Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Automatic Transmission Malfunction

Hello, I just got my first BMW. It is a 2007 335i with an automatic transmission (it has 77,000 miles on it). Anyhow, when I put it into manual shift, I can shift through the first four gears, and then the power is cut and there is a yellow gear icon in the dash screen. After the gear icon is on, it seems it is locked into 5th or 6th gear, even if I put it back into auto mode. If I stop and step on the gas, it barely starts moving. If I shut down the engine and start it back up, it shifts normally again. Has anyone else had this issue and what is the fix?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

your trans has issues. take it to the dealer . Are you stock? maybe the person who had the car before beat the crap out of the trans.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Might be a leaky mechatronic valve sleeve, which is common on that car at that age. It's an $18 part but you need to drop the transmission pan to get to it. Have the car checked for codes to find out what's going on. If this is the problem it's easy to fix.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

I just had mine replaced. Was leaking bad. Lucky I noticed before it caused too much issue. Had a really nasty smell when the oil would get on the exhaust. OP, if you still have warranty, I would take it to the dealer. I take mine FBO and they don't even say anything to me anymore. Good luck.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The previous owner (it was a one-owner car) treated it very well, the car is in flawless shape, with almost zero signs of wear anywhere. Also, as long as I leave it in "auto" mode, it shifts beautifully, even under full power, through all the gears. I have now driven it over 500 miles, with nary another issue... THANKS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by johanh13 Click here to enlarge
    The previous owner (it was a one-owner car) treated it very well, the car is in flawless shape, with almost zero signs of wear anywhere. Also, as long as I leave it in "auto" mode, it shifts beautifully, even under full power, through all the gears. I have now driven it over 500 miles, with nary another issue... THANKS
    Well you should get to the bottom of this issue...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Another possibility There is a known issue with the floor shifter and wiring for going back and forth from D to DS mode. It may be that since you have no problems in D mode that the problem is not with the tranny internals but with the steptronic shifter assembly/wiring. Do a search on it there is a lot of info out there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It turns out the car is still under CPO warranty, it is in the shop as we speak... :-)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

It turns out the car is still under CPO warranty, it is in the shop as we speak... :-)
    Good let us know what they say.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You would be wise to drain the pan and refill 5-6L with Lifeguard 6. You will need to pull the pan at 120K miles and replace it anyway as the pan and filter are integral. Many times the problem is low fluid level caused by the mechatronic sleeve leaking...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok, so I found out the car is still under CPO warranty! I took it to Classic BMW in Dallas and had them go over it. They could not replicate the problem (I think they just reset the code or something). Sure enough, I shifted it every which way the malfunction did not come back. Also, it had a humming sound that got louder on the way to Dallas, which was the right-rear wheel bearing. They replaced the bearing under warranty. Strange thing, the loaner they put me in was a brand-new 2013 Camaro with the V6... Apparently, the car also has a coolant leak (I have added about 1/2 gallon of water in 700 miles of driving). The dealer said it was a coolant hose, $65 part, $375 labor! I told them I would install it myself, and they said they would order it (have not heard from them on the part and I cannot find it on the internet). Anyways, thanks y'all for all the input!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

(have not heard from them on the part and I cannot find it on the internet)
    I'm sure Tischer can get it for you.