Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Quafie Whine Question

After installing my VAC built Quafie last weekend, I have a slight high pitched whine when under light decel (engine braking in 6th at 70mph) or slight accel (cruise control on the interstate). It is not very loud, you can't hear unless the radio is off. The noise reminds me of the whine you hear when driving in reverse on most gear boxes.

Any ideas on what might cause this? Diff needing to be broken in? Improper build? Defiv lockdown NVH? I also have stock subframe bushings.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    did you reuse your axle, and drive shaft seals?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    did you reuse your axle, and drive shaft seals?
    Well VAC advertises "-Includes completely new Hardware / Gaskets / Shims, Seals, Crush Rings and all labor" so I assume they are all new.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    do you have solid subframe bushings? Is it diff or trans whine? maybe it could be a worn out bearing just throwing out some possibilties hope you figure it out.
    ground control coilovers/wavetrac lsd/ full m3 suspension/delrin bushings/ megan racing toe and camber arms/bmw oem performance carbon fiber front lip and rear deck spoiler/m3 strut brace/ecs SS brakelines/CPE dci's, charge pipe, catless dp, fmic/bms OCC/tuningtechfs custom tune/defiv diff lockdownkit,rbpcv valve.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TRES Click here to enlarge
    do you have solid subframe bushings? Is it diff or trans whine? maybe it could be a worn out bearing just throwing out some possibilties hope you figure it out.
    Starting to look like it is the nature of the beast. I have solid diff mounts but stock subframe. I posted on the other forum and a couple users say they get the same thing with their Quafies. Also it is coming from the rear for sure.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This whine is normal for Quaife other gear-type LSDs. People have it (I have it, very slight under decel) some don't hear it. I have seen a bunch of threads about about the whine; there's nothing to worry about its just a new mechanical noise for you to enjoy in your car. Again, 100% normal. You can't fix it, it ain't broke.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Did you/they measure the gear backlash after installing?
    How much was it?
    I think it should be something like between 0,06 and 0,14mm (I think it's in the manual)

My Quaife is absolutely silent, so I cant agree with the statement that whine is normal for a Quaife lsd.
    E85 Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Custom Brembo BBK front/rear | Schrick cams | Schmiedmann headers/cats | Powerflex/strongflex/PSB PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GuidoK Click here to enlarge
    Did you/they measure the gear backlash after installing?
    How much was it?
    I think it should be something like between 0,06 and 0,14mm (I think it's in the manual)

My Quaife is absolutely silent, so I cant agree with the statement that whine is normal for a Quaife lsd.
    It is impossiable for a new diff to cause ANY noise in a street line. Around turns, MAYBE.

That noise you are hearing under slight decil, is a bad alignment between the pinion and ring gear. I have had MANY diffs install in many cars, and it is easy to get it wrong. Hell, Ford Blew it in my stang while installing an Auborn. Same thing, whine while coosting down any hill.

Have the backlash checked immeaditly and also the tooth patern.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    bad installation for the QUAIFE
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mramg1 Click here to enlarge
    It is impossiable for a new diff to cause ANY noise in a street line. Around turns, MAYBE.
    Thats absolutely true.
    Around turns after a fresh installation you can get a little squiezee noice for the first couple of miles but then that should be silent too.

I don't exactly know what diff is installed in this n54 because I think they come with two different diffs: one with the ring gear welded to the diff (so a new gear) and one with a bolted gear (you install the old gear on the new diff). In either case check the backlash and especially with a new gear check the tooth imprint with ink.

If the old ring gear is used it should sound exactly the same as you old diff in a straight line as mramg1 said, both under accel and decel, because the same gears are in use as in the old situation.

I don't know if the bearings can be adjusted to adjust the backlash (I dont think so, I haven't seen it since the e36), so adjustment has to be made on the pinion side with shims or so.
    Also check the bearings themselves. Getting them on and off can be a pain, so there's a risk of damage.
    Last edited by GuidoK; 03-10-2013 at 08:49 AM.
    E85 Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Custom Brembo BBK front/rear | Schrick cams | Schmiedmann headers/cats | Powerflex/strongflex/PSB PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My Quaife didn't make a sound for the first 35k miles, or so I thought. Then I changed all the bushings to the defiv diff lockdown kit, which basically bolts the diff directly to the frame (CNC made aluminium bushings and an additional "arm"), and now I can definetely hear the diff whenever I let off the gas at speed. Maybe that's what happened to the OP?

Or maybe my diff has been bad all along. It was made by Birds in the UK though, so I'm pretty sure the diff itself is just fine.
    E92 335i 2008 Space Grey 6MT | RB turbos | Quaife LSD | M3 Suspension kit | Íhlins Road & Track Coilover | DEFIVfab N54 diff lockdown kit | COBB PTF E50 map | Walbro E85 455 LPH LPFP | NGK 5992 plugs | Wagner FMIC | Wagner 3" DP | Milltek exhaust | Trueform Tech Intake System | Tial BOV | Motiv PI Stage 1 w/AIC | SPEC Stage 3+ clutch | SPEC SSM Flywheel | BMS CDV | 60-130 mph 7.55 s | 100-200 kmh 6.57 s

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    He got the Defiv kit that's why. Only on decel at speedS over 70mph.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    recheck the install. Mine is putting up with hard use and does not make a sound.
    Click here to enlarge

I will quit being rude if you quit being stupid.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    When I took my car apart, the gear lash was closer the max dimension than the min. I had this "great" idea that I would tighten up the lash some when I installed the new diff. My car was already at the 30k mile mark and the ring gear and pinion were broken in fully.

The new diff (with the tighter tolerances) really felt solid, but my first drive gave me significant gear whine where it had always been silent. It appears that the tighter tolerances changed the contact patches on the gears and caused the whine. I pulled it apart, reset the clearances to the original (less than ideal spec) and life was good again.

Lesson learned: If reusing gears that are already broken in, always set the clearances as close to where they originally were as possible. Don't automatically assume that the factory is full of lazy idiots, they may have reasons for what they do.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    As someone said I do have the DEFIV lockdown with CNC'd metal bushings that may be transmitting more noise. The differential was built by VAC and I feel that they know what they are doing. @G.I.Joe 's experience makes me feel better with my situation, especially since a number of people have the same experience as me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would still recheck the lash and preload...
    Click here to enlarge

I will quit being rude if you quit being stupid.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TCW Click here to enlarge
    As someone said I do have the DEFIV lockdown with CNC'd metal bushings that may be transmitting more noise.
    Did you get that the same time as the quaife install?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TCW Click here to enlarge
    As someone said I do have the DEFIV lockdown with CNC'd metal bushings that may be transmitting more noise. The differential was built by VAC and I feel that they know what they are doing. @G.I.Joe 's experience makes me feel better with my situation, especially since a number of people have the same experience as me.
    I'm guessing you put in everything at once. I think people who already had a LSD from before mentioned getting that whine with the solid bushings. Normal IMO. You can double check with VAC what the final backlash was but don't think thats the issue here
    [02/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Under Construction

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GuidoK Click here to enlarge
    Did you get that the same time as the quaife install?
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nitehawk Click here to enlarge
    I'm guessing you put in everything at once. I think people who already had a LSD from before mentioned getting that whine with the solid bushings. Normal IMO. You can double check with VAC what the final backlash was but don't think thats the issue here
    Right, I installed the DEFIV lockdown, DSS axles, Spec Clutch, and Quafie all at once.
    2008 335I E92, AW, VFF700, 18" Forgestar F14, M3 front/side, M-tech rear, AMS IC, H&R Touring Cup Kit suspension, HID AE, ER Charge Pipe & Synapse BOV, CIC Retrofit, Quafie, DSS, Defiv Lockdown, SPEC 2+/Steel SMFW, Walbro 450