Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    You can use seafoam if you have the setup that allows it to be sucked in via the vacuum nipple on the intake manifold (not put in the fuel tank), but its still the equivalent of pouring a cup of water on a burning house. Its better to use seafoam (via intake nipple) after getting the walnut blasting done to help mitigate future buildup.
    seafoam every day to avoid having to do the blasting again Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gary88 Click here to enlarge
    Any noticeable changes in drivability/throttle response after blasting? I'm only at 42k but want to get this done soon.
    Significant improvement IMO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I will say this again, as ive mentioned it several times before in various other threads. How you drive your car will depend on how much $#@! gets stuck to your valves. Do you do a lot of idling/light cruising/stop and go traffic? You will need a cleaning every 10k miles as your PCV setup is constantly working at part throttle/vacuum situations.

Do you beat the crap out of your car everywhere you go? Prolly every 20-25k for you. When the car is in boost it will not suck oil. Also there is a separate PCV cast into the head, its a tiny little hole on the top side of the runners...this is why running a catch can will not stop all of the oil vapor residue from getting sucked into the motor.

I did a valve cleaning on a 135 Track car, literally only sees roadcourse use. At 35k miles he only had a light dry soot stuck to the valves which came off easily. The more the car spends at full throttle/boost situations the less of a chance you have getting that crud stuck to the valves

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good to know.
    My car does a lot of idling as a DD.
    Now all I need is a shop that has heard of walnut blasting, let alone has experience with it...
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the listing the materials and so forth but what tools does somebody need to walnut blast on their own and are they expensive?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the listing the materials and so forth but what tools does somebody need to walnut blast on their own and are they expensive?
    Hey Sticky,

Tools needed, without going into crazy detail;

1: Torx bit screwdriver tips
    2: Allen wrenches
    3: Various small metric sockets, some deep (like the 10mm for example)
    4: Pliers
    5: Various small screwdrivers for assisting in detaching small electrical connectors, hose clamps, etc.
    6: lots of throttle body/carb cleaner (not a tool but whatever)
    7: this is important. Crucial. A long rod with a magnet on the end for when you DO drop stuff. If you do this and don't drop anything, come to phoenix and I will buy you a beer.
    8: Helpful to have some sort of long scraper type tool to get the thick gunk off the valves and/or behind them, I just bent an old long screwdriver
    9: Helpful to have zip ties to bundle up the electical cords, etc to keep them out of the way
    10: Recommend having thick gloves for the work.
    11: Recommended to have good lighting and at least 1 portable light

That's about it Sticky. If you don't have the blasting tools, they're simple. Air compressor, hose, the blaster equipment from harbor freight, a couple of adapters (I can look up part #'s if you really give an F), walnut shells, the BMW adapter for the openings, the blast wand, and the shop vac for sucking stuff up (connects to the BMW adapter).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SCGT Click here to enlarge
    Hey Sticky,

Tools needed, without going into crazy detail;

1: Torx bit screwdriver tips
    2: Allen wrenches
    3: Various small metric sockets, some deep (like the 10mm for example)
    4: Pliers
    5: Various small screwdrivers for assisting in detaching small electrical connectors, hose clamps, etc.
    6: lots of throttle body/carb cleaner (not a tool but whatever)
    7: this is important. Crucial. A long rod with a magnet on the end for when you DO drop stuff. If you do this and don't drop anything, come to phoenix and I will buy you a beer.
    8: Helpful to have some sort of long scraper type tool to get the thick gunk off the valves and/or behind them, I just bent an old long screwdriver
    9: Helpful to have zip ties to bundle up the electical cords, etc to keep them out of the way
    10: Recommend having thick gloves for the work.
    11: Recommended to have good lighting and at least 1 portable light

That's about it Sticky. If you don't have the blasting tools, they're simple. Air compressor, hose, the blaster equipment from harbor freight, a couple of adapters (I can look up part #'s if you really give an F), walnut shells, the BMW adapter for the openings, the blast wand, and the shop vac for sucking stuff up (connects to the BMW adapter).
    Oh duh, with someone like me who has an air compressor this seems to make infinitely more sense than $1200 at a dealer. Thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    FWIW lots of independant guys will do it for ~1/3 to 1/2 of that. So something to think about. I'm helping out my bud first but if you want to borrow the BMW adapter & wands let me know. There is not a good reason we can't all be cool and share stupid parts that ought not cost $120.

I *will* say that for me, the biggest PITA was putting the f'ing intake manifold back on. It was not easy to finagle it back on. I would distinctly rememeber the removal process once you get it off, maybe even put it right back on just to cement it in your head how you did it. The only part of the process that made me say "WTF?". Lots of hoses/attachments that are hard to see (check under everything) and get in the way upon reinstall.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    At least you guys get a indys etc that do this, dont think there are any offering walnut blasting in the whole of the UK!!
    Click here to enlarge
    335i ~ JB4 ~ BMS ~ DCI ~ Active Autowerks CP & BOV ~ Borla Catback Exhaust

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I had access to BMWs blaster setup. Phenomenal setup, but expensive. Around $1000 if I remember correctly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Hey Chris... Kagan here Click here to enlarge. Good write up... I have a pic of your dirty valve in my phone here, i'll send to you so you can post. Definitely a good half days worth of work if you want to take it slow and replace some vac lines while you're there.. and maybe a lpfp sensor that is giving the damn P29F3 code :S... I'd also add the following: make sure you make fun of BMW SA's while walnut blasting, and make sure you think of every reason why this will and will not void your warranty (inside joke...BMW SA's are terrible imo..) Oh and make sure your sandwiches have enough mayonnaise in them...or else... :X

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    I had access to BMWs blaster setup. Phenomenal setup, but expensive. Around $1000 if I remember correctly.
    100-125PSI, 45 seconds per cylinder, will do the job quite well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ksalih Click here to enlarge
    Oh and make sure your sandwiches have enough mayonnaise in them...or else... :X
    Inside joke or do you just like mayo? Because I like mayo on my sandwiches too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

See the glorious valves? lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SCGT Click here to enlarge
    See the glorious valves? lol.
    That's bad man... damn.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

A guy here in the DFW area does walnut blasting for $250 on special at his shop. I've been contemplating on getting this done.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eclaxton Click here to enlarge
    A guy here in the DFW area does walnut blasting for $250 on special at his shop. I've been contemplating on getting this done.
    That sounds very, very reasonable.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    For $250? I would do that in a second vice doing it yourself. It is a pain in the ass. Seems a little low to me, but I guess if you have everything set up and have done it a few times it goes a lot faster.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eclaxton Click here to enlarge
    You can pay that over here for the chemical cleaning which isnt anywhere near as effective i have been told.
    Click here to enlarge
    335i ~ JB4 ~ BMS ~ DCI ~ Active Autowerks CP & BOV ~ Borla Catback Exhaust

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12