Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: X6M mod help

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by m5james Click here to enlarge
    Thread revival, just trying to see if the PP Performance headers are nothing more than stock F10 M5 parts and if my stock X5M turbo's will bolt to them without issue.
    As stated it's better to just modify the housings you have.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That'll solve my turbo upgrade, but I'm still curious about the headers upgrade.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That'll solve my turbo upgrade, but I'm still curious about the headers upgrade.
    Why would the S63TU headers be a big difference from the S63?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Tube vs cast, look at the pictures/link...if wild priced tuners are doing it, it must be for a reason.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Tube vs cast, look at the pictures/link...if wild priced tuners are doing it, it must be for a reason.
    Ok well then it makes sense. Go for the header upgrade if it fits.

I still think you should focus on the turbos themselves though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I agree, they'll come in time. Seems only two people do turbo upgrades, prices range widely and so far it's been unproven as to the gains because fueling is the limit factor right now still after reading on F10 M5 boards. The headers I'm jumping on simply because they're from a wrecked car, so nothing better than junkyard prices vs buying brand new from some tuner claiming that they're their headers...and their markup as well. I'm just hoping that I can get verification of their fitment to the bottom flange of the turbo itself before purchasing them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I agree, they'll come in time. Seems only two people do turbo upgrades, prices range widely and so far it's been unproven as to the gains because fueling is the limit factor right now still after reading on F10 M5 boards. The headers I'm jumping on simply because they're from a wrecked car, so nothing better than junkyard prices vs buying brand new from some tuner claiming that they're their headers...and their markup as well. I'm just hoping that I can get verification of their fitment to the bottom flange of the turbo itself before purchasing them.
    No doubt the fuel system is a limitation. If you really want to go big you'll need to run meth injection at this stage.

I see what you mean regarding the opportunity for headers. I wish I could help you somehow regarding if they fit.

The thing is, isn't the X5M engine bay way bigger? Why wouldn't they fit?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've been looking into meth...it's something I've avoided on the Harley and now the X5M because I wasn't wanting something I'd have to "babysit" by making sure it's full all the time, but after reading how meth can fix a lot of the sooting issues with the X5M, I've decided I don't have a choice. A coworker has a supercharged E39 M5 here with meth and says he maybe fills it once every 4-6 weeks, so that's tolerable...I'll just top it off every month as I see fit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've been looking into meth...it's something I've avoided on the Harley and now the X5M because I wasn't wanting something I'd have to "babysit" by making sure it's full all the time, but after reading how meth can fix a lot of the sooting issues with the X5M, I've decided I don't have a choice. A coworker has a supercharged E39 M5 here with meth and says he maybe fills it once every 4-6 weeks, so that's tolerable...I'll just top it off every month as I see fit.
    Nothing wrong with meth and it can only help you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I know all the pros, it's the con I worry about doing a WOT run and it fails somehow. I've also gotta figure out how to adjust it properly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I know all the pros, it's the con I worry about doing a WOT run and it fails somehow. I've also gotta figure out how to adjust it properly.
    That is why you don't lean it on it too hard and also possibly look into meth safeties included with something like a JB4.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I assume JB4 is something that'll eventually get phased out and used in actual tunes? I just don't wanna buy something that'll be obselete in 6 months once tuners get better at figuring out how to control things like wastegates, fuel pressure, etc.

Hell, I cant even decide on tune. You said no ESS, yet they'll do things that Eurocharged says they've don't do or never heard of...turning off cold morning idle, upping the rev limiter, Stage 3 for using meth, and they're only limiting to 22psi vs ESS pushing 24psi.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I assume JB4 is something that'll eventually get phased out and used in actual tunes? I just don't wanna buy something that'll be obselete in 6 months once tuners get better at figuring out how to control things like wastegates, fuel pressure, etc.
    No because the meth integration is something a flash tune can't do the way the piggyback can. If it detects an interruption in meth flow it can change the map on the fly I believe. The flash tune can't do that.

You can talk to @Terry@BMS regarding meth safety guards I don't use a JB4 so I don't know the full details.

Hell, I cant even decide on tune. You said no ESS, yet they'll do things that Eurocharged says they've don't do or never heard of...turning off cold morning idle, upping the rev limiter, Stage 3 for using meth, and they're only limiting to 22psi vs ESS pushing 24psi.
    Did Eurocharged say they couldn't do those things?

I mean there are several ESS horror stories that have yet to even be posted but that doesn't mean you might not have a good result with them.

I'd at least also ask Evolve before you settle. Frankly, ask as many tuners as you can.

There is also TTFS @TTFS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123