Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

25k+ Tuned Miles on Stock Plugs

My plugs were first changed by the Dealer at 41k miles right before I bought my car. I installed my cobb within 5k miles upon purchase, and quickly went to stage 2+ after only a month or so at stage 1. Currently I have 71K miles and I easily have over 20k miles running ~40% e85 mixed with CA 91 octane. I never had a single misfire, but have PTF making a custom tune for me and felt like changing the plugs seeing as they had so many miles on them. For new plugs I went with the NGK 5992 ILZKBR7A-8G PTF recommends and so far so good. Car fired right up and pulls hard to redline. I need to take some logs and send them in to Jake so we can finish my Protune. The NGK 5992's were very easy to gap, and was my first time ever having to gap a spark plug. The only thing I forgot was I don't own a torque wrench so I wasn't able to torque the new plugs to the 17ft lbs your supposed to. So tomorrow I'll be buying a wrench needless to say. Old plugs look pretty good to me. Plugs from left to right are 6,5,4,3,2,1
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Honestly, unless you really want to buy a torque wrench you don't need to. 17ftlbs is almost nothing to pull and as long as you got them good and snug with a 3/8ths ratchet i can guarantee you're atleast at 17ftlbs.

Unless you're willing to pay a lot of money for a good one i wouldn't bother becaue the $25 ones i've seen weren't even calibrated properly. I picked up a cheapo a couple years ago and then took it into work to test it with a torque verify and instead of it being the 25ftlbs i had it set at, it was consistantly closer to 30ftlbs.

just my 2 cents.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

The beam type torque wrenches are inherently very accurate and inexpensive.

I have a cheap HF one that I use for general things, but I use the beam torque wrench when accuracy counts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Okay, I was just worried as I used cobbs video on YouTube to change the plugs and they mentioned you could damage the head if you over torque them or something like that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

it is possible, but unlikely unless you just torque the crap out of them
    -'09 135i MT - Custom 6466 ST - 680whp Click here to enlarge
    -'08 135i AT - 6466 ST - dead
    -'97 318is - Daily
    -'82 320i