Close

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    207
    Rep Points
    952.3
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

    Exhaust and Manifold development/testing for forced induction S65 applications - exhaust and headers

    Over the last year we have seen some great results from exhaust headers/manifolds on other boosted BMW applications - namely the E46 M3 and E39 M5. By improving the volumeteric efficiency the supercharged version of both cars are making less boost with more power.


    In the next coming months we will be developing/testing 2 new products with supercharged S65's in mind.


    Over Size X Pipe and Rear Exhaust


    The first will be an oversize version of our X Pipe and a new oversize version of our rear exhaust.


    Click here to enlarge


    S65 Headers


    The second will be headers/exhaust manifolds for the S65. We know that these have made little of no difference on normally aspirated engines but we are keen to see the results on a supercharged engine based on what we have seen on the older platforms.


    We will also test on normally aspirated engines with our tuning to see if any benefit can be had.


    Will update with pictures soon.


    As always we will be sharing the data with you guys as we go along.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    967
    Rep Points
    1,459.5
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Reputation: Yes | No
    I can't wait to see this development progress!

    Keep us posted! Click here to enlarge
    2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My GermanBoost Build Thread
    2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Somerset County, NJ
    Posts
    196
    Rep Points
    216.1
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Reputation: Yes | No
    I asked on the other forum but perhaps you can answer here, how much of a difference in psi did this make on the previous platforms? Thanks.
    ​2014 F10 M5 Competition Alpine White / Sakhir Orange
    Undercover Custom Downpipes & Connector. BMS Stage 1. IND Cosmetics. OEM CF Perf Spoiler.

    E92 M3 AA Gen 2 Lvl 3 586whp 398wtq SAE (sold)


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,043
    Rep Points
    31,279.4
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Imran[MENTION=1803
    evolve;423713]By improving the volumeteric efficiency the supercharged version of both cars are making less boost with more power.
    I wish more people understood that this was possible. And is a good thing.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Imran[MENTION=1803
    evolve;423713]The second will be headers/exhaust manifolds for the S65. We know that these have made little of no difference on normally aspirated engines but we are keen to see the results on a supercharged engine based on what we have seen on the older platforms.
    Great news guys. Modified headers made a difference for me in my application.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,460
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Imran[MENTION=1803
    evolve;423713]Over the last year we have seen some great results from exhaust headers/manifolds on other boosted BMW applications - namely the E46 M3 and E39 M5. By improving the volumeteric efficiency the supercharged version of both cars are making less boost with more power.


    In the next coming months we will be developing/testing 2 new products with supercharged S65's in mind.


    Over Size X Pipe and Rear Exhaust


    The first will be an oversize version of our X Pipe and a new oversize version of our rear exhaust.


    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...849af9_b-1.jpg


    S65 Headers


    The second will be headers/exhaust manifolds for the S65. We know that these have made little of no difference on normally aspirated engines but we are keen to see the results on a supercharged engine based on what we have seen on the older platforms.


    We will also test on normally aspirated engines with our tuning to see if any benefit can be had.


    Will update with pictures soon.


    As always we will be sharing the data with you guys as we go along.
    hell yea!

    @undercover

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,043
    Rep Points
    31,279.4
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    LOL someone wants an Evolve blower.

    So cool to see force induction specific parts though.

    @Imranevolve what I really want is cams though buddy...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,460
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    LOL someone wants an Evolve blower.

    So cool to see force induction specific parts though.

    @Imranevolve what I really want is cams though buddy...
    i was just talking to @garth@undercover yesterday about headers for the s65, and telling him that noone has been able to show any gains with them, and he brought up if that was n/a or boosted..

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,043
    Rep Points
    31,279.4
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    nd telling him that noone has been able to show any gains with them, and he brought up if that was n/a or boosted..
    Sorry, not true, I showed about 25 whp.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,460
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Sorry, not true, I showed about 25 whp.
    25 hp n/a?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,043
    Rep Points
    31,279.4
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    25 hp n/a?
    No, boosted. You won't gain anything worthwhile NA without spending BIG BUCKS it's a damn good design. With a blower you gain really by modifying the factory header anyway because it's that good.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,460
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    No, boosted. You won't gain anything worthwhile NA without spending BIG BUCKS it's a damn good design. With a blower you gain really by modifying the factory header anyway because it's that good.
    thats what i meant, that n/a noone has been able to do anything. but boosted.. i never contemplated that.. Click here to enlarge

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    Posts
    2,696
    Rep Points
    2,103.1
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22


    Reputation: Yes | No
    @evolve, Very nice! Cant wait to see this development.
    Click here to enlarge



    EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,198
    Rep Points
    1,800.2
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Looks like some progress has been made Click here to enlarge Would love to hear how these sound

    Click here to enlarge


    Here's a link to the SuperSprint website, which gives more details on their E9x M3 exhaust systems & the development on the headers.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump


    "The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,460
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    ohhhh yeaaaa

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,043
    Rep Points
    31,279.4
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Looks like some progress has been made Click here to enlarge Would love to hear how these sound

    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...6f53581b-1.jpg


    Here's a link to the SuperSprint website, which gives more details on their E9x M3 exhaust systems & the development on the headers.
    Those look beautiful...
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,043
    Rep Points
    31,279.4
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    which gives more details on their E9x M3 exhaust systems & the development on the headers.
    Not coming to market unfortunately but they came to the same conclusion as everyone else that the OEM headers are just great and tough to beat. They do say supercharged cars can see a gain from oversized headers, interesting...
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,198
    Rep Points
    1,800.2
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    They do say supercharged cars can see a gain from oversized headers, interesting...
    Yea, I saw this over on M3P on some1's review of the Supersprint F1 Race exhaust. The rep basically said they've started the R&D to determine if there's enough gains to justify making headers specifically for supercharged S65's.

    You're running custom Gintani headers on your setup, right?
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump


    "The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,043
    Rep Points
    31,279.4
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    You're running custom Gintani headers on your setup, right?
    Yep, that's right.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •