Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Cause i am curious.
    2015 - Cayman GTS - Stock
    2011 - 335is e92 - Cobb PTF E40/Rob Beck/AR/Helix (458 rwtq and 479 rwhp) - Retired
    2007 - 911 Turbo - EP1/AMS (617 awtq and 500 awhp) - Retired
    2008 - 335i e92 - Cobb/AR/Helix/OSS (384 rwtq and 356 rwhp) - Retired
    2003 and 2005 330i/ci zhp - Stock - Retired

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
    Why ask these types of questions until there is dyno's done and available.
    x2

He already stated the output should be similar to RBs with improvements in terms for turbine side flow - which leads to lower EGT. Theoretically they will be more robust, but capped at a similar max CFM and operating pressure since it's still OEM frame size. I say this based on what has been posted, no hands on knowledge.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mithiral67 Click here to enlarge
    Cause i am curious.

"I am confident these will make very close to the same power as RB's and be very reliable given the work we did on the internals.

I can say from all of the testing already done on RB's using the same compressor wheels as our stage 2's as they sit now(more wheel options to come, details after some testing is done) you will not get anywhere close to 600HP with a stage 2 style turbo, ours our RB's. They just do not have the A/R to breathe that well on the turbine side. For 600 HP, right now you have ST options, and in a few months Stage 3 with say the GT25R, GT28R, or GTX2860R. You can easily get to 600HP with the proper tuning and upgrades."

From another thread by Vargas

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ha, I saw that. But a contradictory statement was made and I wanted clarification. Which I have now. Thanks all.
    2015 - Cayman GTS - Stock
    2011 - 335is e92 - Cobb PTF E40/Rob Beck/AR/Helix (458 rwtq and 479 rwhp) - Retired
    2007 - 911 Turbo - EP1/AMS (617 awtq and 500 awhp) - Retired
    2008 - 335i e92 - Cobb/AR/Helix/OSS (384 rwtq and 356 rwhp) - Retired
    2003 and 2005 330i/ci zhp - Stock - Retired

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Has anyone tried using an external wastegate in the same way the stock WGs are set up? Flip the internals so it has to be pulled shut? If that worked, would there still be a need for an EBC?

I had a couple of wastegates laying around so I've decided to experiment and find out if this will work. I might try it this week if I feel like working on the car.
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Single Turbo E92 BMW 335i | My YouTube channel
    Click here to enlarge
    If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn....... Then, you have enough horsepower.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't think anyone's tried that...that'd be really interesting to see, cool idea
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Roy Cormier Click here to enlarge
    Has anyone tried using an external wastegate in the same way the stock WGs are set up? Flip the internals so it has to be pulled shut? If that worked, would there still be a need for an EBC?

I had a couple of wastegates laying around so I've decided to experiment and find out if this will work. I might try it this week if I feel like working on the car.
    Designing a vacuum based wastegate should work. But I can't tell whether what you've done above would. Use a hand-vac to test it. You want to see a fairly linear closing from say 0" of vacuum (fully open) to 20" of vacuum (fully closed).
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Designing a vacuum based wastegate should work. But I can't tell whether what you've done above would. Use a hand-vac to test it. You want to see a fairly linear closing from say 0" of vacuum (fully open) to 20" of vacuum (fully closed).
    Cool, Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can make that happen.
    Single Turbo E92 BMW 335i | My YouTube channel
    Click here to enlarge
    If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn....... Then, you have enough horsepower.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    For the person asking why the n20 map sensor doesn't read 36 psi in the DME, it's because you lose 1 atmosphere (~14.7 PSI) for the base pressure, so whatever the sensor is rated for, you always subtract ~15 psi to get what it'll actually run under boost.

However it sounds like there's some deeper failsafe code hidden away in the DME that cobb hasn't figured out/eliminated yet. As others have said, scaling other paramaters is pretty common across cobb tuning platforms.

I guess Cobb is too busy playing catchup with EcuTek on the R35 GT-R platform to be putting much time into the n54 scene.

PTF/VTT, You should petition EcuTek to release a flash solution for the n54. That will surely light a fire under cobbs ass regarding updates for the n54 platform.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135Hoser Click here to enlarge
    For the person asking why the n20 map sensor doesn't read 36 psi in the DME, it's because you lose 1 atmosphere (~14.7 PSI) for the base pressure, so whatever the sensor is rated for, you always subtract ~15 psi to get what it'll actually run under boost.

However it sounds like there's some deeper failsafe code hidden away in the DME that cobb hasn't figured out/eliminated yet. As others have said, scaling other paramaters is pretty common across cobb tuning platforms.

I guess Cobb is too busy playing catchup with EcuTek on the R35 GT-R platform to be putting much time into the n54 scene.

PTF/VTT, You should petition EcuTek to release a flash solution for the n54. That will surely light a fire under cobbs ass regarding updates for the n54 platform.
    3.5 bar - 1 bar for atmosphere * 14.5 psi/bar ~ 36.25psi of usable boost range.

I recently had to go through and basically change all JB4 boost bytes (0-25.5psi) up to words, to allow reading of up to 30.0psi. We can easily raise that to the full 36psi or 100psi later but I like round numbers. Click here to enlarge Also rescaled the boost gauge in dash when running a 3.5bar to 0-26.66 psi. So that 20psi is exactly 3/4 on the gauge. 28psi runs a bit over full. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...IMG_5769-1.jpg

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...IMG_5770-1.jpg

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...IMG_5772-1.jpg
    Haven't tried it, but thought of it awhile ago. Instead of flipping stuff (at least on the Tial gates), you could probably just remove the spings from the top, and try pulling closed from the bottom port w/ vacuum. Back pressure should push it open when vacuum is reduced. You could also try installing a light weight spring under the diaphragm to keep it in the normally open position so the valve isn't jsut flapping up and down at idle. In theory, this should all work perfectly and unicorns will crap Skittles; but someone with a sigle will need to try it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Cool, Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can make that happen.
    Looks good man. I hope it works.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    Haven't tried it, but thought of it awhile ago. Instead of flipping stuff (at least on the Tial gates), you could probably just remove the spings from the top, and try pulling closed from the bottom port w/ vacuum. Back pressure should push it open when vacuum is reduced. You could also try installing a light weight spring under the diaphragm to keep it in the normally open position so the valve isn't jsut flapping up and down at idle. In theory, this should all work perfectly and unicorns will crap Skittles; but someone with a sigle will need to try it.
    It better not rattle without a spring... I am so tired of wastegate rattle. I really hope this works.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345