• BMS Kit(s)

22 36.67%
  • Other (Please mention which one)

4 6.67%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Harvey_Spector Click here to enlarge
    As title states... what are the pros and cons of each kit?

I've been doing some research lately, and it appears that most agree that Aquamist is very good but extremely expensive.

After talking to a Rep over on E90 he mentioned that Aquamist has no Failsafe when used with Cobb. "Cobb doesn't dynamically adjust boost in response to Meth Flow".

He suggested using a Meth kit alongside JB4 and an FSB. Is this method reliable at sensing meth flow problems? If it can sense pump issues , can it also sense when meth is flowing through turbine but NOT making it to the engine?

Excuse the questions, this is my first time with Meth and I need to make an informed choice.
    So choices are:
    • Coolingmist with progressive controller and FSB (BEST with Jb4).
    • Aquamist with Cobb (which I already have)
    • BMS Kit with JB4 / FSB failsafe (?)
    What tune do you run today? I would use what ever your tuner recommends for future support (might not be true if you have a proceed since there is limited support to start with and I think its only supported by Vishnu to run their kit)

Of course you need a fail safe if you are going to run higher boost with meth, there is two approaches piggy raises boost of flow detected and might give you 50% raised boost if you only see partial flow but can also scare the hell out of the DME if something fails. If you run COBB the failsafe dumps your WG lowering boost and triggering a underboost code.

Debated question is if the dump WG approach is fast enough, I guess it is maybe a little slower than the piggy approach. Limited data here since no one wants to run full boost and aggressive timing and shut meth off for testing purposes.

I'd say if you have COBB run the aquamist kit (no doubt higher quality hardware than CM (which is what BMS sells).

If you have a JB4 run the FSB and/or same aquamist sensor and the BMS kit BUT consider upgrading the fittings to the same as aquamist uses (the plastic push fittings really suck even if they work most of the time).

If you have a Proceed (not the Kia hatchback but the Austrailian piggyback) use their PVM kit or get outcasted on E90Post by using inferior technology...
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    Lines:
    PWM = pulse width modulation, the pump is basically ran full speed, and a solenoid opened/closed to meter flow through injectors, like normal fuel injection. More precise control. On most engines a breakthrough for tuning, for ours it's meh due to closed loop fueling. More academic gains, but nice still.
    Non PWM are more on/off switches. Fwiw, a meth kit will operate at 0% or 100% almost all of the time regardless of type. And this is meth, you want as much in your engine as you can get.
    So does Aquamist use PWM? Meaning it regulates certain amounts of Meth to based on engine performance and other factors, whereas, other kits essentially pump 100% meth All the time?

Not sure I get it quite right, so please let me know if its any different Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

So does Aquamist use PWM? Meaning it regulates certain amounts of Meth to based on engine performance and other factors, whereas, other kits essentially pump 100% meth All the time?

Not sure I get it quite right, so please let me know if its any different Click here to enlarge
    Yes
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    whereas, other kits essentially pump 100% meth All the time?

No.
    PPS stands for progressive pump speed. It means the pump speed varies according to the meth flow needs. Whoever claims PPS to spray 100% all the time does not know anything about meth kits Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Varying pump speed imo is worse than just turning it full on, at least on our cars. I prefer fully atomized spray and let the tune/O2 sensors figure it out to partial pressures and bad spray patterns, but again that's probably more a theoretical debate. Plus, even with very little pressure through the kit, you will be getting over 50% flow anyway but with bad atomization. Might as well just turn it on if you ask me. Methanol is the best fuel for racing period, why dick around with it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

One more thing OP- progressive meth kit gets thrown around a lot too. The progressive term doesn't necessarily mean the volume of meth is progressive (like PWM systems), it usually means the boost control is progressive with the availability of meth.

Doesn't mean the flash only can't run the same boost, it just means the piggybacks can dynamically adjust it, where on flashes it's hard coded. Exact same outcome.

Methanol has a wide range of afr, stoich with pure meth is 9:1, gasoline is 14.7:1, this means dumping it and riching the mix with meth is absolutely acceptable. Preferred really.

"We have too much meth vs gasoline in the engine" said no racer ever.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
    PWM stands for Progressive water meth.

What he's saying is that no tune is build for it, which is why you have to add a FSB (fail safe box) to them, and the cobb needs a system that dumps boost if it seems any flow issues.
    what the f*** was I talking about.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Shiv
    Terry fails to realize that the raw methanol flow signal is not linear with actual flow. This is due to "hammering" effect on the turbine as pulses of meth pass through it. This means that 50% DC does not result in 50% of max nominal meth flow data. In fact, if you spray the fast acting valve at just 15%, you'll see a nominal meth flow value of 30-35%. This doesn't matter. What matters is that the control device (in the case, the Procede) knows what nominal flow value to expect at any give injection DC%.

For those running a ProcedePWM and PWM meth kits, you can clearly see a compensation algorithm in effect by comparing Methanol Flow Target (Debug Byte 7) to different WGDC values. The relationship clearly isn't linear. Just another example of how seriously we take tune/meth integration and remove "slop" that others don't seem to mind. Thanks to Terry for giving me the opportunity to bring this up Click here to enlarge
    With all due respect, sounds a bit like BS. The flow sensor turbine only returns a dirty frequency, which is then filtered and linearized by its controller, in this case the procede control unit, to provide a meaningful data output. For example a 0-100 variable that corresponds to 0 - 2000ml/min of methanol flow. So now handling this basic function of a flow sensor is "taking tune/meth integration seriously" and "removing slop that others don't mind"? Do you even read the stuff you write? I think you might have been a used car salesmen in a prior life. Click here to enlarge

So the output in your log if you've done your job properly is supposed to already be linearized. Are you saying that you're still working on it? Even if we are to assume you have intentionally entered a non-linear scaling in the output for some unknown reason, doing so would reduce the flow resolution, further making our case that the level of data you claim to require is not being used.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    No.
    PPS stands for progressive pump speed. It means the pump speed varies according to the meth flow needs. Whoever claims PPS to spray 100% all the time does not know anything about meth kits Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Ok, so heres' what I "know" about meth kits LOL

Controllers in PPS type kits can vary pump speed. This is typically done by scaling duty cycle to the pump which varies both flow but also pressure affecting atomization.

Example: start spray 8psi at 50% pump duty cycle and go 100% duty cycle at 12psi.

While they do allow for that level of configurability running a pump at lower than max duty cycle will degrade atomization. This is why most of these kits end up configured to go full duty cycle immediately on meth maps, in other words behave as an on/off switch. Nothing that'll make an engine go or unsafe there given this is a fully closed loop system BUT with PWM its simply more refined providing a finer dynamic range and configurability.
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 03-08-2013 at 12:33 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

what the f*** was I talking about.
    Actually... "progressive water meth" does describe what a PWM system does pretty well, kinda clever actually

I don't know why you guys bother arguing with Shiv. He's smart and could be an asset to the community if he wasn't so misguided, but as is it's a liability to listen to him lest you be drawn in by his rhetoric.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

FWIW:
    I started wth Cobb Only tune and the HSF4 Kit and car ran great.. If I ran out of meth and meth flow was "out of range" and the failsafe kicked in (Dumbed boost to wastegate levels 4psi iirc).

Now I have the Cobb AP, stacked with the JB4 (flatline issue) and the HSF4 Kit. If I run out of meth, my boost level is dropped from 18psi to 14psi

The Aquamist is the top of the line and likemost things, you get what you pay for..!!
    For Sale:

- NX Express complete wet kit with Plug & Play fuel adapter for BMW 335i

- FBO parts here LINK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Ok, so heres' what I "know" about meth kits LOL

Controllers in PPS type kits can vary pump speed. This is typically done by scaling duty cycle to the pump which varies both flow but also pressure affecting atomization.

Example: start spray 8psi at 50% pump duty cycle and go 100% duty cycle at 12psi.

While they do allow for that level of configurability running a pump at lower than max duty cycle will degrade atomization. This is why most of these kits end up configured to go full duty cycle immediately on meth maps, in other words behave as an on/off switch. Nothing that'll make an engine go or unsafe there given this is a fully closed loop system BUT with PWM its simply more refined providing a finer dynamic range and configurability.
    Yes, PPS is not an on/off switch by nature, but it can be tuned as such at will, and many do it, because there is not much to lose really and they have their nozzles too close to the TB which makes atomization critical. Small, partial flow amounts of meth by PPS kits have enough time to evaporate as long as the nozzle if far enough in the upstream.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

PWM stands for Progressive water meth.

What he's saying is that no tune is build for it, which is why you have to add a FSB (fail safe box) to them, and the cobb needs a system that dumps boost if it seems any flow issues.
    you sure its not pulse width modulation....?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

wow, im way late. good read to watch all the "smart" people pump their chests up though Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    Ok I’m going to explain the 4th option... mainly cause of the other thread discussion. I'm sure no one cares though

Procede with Aquamist hardware:
    1. Meth pump is activated by a pressure switch.
    2. Fast acting valve (25hz) is controlled by Procede based on 3D mapping of rpm, boost… DC from 0 to 100%
    3. Tuning progresses between 2 maps based on actual meth flow. Similar to JB, but with a little more resolution in ignition timing I believe.
    The negative is that it is expensive and you are kinda stuck with a Procede for control... I'm sure Terry could put together a premium option directly controlling the FAV (or solenoid for lower cost). Much better than the IDC, boost, rpm options on a dial currently available with the AM controller.

Out of the options the flash and Aquamist has the worst failsafe. The hardware is solid, but a mechanical failsafe is not doing much for you except working as a warning that meth has stopped while DME already handled any issues. With progressive tuning, the reaction is much faster and thus more failsafier Click here to enlarge

Here’s an example. Below notice the tuning setpoints based on meth flow. I have my meth DC set from 20 to 70 depending on rpm/boost with injection starting around 9psi. Procede will fully transition maps based on DC setpoint and flow. At 100% DC my flow is around 29, as you can see in the log at 70% DC flow is 22… sorry didn't log DC on this one. Notice ignition correction channel which is CPS offset applying retard/advance.
    Just saw this post. So much misunderstanding its quite laughable.

Without me pointing out all the little issues with your post answer the following please:

1) How much meth is flowing at 29 vs 22 on your logs?
    2) Why is it better to map only based on boost/rpm and entirely drop the mapping based on injector duty cycle?
    3) How much total timing can you pull out from the tune using CPS?

Let's start there.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge .......Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    you sure its not pulse width modulation....?
    Yeah I already posted that I was talking out my ass (just what i was told from way back when), luckily we have a bunch of tuners that are way smarter then i.

Even tho I have been told that my version of it was kinda on point, even though it was still wrong.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge

Without me pointing out all the little issues with your post answer the following please:

2) Why is it better to map only based on boost/rpm and entirely drop the mapping based on injector duty cycle?

Let's start there.

1. Actually my highest flow at 100% was 32 and sometimes would drop to 29, depending on potentially weather, mix, maybe filter/nozzles from sitting. At 70% first I 27, before not using meth during clutch install/break in, afterwards solid 22. Probably dirty nozzles, but not going to check anytime soon... very happy with cars performance and just enjoying it.

Meth around 900ish ml/m when tested multiple years ago... never a leak with push fittings at the pump. At 70% DC I'm sure we could guess semi-accurately.
    Question: what are your flows at various rpm/boost?

2. It's all you need. Tell me what IDCs your are injecting... just the range? I can see my info in the log.

3. I have used up to maybe 7deg in the past. Now with ATR, max I use is around 3.5deg and 2 deg Adv. CPS is very useful, but not so critical.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

weird thought you couldn't pull timing with cps .

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cwarren Click here to enlarge
    weird thought you couldn't pull timing with cps .
    It isn't really timing control but you can influence it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It isn't really timing control but you can influence it.
    knew someone would catch this thanks sticky..... I meant I didn't think you could pull that much timing as josh said 7deg with cps .

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Let's start there.
    My turn to ask questions! After-all I am the O.P Click here to enlarge

1) What do you mean by timing?
    2) What is this "CPS" you speak of
    3) Why is this so damn complicated!

All jokes aside... From what I can try and absorb, it appears that most of you agree that Aquamist has the best hardware, and you sort of "get what you paid for" , which is great.

The question everyone seems to argue about, is whether, a mechanical failsafe is better or worst than a purely electrical and therefore, programable failsafe.

Again, I'm just learning here, but intuitively I would much rather have a failsafe that measures actual meth flow, rather than one that just measures the pumps efficiency , and therefore perceived "meth flow" ... Over on E90 post some guy just blew his motor because , or so he thinks, the WW BMS kit he's using.
    My main concern with any kit is whether it's measuring what it's SUPPOSED to be measuring.

Aquamist uses a turbine to measure meth flow, which makes sense because no meth = turbine won't spin. But the problem now is you're relying on another moving piece... is it prone to breaking, leaking?...

All other kits rely on some sort of tune integrated failsafe that measures the pumps efficiency (I think?) , so what if the pump is working fine but something else went wrong along the way?

I'm sure lots of you have your biases and allegiances to certain kits just like you do the tunes. But lets try and be as objective as possible and answer these questions honestly...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

My turn to ask questions! After-all I am the O.P Click here to enlarge

1) What do you mean by timing?
    2) What is this "CPS" you speak of
    3) Why is this so damn complicated!
    1- timing refers to the exact time the spark plug fires in relation to the piston as it travels to the top of its stroke in the engine. Generally speaking, you want the spark plug to fire before (in advance) the piston gets to the top (top dead center/TDC) to give the air/gas mixture time to expand (gas does not burn the instant the spark fires, it takes some time), and push the piston back down. Too little octane can mean you have to reduce the advance (fire sparkplugs closer to TDC), which makes the process less efficient but safer for the engine (prevents knock).
    2- CPS offset stands for "crank position sensor offset". The engine determines rpm and piston location based off the crankshaft position sensor. By modifying the signal, you can effectively "trick" the computer into retarding (closer to TDC) or advancing (before TDC) timing, because it thinks the engine is somewhere else than it really is. This is a good way to influence timing, but is NOT controlling timing. The computer can still advance or retard it, just from this point instead, and the computer is REALLY fast at adjusting spark timing. It can be useful in case of meth failure, because you can immediately pull some timing before the engine is susceptible to the low flow (the electrical signal travels faster than the meth in the intakes). Piggy backs have access to the information from the flow sensors, while flashes don't, this is part of why "integrated" is better on paper.
    3- Welcome to engineering school!

All jokes aside... From what I can try and absorb, it appears that most of you agree that Aquamist has the best hardware, and you sort of "get what you paid for" , which is great.
    Other kits can be upgraded to the level of the aquamist, but for complete turnkey kits it doesn't get any better.

The question everyone seems to argue about, is whether, a mechanical failsafe is better or worst than a purely electrical and therefore, programable failsafe.

Again, I'm just learning here, but intuitively I would much rather have a failsafe that measures actual meth flow, rather than one that just measures the pumps efficiency , and therefore perceived "meth flow" ... Over on E90 post some guy just blew his motor because , or so he thinks, the WW BMS kit he's using.
    My main concern with any kit is whether it's measuring what it's SUPPOSED to be measuring.
    The FSB electrical approach will only report bad data in case of a clogged nozzle or restricted flow, otherwise it's reliable. If his meth kit failed him, it was more than likely a mechanical failure elsewhere. WW kits are cheap, lots of times ran with no filters on the lines, leaky fittings, etc. And most people don't maintain them very well since they are cheap. They are good for drag races and IAT suppression mainly, I would NEVER trust one for a road coarse, or high levels of methanol. They are known to be dangerous. They serve their purpose well, but should not be used for anything more.

Aquamist uses a turbine to measure meth flow, which makes sense because no meth = turbine won't spin. But the problem now is you're relying on another moving piece... is it prone to breaking, leaking?...
    The new one is very reliable, although over time it's been reported to feed back lower flow numbers than actual. This isn't as big of a concern as a failsafe that reports higher flow than actual.

All other kits rely on some sort of tune integrated failsafe that measures the pumps efficiency (I think?) , so what if the pump is working fine but something else went wrong along the way?

I'm sure lots of you have your biases and allegiances to certain kits just like you do the tunes. But lets try and be as objective as possible and answer these questions honestly...
    The piggybacks accept a voltage from some sort of failsafe. JB4 can accept the output from a FSB (electrical efficiency monitor) or flow sensor, and can pull timing with CPS offset, add fuel with fuel pressure/O2 biasing, and dump boost in case the flow stops. Cobb relies on the aquamist failsafes to dump boost in case of no/low flow. It's a bit slower but works well. If you are planning on tracking the car, you want a high quality trunk mount kit, with ample tank volume in a tank that has baffles so you don't suck up air. You want fittings that wont leak (compression) and filters in line to keep the lines clear of gunk. You also need to clean the components regularly, especially the nozzle, because methanol tends to gunk things up you will find. Lastly, you need some form of failsafe that monitors flow. A flow sensor is ideal, but with a well maintained system with filters and no leaks, a FSB is acceptable (only with a piggyback since FSB data is cross referenced with O2 and fuel data to double check flow). Tune integration in general is ideal, but a system that dumps boost is acceptable as well.
    Last edited by V8Bait; 03-10-2013 at 02:18 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    It all depends on the level of integration you want. There is a basic failsafe available with the Cobb tuning. You set a flow limit and time delay and if flow falls below that limit after that time delay then a solenoid opens to reduce boost. It's not an ideal setup but it's better than nothing. Just keep the tuning a bit on the conservative side with it. On the hardware the Aquamist compression fittings are second to none. I prefer the CM 2.2g tank which houses the pump inside for a simple clean footprint. The electronics will vary based on how you're doing the tuning end (flash only, vs. piggyback).

I won't bother going in to the JB4 integrated meth pitch but I've written about it before and find it to be a superior way to manage meth tuning.

For the JB4 I would suggest either one of our tank kits (which has many parts from CM but is not a "CM kit" per say), or if you want to spend a bit more money and time installing the Aquamist kit w/ the turbine flow sensor. Both feed flow information in to the JB4 to allow proper progressive meth tuning and safety.
    Ah this is good to know. So there is a way I can still use my aquamist setup with JB4 Click here to enlarge
    Has anyone done a write up? @Itsbrokeagain any ideas?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

lol at all the posts, OP sounds like you want a system that 'just works' and know little to nothing about 'how and why' (no offense intended). I would suggest you ask a slightly different question, 'which is easier to install and maintain?' For my 2 cents, the only thing I would suggest is a trunk mount tank and check your fittings every time you wash the car for leaks (as long as thats more often than my wife's annual wash)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast