Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Major issue trying to dyno a 6MT 335i Euro Touring M style 2007

Hi guys,

My tuner and i are clueless about the following problem trying to dyno my BONE STOCK 2007 European 335i E91 (Touring) with 6 speed MT. He has a Land and Sea Axle Hub dyno. He's been tuning cars with this setup for the last 2 years and had a car on it successfully last week.

We connected the rear axle to the hubs and booted the system. So far, so food. When starting the car, i made sure to hold the DTC button for 7 seconds or so until the light comes on and a big warning saying DSC is deactivated.

We put it in 4th gear and then rev it to 2000 rpm. At that moment he hits the button on the dynomite software to calibrate it. However, when he then let go of the gas, and our rev lowered back to 600 rpm, the machine kept going at 2000 rpm. WTF ???!???!!?? Unless there's a lepricon inside the vehicle peddling away on some sevret device no one told me about, this is out of the twilight zone.

We tried this at 2000, 2500 3000, reset the complete system with shutdown, all to no avail. After 1 hour of trying we did one run and gave up. The run failed miserably (supposedly 500 Nm and 264 wHP, yeah right, i wished !)

Again, the car is absolutely bone stock. Does anyone has a clue what's going on ? I'm sure we made a stupid blunder either with the setup or calibration. I at least want to rule out that it couldn't be from my diff.

We did smell an odor of something getting quite hot; i figured maybe it's some dust on the brake pads, but not sure.

Any hint is welcome !

greetings,
    Jeroen

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Forgot to mention:

During the run the obvious warning lights came on: ABS failure, flat tire monitor failure, airbag failure.

When driving home they all disappeared again.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dubversion Click here to enlarge
    Forgot to mention:

During the run the obvious warning lights came on: ABS failure, flat tire monitor failure, airbag failure.

Not sure about your issue on the OP, but the warnings are normal because you're Rear wheels are moving front wheels are not.
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
    Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / DCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Major differential issue maybe? Does this happen on normal roads when you let off the gas?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Forgot to mention:

That's normal
    PTF PROTuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Agree, freaked me out the first time all those lights came on Click here to enlarge Have no idea what the dyno issue might be. The tuner Bren has a hub dyno maybe one of his customers can help you out.
    Kevin
    2011 335is 7DCT/JB4 G5-ISO BMS Flash
    2013 135is 6MT - JB4 G5-ISO
    FF Cobra Mk-IV work in progress

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @BrenM3

It's probably the eDiff being difficult and trying to fight the dyno. The EDC is 100% disabled?
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Land and Seas are known to be unreliable. But disable DTC and run the car at low speed to the point it will throw all the lights, dont remove the key and start your runs. Sounds like you needed a better dyno technician.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hi Bren,

I think your right. It's certainly not the dyno technician, he just never experienced this. Seems like the open diff somehow didn't put 50/50 power to the wheels and the car noticed a difference in wheel speed so the auto brake kicked in, probably on the right side of the car (the left right brake was stone cold, failed to check the right rear brake for heat). This would explain the burning smell.

Another "fantastic" BMW feature: make a button to disable DTC, but then not actually do it. Thanks BMW.

We'll schedule a new run as soon as i've figured out which fuse to pull to eliminate the DTC. I've read tricks with the hand brake pulled just enough to make contact, but i don't want to go down that route.

If anyone can help with the fuse number, i'd be much obliged !

greetings,
    Jeroen

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Hi Guys, good news:

************** ISSUE SOLVED *********************

We ended up pulling the rear axle speed sensors (ABS sensor) on both sides of the car. Instead of removing the sensor near the axle, it's much quicker to unscrew one screw holding the fire wall and then disconnect the wire there. Takes 10 minutes and completely eliminates the ABS brake system. I didn't even have to push the DTC button. I couldn't anyways, because i already had the standard "Flat Tyre check signal missing" failure (the dyno measures the torque on the axle, the wheel has to be removed).

So if anyone wants to dyno their BMW on a hun dyno, make sure you pull the sensors.

greetings,
    Jeroen

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hi Guys, good news:

************** ISSUE SOLVED *********************

We ended up pulling the rear axle speed sensors (ABS sensor) on both sides of the car. Instead of removing the sensor near the axle, it's much quicker to unscrew one screw holding the fire wall and then disconnect the wire there. Takes 10 minutes and completely eliminates the ABS brake system. I didn't even have to push the DTC button. I couldn't anyways, because i already had the standard "Flat Tyre check signal missing" failure (the dyno measures the torque on the axle, the wheel has to be removed).

So if anyone wants to dyno their BMW on a hun dyno, make sure you pull the sensors.

greetings,
    Jeroen
    Thank for the update Jeroen.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale