Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Nothing beats the value & performance of a DCI setup -- Whether you go with the BMS, CP-Es, ETS, Injen or aFe. IMO, if you're spending over $400 (and that's generous) on an intake on this platform, you're throwing away perfectly good mod money
    I agree. A little shielding can't hurt however

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    I agree. A little shielding can't hurt however
    Nah, I'm not saying the aFe sealed intake is bad, but I think we can all agree that at a certain point you're paying for something more aesthetically pleasing then strictly performance focused. I know the BMS DCIs at $95 is the best buy, but I went a similar route & wanted something a little more "clean" when it was installed so I went with the next logical option and got the aFe DCIs with the heatshield "tray".
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Terry: The filter, when the airbox is mounted, actually lifts from the bottom of the box. I can feel my hand around the bottom of it, and the ducted air goes to that general area mostly. I'm assuming your N55 intake works in a similar manner? Overall I still think that with the size of our compressors, any intake will work. My buddies 6.0 truck that runs 34psi on a massive aftermarket turbo uses a similar sized filter.
    It looks good and I'm sure it will perform just fine. In the big scheme of things $400 isn't that much anyway. My only point on the airflow was theoretical in response to BuraQ's theoretical argument. Drawing air from the top only would be less ideal than drawing air from the bottom only, in my opinion. In practice I'm sure this outflows the factory turbos either way so no issues there. Same goes for the filter. Just thinking down the road if you upgrade turbos. The filter is just a bit on the small side for 500rw IMHO. For 450rw when clean no issue.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Nah, I'm not saying the aFe sealed intake is bad, but I think we can all agree that at a certain point you're paying for something more aesthetically pleasing then strictly performance focused. I know the BMS DCIs at $95 is the best buy, but I went a similar route & wanted something a little more "clean" when it was installed so I went with the next logical option and got the aFe DCIs with the heatshield "tray".
    I think that specific one is the one I dyno tested that lost 10rw over a DCI. But it had dirty filters so maybe related.

DCI cars have run 125mph stock turbo. So performance/value it can't be beat. But we know its not for everyone. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yeah it's definately bigger SA than stock, especially the paper filter. When mounted, the filter lifts from the bottom of the box so theres 360* flow entering the filter area.

Except that surface area actually depends by the number of pleats. I bet you anything that if you unfold and stretch the OEM paper filter and you do the same to this, you will end up with less actual surface area from the AFE filter.
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Have not seen the closed filter in real life I don't know where the 'scoops' are. But if they are in the grill like the red ones the guys buy they will have no material value because its already a high pressure area & getting a ram effect pure stock. Don't see how scoops can make a difference.
    Kevin
    2011 335is 7DCT/JB4 G5-ISO BMS Flash
    2013 135is 6MT - JB4 G5-ISO
    FF Cobra Mk-IV work in progress

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    It looks good and I'm sure it will perform just fine. In the big scheme of things $400 isn't that much anyway. My only point on the airflow was theoretical in response to BuraQ's theoretical argument. Drawing air from the top only would be less ideal than drawing air from the bottom only, in my opinion. In practice I'm sure this outflows the factory turbos either way so no issues there. Same goes for the filter. Just thinking down the road if you upgrade turbos. The filter is just a bit on the small side for 500rw IMHO. For 450rw when clean no issue.
    i completely agree! If (matter of when) I go RB turbo's, it's back to a DCI for me. For now I'll be good with my current setup. But honestly who knows, I'm always changing up my setups just out of curiosity

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    Except that surface area actually depends by the number of pleats. I bet you anything that if you unfold and stretch the OEM paper filter and you do the same to this, you will end up with less actual surface area from the AFE filter.
    I'd hate to be theoretical, but I doubt this. For one, the stock intake filter's surface area is almost half blocked in the area where the box gets smaller over the intake manifold. When I pulled out my stock filter after 20k miles, one side was clean and the other side dirty! That scared me a little lol.

The limit of air in The path air has to take in the stock air box will be reached far before filter size matters IMO. The air has hardly any path to enter the compressors. Just look at that lid! There's little cubes where the air comes in. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory Click here to enlarge
    Have not seen the closed filter in real life I don't know where the 'scoops' are. But if they are in the grill like the red ones the guys buy they will have no material value because its already a high pressure area & getting a ram effect pure stock. Don't see how scoops can make a difference.
    I don't know if they make a difference, but it sure can't hurt to have air being collected from scoops into the snorkel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Hey guys,

I installed my AFE Stage 2 Sealed intake with dry filter for the N54 a few weeks ago, and thought I would just give you guys some of my thoughts on the intake.

For one, I have ran the stock box and filter, drop in filter, BMS DCI, and now this intake on my car. From a logging perspective, I can tell you that my wastegate duty cycles as well as PWM on the JB4 G4 have dropped 5000rpm+ with the AFE and BMS intakes over stock. I did not notice any difference in these values changing the filter in the stock box. From a drivability standpoint, I noticed no noticeable butt dyno difference at WOT between all the setup I have ran. What I did notice, however, is the stock box always felt like it had a bit more throttle feel compared to the DCI's that I always felt, as I mostly drive in the city. The AFE Sealed feels the same as the stock box with regards to throttle feel, which I was very happy about (Best of both worlds)

I am running this air box using the stock snorkel, with an open cover. This is essentially serving as an enclosure for an air filter, and it was exactly what I was looking for without doing a DIY heat shield for the DCI's. I plan on purchasing AFe's upgraded snorkels and scoops for the intake soon, but as of right now I don't think it's absolutely necessary.

Here's a rundown of my thoughts:
    Stock intake:
    Pros: Good throttle response, shielded from engine bay heat, quiet induction
    Cons: Shows restriction in logs at higher RPM's on map 1
    BMS DCI:
    Pros: Not restrictive, max flow, if you like compressor noise, best bang for the buck by far especially with meth
    Cons: I personally felt a slight drop in throttle response.
    AFe Sealed:
    Pros: OEM-like filtration with Dry filter, good throttle response, quiet, shielded from heat
    Cons: None to me. Addresses all of my concerns

All in all, I like this intake. It's a bit pricey for what it is, but it looks good and addresses my concerns pointed above. Logs showed no restriction, you know there is denser air reaching the compressors (more dense air=less turbine RPM), it's silent and all turbo noise comes out the exhaust, and it looks good with great throttle response and filtration. I ordered from @Jeff @Topgearsolutions, he carries alot of AFe products. If you are on a budget for an intake, I would get a DCI because the stock intake IS a restriction and it's evident at higher RPM's.

Thanks to @BuraQ for convincing me to get this intake! This isnt a very detailed review, but more of my thoughts about this intake as I know they are scarcely used so I apologize for lack of Dyno's etc. Here are some photos of what my setup looks like:

Attachment 28440
    Attachment 28441

Thanks
    Nick
    I like the post and appreciate and even though it is an intake and doesn't provide huge gains dyno data would be helpful here too. But that's time consuming to just an intake and the subjective results are more than enough for most people.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I like the post and appreciate and even though it is an intake and doesn't provide huge gains dyno data would be helpful here too. But that's time consuming to just an intake and the subjective results are more than enough for most people.
    Thanks. Maybe if I have time i'll try to get some dyno's as ive never done it before

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Thanks. Maybe if I have time i'll try to get some dyno's as ive never done it before
    All of this was already done to the most extent:

Click here to enlarge

The Stage 2 Elitecompletely sealed vs the sealed stock intake with K&N filter.

The aFe gained 13 whp and 17 wtq on a mustang dyno in 7 higher temps over the stock intake with the K&N drop in filter.

These are the minimum gains for gains for this intake and there is alot more with the aFe cover off to achieve in real world conditions

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BuraQ Click here to enlarge
    All of this was already done to the most extent:

Click here to enlarge

The Stage 2 Elitecompletely sealed vs the sealed stock intake with K&N filter.

The aFe gained 13 whp and 17 wtq on a mustang dyno in 7 higher temps over the stock intake with the K&N drop in filter.

These are the minimum gains for gains for this intake and there is alot more with the aFe cover off to achieve in real world conditions
    Very true but I was saying in his specific instance. Thanks for the extra data though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

10 out of 10 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Hey everybody, this is Jason from aFe Power. Great thread and forum, thanks to BuraQ for the nice write up. I am glad you are happy with the intake. I was reviewing this thread and noticed there were some technical questions I wanted to chime in on and maybe clarify a couple of things about this intake. Some of this information can carry over to other intakes as well. Sorry if this is long winded.

Surface Area – Cstavaru brought up surface area and yes if you measure this intake’s air filter vs. a stock filter, it has less overall surface area. There are some inherent differences in the geometry of a layered gauze filter vs. a paper element filter. OE style paper filters have a .015” thickness and will have more overall surface area but much of that surface area (up to 1/3) is not useable as the pleats are so tightly packed it inhibits air flow. A layered cotton gauze filter like our Pro 5R has fewer pleats but rounded pleat design so the entire filter surface is useable which also allows for increased air flow. The layered Pro 5R filter has a .045” thickness and is designed to depth load. This results in the filtration capacity being much greater than the paper filter. The factory air filter has a surface area of 873sq. inches and a useable filter volume of 13.1 cubic in. The 24-90061 air filter used in the intake has a useable surface area of 389 sq. inches and a useable filter volume of 19.5 cubic in.

Intake Air Temperature – On this intake we actually did some Intake Air Temperature testing and found that this intake actually has cooler air temps than the factory intake (see link below). We can usually pull this the IAT (intake air temperature) information from OBDII or we have to tap the intake with temp sensors. Much of the intake heat issue is more about increasing the volume of air and eliminating turbulence within the intake. We have found that on applications that we offer an open intake and a sealed intake, the open intake tends to make more power on the dyno simply because of the larger amounts of air that can be brought in. Yes the intake temperature will be a little bit warmer but the increase air flow and volume tends to result in better dyno results.

Oil Vs. Dry Air Filters – There have been some comments about oiled vs. dry air filters. The oiled Pro 5R air filter is 5-layer oiled cotton gauze with a progressive weave. It filters at 98.7% efficiency and is our best flowing filter media. The Pro Dry S is a 3-layer synthetic media which requires no oils. It filters at 99.2% efficiency and flows on average about 15% less than the Pro 5R. The construction of the two filters is almost identical. The biggest selling feature for the Pro Dry S is the cleaning convenience. Many consumers just don’t want to clean the oiled filters. We started offering the Pro Dry S as an option. If you are looking for the highest flow numbers, the oiled filters are best. We do our own testing in our in-house flow bench and dust tester but we have had independent testing done to confirm the findings.

I have attached a link below to the webpage for this product. On this page you will find all of our dyno, flow and Intake Air Temperature testing results for you to check out if you would like.

http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...002&brandID=56

Thanks for your time. If you have any questions from me, please feel free to call me at 951-493-7147 or email me at jbruce@afepower.com.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by aFePower_Jason Click here to enlarge
    Hey everybody, this is Jason from aFe Power. Great thread and forum, thanks to BuraQ for the nice write up. I am glad you are happy with the intake. I was reviewing this thread and noticed there were some technical questions I wanted to chime in on and maybe clarify a couple of things about this intake. Some of this information can carry over to other intakes as well. Sorry if this is long winded.

Surface Area – Cstavaru brought up surface area and yes if you measure this intake’s air filter vs. a stock filter, it has less overall surface area. There are some inherent differences in the geometry of a layered gauze filter vs. a paper element filter. OE style paper filters have a .015” thickness and will have more overall surface area but much of that surface area (up to 1/3) is not useable as the pleats are so tightly packed it inhibits air flow. A layered cotton gauze filter like our Pro 5R has fewer pleats but rounded pleat design so the entire filter surface is useable which also allows for increased air flow. The layered Pro 5R filter has a .045” thickness and is designed to depth load. This results in the filtration capacity being much greater than the paper filter. The factory air filter has a surface area of 873sq. inches and a useable filter volume of 13.1 cubic in. The 24-90061 air filter used in the intake has a useable surface area of 389 sq. inches and a useable filter volume of 19.5 cubic in.

Intake Air Temperature – On this intake we actually did some Intake Air Temperature testing and found that this intake actually has cooler air temps than the factory intake (see link below). We can usually pull this the IAT (intake air temperature) information from OBDII or we have to tap the intake with temp sensors. Much of the intake heat issue is more about increasing the volume of air and eliminating turbulence within the intake. We have found that on applications that we offer an open intake and a sealed intake, the open intake tends to make more power on the dyno simply because of the larger amounts of air that can be brought in. Yes the intake temperature will be a little bit warmer but the increase air flow and volume tends to result in better dyno results.

Oil Vs. Dry Air Filters – There have been some comments about oiled vs. dry air filters. The oiled Pro 5R air filter is 5-layer oiled cotton gauze with a progressive weave. It filters at 98.7% efficiency and is our best flowing filter media. The Pro Dry S is a 3-layer synthetic media which requires no oils. It filters at 99.2% efficiency and flows on average about 15% less than the Pro 5R. The construction of the two filters is almost identical. The biggest selling feature for the Pro Dry S is the cleaning convenience. Many consumers just don’t want to clean the oiled filters. We started offering the Pro Dry S as an option. If you are looking for the highest flow numbers, the oiled filters are best. We do our own testing in our in-house flow bench and dust tester but we have had independent testing done to confirm the findings.

I have attached a link below to the webpage for this product. On this page you will find all of our dyno, flow and Intake Air Temperature testing results for you to check out if you would like.

Thanks for your time. If you have any questions from me, please feel free to call me at 951-493-7147 or email me at jbruce@afepower.com.
    I wrote this up, man Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by aFePower_Jason Click here to enlarge

Good stuff, welcome.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

@aFePower_Jason -- I'm assuming you guys sell replacement cones to your aFe DCI intake. Was hoping you could PM me an estimate for replacement Oiled Filters
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Benzy89 - Yes we do and I will PM you shortly. Thanks, Jason

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

I still have the stock airbox as DCI are not road legal in my country (go figure). But this sealed intake looks stealth enough to not make our technical inspection nazis suspicious so I figure I'll give it a try Click here to enlarge
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12