this thread.. LOL
    He might get angry when he finds a backyard mechanic did it in his own garage with a few tools from harbor freight and a leaky sears-brand carjack. Click here to enlarge (I'm not the only one, quite a few of us here)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

He might get angry when he finds a backyard mechanic did it in his own garage with a few tools from harbor freight and a leaky sears-brand carjack. Click here to enlarge (I'm not the only one, quite a few of us here)
    I know.. I should've done it myself Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

I know.. I should've done it myself Click here to enlarge
    Well I don't think you could have seen it coming. Doing diff-swaps isn't exactly EASY unless you're familiar with the more involved car mods. And it is best to leave it up to a shop sometimes. It definitely takes the risk off your shoulders.

But remember:
    If you're paid/paying for the car, there's a good chance the person who will put the most attention to detail and be the most careful with your car, is yourself. There's plenty of high-end shops that throw this axiom on its head (and many times, like transmissions and alignments, there really is a need for special tools or training). But in general, I've found that I only trust myself to work on my own car (It's a point of personal pride too Click here to enlarge ).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Well I don't think you could have seen it coming. Doing diff-swaps isn't exactly EASY unless you're familiar with the more involved car mods. And it is best to leave it up to a shop sometimes. It definitely takes the risk off your shoulders.

But remember:
    If you're paid/paying for the car, there's a good chance the person who will put the most attention to detail and be the most careful with your car, is yourself. There's plenty of high-end shops that throw this axiom on its head (and many times, like transmissions and alignments, there really is a need for special tools or training). But in general, I've found that I only trust myself to work on my own car (It's a point of personal pride too Click here to enlarge ).
    No body but my self has ever touched my car.. all the mods done myself, installed the trans the turbos, everything. i should've done the Diff too what was i thinking lol just got back from the shop and the guy I'm dealing with isn't there and isn't picking up my calls... idk time for attorney.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

That blows. Best of luck and keep us posted

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

No body but my self has ever touched my car.. all the mods done myself, installed the trans the turbos, everything. i should've done the Diff too what was i thinking lol just got back from the shop and the guy I'm dealing with isn't there and isn't picking up my calls... idk time for attorney.
    Good on ya. I'll remember your pain if I'm ever contemplating letting someone touch my car Click here to enlarge I'd rep you again for the DIY brotherhood, but I gotta spread it around more lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Good on ya. I'll remember your pain if I'm ever contemplating letting someone touch my car Click here to enlarge I'd rep you again for the DIY brotherhood, but I gotta spread it around more lol.
    LOL appreciate it!

Update:
    so just got a call finally... apparently my ring gear is warped. or wavetrac sent me a bad diff... they said they've been in contact with wave trac and they are trying to figure out whats going on..

he told me that they set the backlash they got it correct, then when they turn it to check backlash again it was completely off.. I'm so lost i just want my car back Click here to enlarge

nothing was wrong with my diff when i gave it to them.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Is this a bolted rear diff or a welded rear diff?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Derk1127 Click here to enlarge
    Is this a bolted rear diff or a welded rear diff?
    Bolted
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

What is your take? Are they screwing you for more money? Do they really know what they are doing? Or was it lemon Diff.?

call Wavtrac yourself and see if the shop is really been calling them. I'm sorry but I can't stand when vendors/shops don't follow up with the customers. Especially when it's adding more $$, from day one they should be keeping you posted. Sounds fishy to me, but that's just me.
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
    Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / DCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

OP didn't your car break some axles on hard launches a while back? And eventually a tranny? I wonder if the diff could be damaged as a result and this is why the problems w/ setting backlash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

[COLOR=[URL=http://www.bimmerboost.com/misc.php?do=dbtech_usertag_hash&hash=222222%5D%5BF ONT%3DTimes%5D%5BQUOTE%3DVNeBLOB42]#222222]
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42[/URL
    438546]What is your take? Are they screwing you for more money? Do they really know what they are doing? Or was it lemon Diff.?

call Wavtrac yourself and see if the shop is really been calling them. I'm sorry but I can't stand when vendors/shops don't follow up with the customers. Especially when it's adding more $$, from day one they should be keeping you posted. Sounds fishy to me, but that's just me.
    I just sent wavetrac a long email of exactly whats going on. it just pisses me off that i have to driver 30 mins to figure anything out.
    [/COLOR]
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajsalida Click here to enlarge
    OP didn't your car break some axles on hard launches a while back? And eventually a tranny? I wonder if the diff could be damaged as a result and this is why the problems w/ setting backlash.
    yes that is true, but if the ring gear was warped or anything wrong with my diff there would be signs of significant wear. it would've ate itself inside out and metal shards be all over. not sure. again the diff is not at their shop i haven't even seen it since i dropped off the DIFF, LSD, SEALS on the 21st. I'm mechanically inclined not sure if they are hiding something from me at this point i don't mind paying $300 more i just want my car running and my diff done right.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Could the ring gear get warped if the bolts were not removed a little at a time? Could they have applied too much heat to loosen the red Loctite? Can't they lay a straight edge against the back side of the gear to check for flatness? I can't really imagine Wavetrac sent you a diff with an uneven ring gear mating surface.

Something just doesn't sound right about this situation. Hope you get a resolution soon.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Could the ring gear get warped if the bolts were not removed a little at a time? Could they have applied too much heat to loosen the red Loctite? Can't they lay a straight edge against the back side of the gear to check for flatness? I can't really imagine Wavetrac sent you a diff with an uneven ring gear mating surface.

Something just doesn't sound right about this situation. Hope you get a resolution soon.
    i don't know what exactly is going on I'm busy all week and won't free up till friday. if its not done by friday afternoon ready or not I'm going up there and demanding to see my diff and for them to SHOW me what is going on. I'm fed up.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Apparently they have so much other work that is higher dollar that they are just pushing you to the side.

This is when you come here, post the shop's name, and we let everyone know.

He's in it for $1k? BS, they aren't running a charity there. You tell him to get it done or you go somewhere else and let everyone know how you were treated. Tell him that comes straight from me if you need to.

Secondly, I doubt Wavetrack literally $#@!ed up almost everything on your diff. If there are major issues do these take 3 weeks to find when you are pressing to get it done? Every time you ask something else goes wrong?

Put some heat on them, you aren't paying them with food stamps.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Apparently they have so much other work that is higher dollar that they are just pushing you to the side.

This is when you come here, post the shop's name, and we let everyone know.

He's in it for $1k? BS, they aren't running a charity there. You tell him to get it done or you go somewhere else and let everyone know how you were treated. Tell him that comes straight from me if you need to.

Secondly, I doubt Wavetrack literally $#@!ed up almost everything on your diff. If there are major issues do these take 3 weeks to find when you are pressing to get it done? Every time you ask something else goes wrong?

Put some heat on them, you aren't paying them with food stamps.

Mr Sammy,

Thanks for the email.
    We are sorry to hear that you have had trouble communicating with the shop you hired to build your LSD. We know that can be frustrating. Communication is everything in a service industry, and lack of it creates stressful situations.

We can confirm that as of late yesterday, we are dealing with a possible assembly fault on a 188K BMW Wavetrac with one of our dealers in your area. We are pretty certain this is your Wavetrac.
    We have not had contact from (company censored for now lol ) , nor are they a Wavetrac dealer.

Based on feedback that our dealer provided us last night, we are replacing the unit he has there with a new one today. It will be to him tomorrow, April 10.
    We don't know for sure the cause of the issue, but know enough to go ahead and replace the unit now to ensure the Wavetrac itself is not causing any issues in the rear end build.
    We apologize for delaying your project, but are doing our best to get it taken care of as quickly as possible.

I have attached a tip sheet on BMW backlash adjustment for your information. It explains why backlash adjustment is required when any of the key components of the assembly are replaced.
    Don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions. Ryan in sales is familiar with your case. He will help in any way he can, but please use your shop ((company censored for now lol ) ) as your first point of contact regarding scheduling etc.

Regards,
    AUTOTECHdriveline
    29 Journey
    Aliso Viejo, CA 92656-3333 USA
    Tel +1.949.362.8700 x25 Fax +1.949.362.8720
    www.wavetrac.net

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Monday, April 08, 2013 7:28 PM
    To: info@wavetrac.net
    Subject: Wavetrac issue.

Hello,

I needed to verify a situation on your behalf. I had recently bought a new 09/07 build LSD. I took it to a company called (company censored for now lol ) in FortWorth, Texas. i had initially dropped the differential off march 21st and was Promised it to be done the 25th at the time i had a window of a week to get it done so i was in no rush at all. i called on the 27th and was promised it to be done by the end of the week (friday). never got a call back or update to my situation friday.
    Call monday no one answers. went to the shop and they were closed this was on the 1st.
    i called again never got a call back left a voicemail that i wanted to pickup the differential ready or not im taking it somewhere else. or doing it myself. never got a call back.
    Showed up there Thursday the 4th and got in contact with the Co owner handling my differential. he told me that the bmw shims were not giving him the right backlash. initially when i wanted to do this my self the i know for a fact the bmw shims should work. Basically the backlash you start with is the backlash you should end with. im a mechanic as well and i know my $#@! excuse my french. i just did not have the time to do the diff. and took it to them because they are well known and we exchange business a lot. So he sent my differential to a machine shop that i still dont know exists or not. he told me he was custom makeing me shims because all the ones from "wavetrac" did not work nor did the bmw ones.
    I was like okay. he told me friday. the 5th i will be ready. called at the end of the day. never got a response. i was furious all weekend.
    This morning i went to them and the guy im dealing with was supposedly at the machine shop figuring im situation. Explained that the stock bmw shims should or you have no clue what you are doing. he told me he will let me know as soon as he gets info on it. He called me 2 hours ago telling me my ring gear might be warped. THAT is outrageous. im sorry but it take some serious screwing to bend one of those. i went along and was like okay. he told me were still waiting on wavetrac to send us measurements ECT so we can compare to the one we have....

called about 30 mins ago. told me Wavetrac (you) got back to them and the measurements were off and the diff was not "true" giving odd backlash numbers at different points in the ring-gear. He told me that you guys sent him a overnight shipping label and it will be shipped out first thing tomorrow morning. So this makes it seen Wavetrac is at fault.

I have just about lost it. as you can see in my semi essay letter. I dont know what going on but i couldve finished that diff in 3 days. But he's also telling me that Wavetrac also said that you wer out of stock of the 09/07 build transmissions. Im about to take some serious Legal action if i dont get to the bottom of this. as of now i dont know where my DIff is or where my wavetrac LSD. this has been a wild goose chase and im furious.
    I was just wondering if what hes telling me is true are you guys aware of the situation or is smoke being blown up my ass.
    all i needed was my LSD installed in my diff. Is that too much to ask for?!

I have never HEARD of anyone having these type of issues. Im an active forum member on e90post, bimmer boost and n54tech. and can make a lot of people look really bad at this point.

Thank you for your time,

sammy.

Thats straight from my EMail...
    So i did some digging and found where my diff is actually at.. its not at a machine shop its at another motor sports shop that really is a wavetrac dealer. i was torn taking my diff to either of these companies. i chose one company and turns out they work together i think. but according to wavetrac the diff really is a rotten apple.

not really sure if I'm gonna end up paying labor for the shop i hired and the shop that actually doing my Build.

from my understanding now. when they get the differential. everything should run smoothly again..."custom shims are NOT needed"
    basically back to square one.
    and all is needed is .labor+ my diff +LSD+ seals+ bmw stock shims= gimmi my diff back.
    not sure if I'm sill in for the $300 install lol
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast