Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

DMF causing vibration? SMFW Options

Hey guys, I've got an issue with my car where I find that under load in 4th, 5th and 6th I feel a vibration through the car. I've changed the spark plugs but i've read that a few people have solved it using a single mass flywheel. Unfortunately for me, I've not long changed my clutch and FW out (about 1k miles of easy driving). When I removed my failed ACT Street I got my 10k old flywheel replaced under warranty by LUK due to a massive amount of play in it.

I have a feeling that the issue is the flywheel again but having forked out so much already for a HPF stage 2, I was wondering if I could use that clutch with a SMFW? I've seen Advan do one but it is quite pricey once you consider shipping all the way from Australia to UK. Are there any other options to use? Anyone know if a Spec SMFW will work?
    Alpine White 2008 6MT 335i - Cobb AP - PTF Tuned - RB Turbos - AR DPs - VRSF 3.5" exhaust - Custom FMIC - 380mm BBK F&R - BMS DCI - M3 DCT LSD - Whiteline subframe bushes - M3 Sways and rear arms - M3 wishbones - ER CP - Spec Stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW - AST 4100 Coilovers - UUC DSSR -UUC Black tranny mounts - TMS Alu diff bushes - Forge DVs - Aquamist HFS-4 meth - Alufelgen CS7s - BMWP V1 Steering Wheel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I think anyone with an HPF clutch would be interested in this question, I know they recommend using the OEM DMF but maybe you can try emailing them.
    FBO / HFS-4 / Cobb PTF tune

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

HPF are on this forum so hopefully I'll get a response from them. I'm thinking of going for this one:

http://www.protuningfreaks.com/spec-...35i-535xi-n54/

As it is designed to be used for the OEM clutch kit and should also fit the HPF.
    Alpine White 2008 6MT 335i - Cobb AP - PTF Tuned - RB Turbos - AR DPs - VRSF 3.5" exhaust - Custom FMIC - 380mm BBK F&R - BMS DCI - M3 DCT LSD - Whiteline subframe bushes - M3 Sways and rear arms - M3 wishbones - ER CP - Spec Stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW - AST 4100 Coilovers - UUC DSSR -UUC Black tranny mounts - TMS Alu diff bushes - Forge DVs - Aquamist HFS-4 meth - Alufelgen CS7s - BMWP V1 Steering Wheel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Spec is on the forum as well...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Spec is on the forum as well...
    Good stuff, HPF and Spec please share your thoughts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by idnan Click here to enlarge
    Good stuff, HPF and Spec please share your thoughts.
    I wish they watched the threads a bit more closely...

@SPECis @SPEC-01

@HPF Chris

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

As I'm having very similar issues I would also be interested in the outcome of this.

Alpina_B3_Lux
    Current: R8 V10 2013 S-Tronic, daytona grey, carbon side blades, MTM tune, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: R8 V10 2010 manual, ice silver, grey side blades, MTM tune, MTM air filters, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: BMW 335i Individual (Íhlins, PFC brakes, RB turbos etc.)

Gone: Alpina B3 E46 3,3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux Click here to enlarge
    As I'm having very similar issues I would also be interested in the outcome of this.

Alpina_B3_Lux
    It seems this "issue" is more common than I first thought. There are quite a few high powered 6mt n54s on here so would be good if a few more people mention if they have this or not.

@Sticky could you change the title to "DMF causing vibration? SMFW Options" or similar?

Rudypoochris wrote this on another forum:

This is caused by the DMFW. Switched over to steel SMF and no longer hear it. I can only assume the stock flywheel is completely twisted at this torque level and has used up all its travel and was transmitting noise through. I wonder if I held this torque to higher rpm if there would be a misfire.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

could you change the title to "DMF causing vibration? SMFW Options" or similar?
    Yes I can. And I will.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Never posted here before as you guys with all the tech knowledge are a bit intimidating but am thinking perhaps I have this issue. I have an '09 135i 6sp w/Cobb + FMIC, AR catted dps, Berk exhaust and couple other things. When in 4th and accelerate from 2-2.5rpm up it can vibrate quite a bit initially...don't believe it did that before mods. I thought it was just increased hp making itself felt.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lucad Click here to enlarge
    you guys with all the tech knowledge are a bit intimidating
    But we're the friendliest BMW group ever...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    But we're the friendliest BMW group ever...
    +1 and the most helpful IME. I'd much rather sort this out than just say that they all do it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

everything work out?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

I've got HPF S2 clutch with OEM SMFW installed at 78K. The shop didn't resurface it, simply cleaned it up and slapped it back on. As far as I know, The only vibration I can attribute to is when I drop it on 4th gear at below 2K RPM. I think in that situation, there's just too much load so I generally go to 3rd gear.

Is this what the OP is experiencing or something else? The clutch has been great to me.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750 / MHD+JB4 / ADV / SB REAR O2

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

I'm also curious to know whether my HPF S2 clutch will work with a SPEC SMFW.

I've put about 10,000 miles on my HPF S2 clutch that was paired with my stock DMFW that had about 50,000 miles on it.

I'm wondering if I can just go and swap out for a SPEC SMFW and pair it with a 10,000 mile old clutch...
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

If the HPF Stage 2 clutch is unsprung, then you cannot use a single-mass flywheel in any circumstances. And I think this is the case.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I have had the aluminium Spec FW with my HPF stage 2 both on my car for the last 2 weeks. It works, but for the love of god don't!!!

The clutch makes a horrible squeak on engagement, makes a vibration/scraping noise between 1200-2500rpm and obviously the usual chatter on idle. So basically worse than before.

Honestly though I'm thinking of going for a full Spec clutch/fw combination as I am really disappointed in the HPF clutch. All those videos of about how their clutch is "as smooth as butter" is pure BS. Mine judders on engagement and two other people I know have said theirs are the same. So my HPF is likely to be thrown in the trash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

I have had the aluminium Spec FW with my HPF stage 2 both on my car for the last 2 weeks. It works, but for the love of god don't!!!

The clutch makes a horrible squeak on engagement, makes a vibration/scraping noise between 1200-2500rpm and obviously the usual chatter on idle. So basically worse than before.
    It's not HPF's fault on this, really. With an upsprung clutch and unsprung flywheel, you have absolutely no dampening between the engine and transmission. You will probably ruin both.

However HPF does have a problem with almost all of its clutches welding on hard launches.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

After about 1500km I have to say nothing but great times with my spec 3+ and steel flywheel with throwout bearing at mid engagement...its shocking a clutch this capable can be this smooth and honestly chatter is totally reasonable even for me being heavily anti-chatter

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

dzenno have you heard the original LWFW in person? i'm curious how different the noise is compared to the steel
    335xi (sold)
    www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive datalogs

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

I have, this one is a bit quiter

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Is that steel flywheel lighter than OEM? As far as I know, the benefits of lighter flywheel is quicker revs but at the expense of noise.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750 / MHD+JB4 / ADV / SB REAR O2

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    steel smfw is 4lbs / 2kg lighter than OEM dmfw

if oil is cool there is no chatter...
    after a few miles there is chatter ^^

its kind of noise and u can hear
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP6BN...ature=youtu.be
    u can hear it a little bit at 3rd second

but clutch is great, still a bit grabby but holds as hell =)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jpsimon Click here to enlarge
    dzenno have you heard the original LWFW in person? i'm curious how different the noise is compared to the steel
    jpsimon, is your flywheel/clutch combo noise and vibration free from once moving?