Close

Page 18 of 54 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Cn555ic Click here to enlarge
    Okay...I dont know if these posts will sooner or later pop up more and more frequently as the delivery of the cables are arriving to peoples houses. You guys really need to sit down and dont rush through this process just to get it flashed on your car, but methodically go through the steps of updating Ediabas and Winkfp. I feel bad that I even put up the DIY because of stuff like this..
    You shouldn't feel bad at all, bud. You're making it abundantly clear that people need to pay attention to the details.

Personally, my concern is finding everything with no missing files, as that seems to be a common occurrence.
    335i Coupe, JB4 (G4, map 5) DCI and 40% E85 blend: 2009 BMW 335i Coupe: 12.173 @ 109.490 MPH

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wedge1967 Click here to enlarge
    I had a call from two members I won't name, who were having an issue with flashing as the flash only took two minutes to complete from the time they clicked program and it only prompted once for x number of flashes left.

PLEASE NOTE: Your flash should take 4 min to complete from the time you hit program. When we said it would take 10 minutes we included all the prep time looking at all of the current coding so we would know how to flash it back if needed. It will go through three 0 to 100% cycles and should prompt you for X number of remaining flashes twice before it completes. When you hit program, you will get prompted you have x number of flashes remaining. Then the first 0 to 100 will hang at 0 for a bit and then jump to 100 quickly. The second 0 to 100 will take much longer. Then you should get prompted again you have x number of flashes and then another 0 to 100 which will be twice as fast as the last 0 to 100. You will then get programing complete.

So, if you only had two 0 to 100's and the second was quick and the entire process only took two minutes, you have issues with your software. When I looked at this, I noticed that EDIABAS was missing API.DLL and NCSExpert wouldn't load. If EDIABAS doesn't load correctly, it will not flash your firmware.

I fixed the applications and re-flashed his transmission and he said it too twice as long this time as it did last time. This tells me WinKFP skipped the Firmware flash and just loaded the programming. So you see D1 and S1, but you will have transmission ERRORS as the firmware must be updated for the Alpina programming to work.

Like we have told everyone before, if you don't have all the right software or knowledge to setup the software correctly you will cause more harm than good. It will look like you actually flashed, but you really need to go back and get everything fixed so you can re-flash to fix the firmware. Even if you flash back, you could still have issues or errors because the software is not setup correctly. The car I re-flashed is still getting the 511B, but doesn't have any other issues or errors now.

There is a lot of BAD software floating around the Internet. We can't control what software you download, but just understand if you get the wrong download you could be walking.
    thanks for info.
    im pretty sure i have all the correct software, it might be the k-can cable im using. im gonna try to get my hands on one some time this week and re-flash it again. i find it weird thati ts only reverse gear is messed up, the car drives super in D,S and M modes. That 511b code is related to the coding, if a reflash with the k + d-can cable doesnt work i guess a rebuilt is needed...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kylu II Click here to enlarge
    thanks for info.
    im pretty sure i have all the correct software, it might be the k-can cable im using. im gonna try to get my hands on one some time this week and re-flash it again. i find it weird thati ts only reverse gear is messed up, the car drives super in D,S and M modes. That 511b code is related to the coding, if a reflash with the k + d-can cable doesnt work i guess a rebuilt is needed...
    The 511B code may not be related to your issue given it has been mentioned in posts as far back as 2010 before any of this TCU flashing was going on.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Okay...I dont know if these posts will sooner or later pop up more and more frequently as the delivery of the cables are arriving to peoples houses. You guys really need to sit down and dont rush through this process just to get it flashed on your car, but methodically go through the steps of updating Ediabas and Winkfp. I feel bad that I even put up the DIY because of stuff like this..
    dont beat yourself up, youve have contributed alot to this community and anyone that attempts to do any sort of DIY should know the consequences.
    btw, dont know if you noticed but theres a menu under winkfp that shows the flash history of the module and looks like so,

Entry 1:

Vehicle identification number: WB*********
    Date: 01.03.2007
    Change index:
    Software number: 7576507
    Office number: 0000000
    Assembly identification number: 7576506
    Seral number: 12345
    Program number: 0479SA0T360Z
    Kilometer: 0
    Dealer number: 011111
    @rdzenno this is how i was able to find my previous FW version...
    Last edited by Kylu II; 02-25-2013 at 01:20 AM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by stangorang Click here to enlarge
    The 511B code may not be related to your issue given it has been mentioned in posts as far back as 2010 before any of this TCU flashing was going on.
    yes but i had no codes under the gearbox prior to the flash. not 1 code came up when the trans was acting weird were it wound downshift or shift early around 4k rpm.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wedge1967 Click here to enlarge
    I had a call from two members I won't name, who were having an issue with flashing as the flash only took two minutes to complete from the time they clicked program and it only prompted once for x number of flashes left.

PLEASE NOTE: Your flash should take 4 min to complete from the time you hit program. When we said it would take 10 minutes we included all the prep time looking at all of the current coding so we would know how to flash it back if needed. It will go through three 0 to 100% cycles and should prompt you for X number of remaining flashes twice before it completes. When you hit program, you will get prompted you have x number of flashes remaining. Then the first 0 to 100 will hang at 0 for a bit and then jump to 100 quickly. The second 0 to 100 will take much longer. Then you should get prompted again you have x number of flashes and then another 0 to 100 which will be twice as fast as the last 0 to 100. You will then get programing complete.

So, if you only had two 0 to 100's and the second was quick and the entire process only took two minutes, you have issues with your software. When I looked at this, I noticed that EDIABAS was missing API.DLL and NCSExpert wouldn't load. If EDIABAS doesn't load correctly, it will not flash your firmware.

I fixed the applications and re-flashed his transmission and he said it too twice as long this time as it did last time. This tells me WinKFP skipped the Firmware flash and just loaded the programming. So you see D1 and S1, but you will have transmission ERRORS as the firmware must be updated for the Alpina programming to work.

Like we have told everyone before, if you don't have all the right software or knowledge to setup the software correctly you will cause more harm than good. It will look like you actually flashed, but you really need to go back and get everything fixed so you can re-flash to fix the firmware. Even if you flash back, you could still have issues or errors because the software is not setup correctly. The car I re-flashed is still getting the 511B, but doesn't have any other issues or errors now.

There is a lot of BAD software floating around the Internet. We can't control what software you download, but just understand if you get the wrong download you could be walking.
    Hmm, that's a bit scary. I only got one '... flashes remaining' prompt, but I'm using standard tools 2.12.0 and my NCS Expert and INPA work perfectly. Presumably the best way to check if everything is working properly is to clear codes, drive the car then see if any come back? Thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

It looks as though those that experience this quick flash and no errors are definitely not loading up the required firmware for the flash..I remotely helped someone who experienced this that flashed their car with no errors...The car acted normal but when I checked the assembly line number on his car with INPA, it indeed still showed his old assembly line number. This is definitely not a good thing for sure especially the software not matching the firmware that it was intended for...For those that experience this quick flash, there is something wrong, so either fix it or seek some help to retify the issue as its not a great idea for the car to be running long with this mismatch software and firmware...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It looks as though those that experience this quick flash and no errors are definitely not loading up the required firmware for the flash..I remotely helped someone who experienced this that flashed their car with no errors...The car acted normal but when I checked the assembly line number on his car with INPA, it indeed still showed his old assembly line number. This is definitely not a good thing for sure especially the software not matching the firmware that it was intended for...For those that experience this quick flash, there is something wrong, so either fix it or seek some help to retify the issue as its not a great idea for the car to be running long with this mismatch software and firmware...
    I'm not sure that's necessarily true. I think, at least for the gearbox, that each ZB-nr (assembly number) consists of a firmware image from ZF (shown as 'Hardware number' in WinKFP) and some configuration/mapping data from BMW or, in this case, Alpina.

My original ZB-nr for my EGS was 7603535. If I pick this in WinKFP, it references the exact same hardware number as the Alpina flash (7591971). I therefore think WinKFP can recognise that the gearbox is already running the correct ZF firmware and is just applying the Alpina map to it. Indeed, I've checked with INPA and confirmed that my UIF for EGS now contains the new Alpina ZB-nr.

Those who've done this and only seen two progress bars for the flash: Could you check with INPA and see what your ZB-nr for your EGS is now showing as? Also, try entering your original EGS ZB-nr (you did record it, right? Click here to enlarge) into WinKFP and see what it displays for the 'Hardware number'...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh, one other thing - Cn555ic and Wedge1967, do you have the WinKFP configuration option 'Force program programming in comfort mode' checked? I suspect that forces WinKFP to re-write the program even if it already matches the one in the assembly number you select...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kylu II Click here to enlarge
    Entry 1:

Vehicle identification number: WB*********
    Date: 01.03.2007
    Change index:
    Software number: 7576507
    Office number: 0000000
    Assembly identification number: 7576506
    Seral number: 12345
    Program number: 0479SA0T360Z
    Kilometer: 0
    Dealer number: 011111
    @rdzenno this is how i was able to find my previous FW version...

I am not sure about it, look at KyluII accompanying numbers for ZB number and part number from stock and there is no hardware part #7591971 ..Mine has changed entirely...KyluII can you post pics of what your numbers show after the flash?

These are mine logged from INPA
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

These are what they were before..
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by seanblee Click here to enlarge
    I'm not sure that's necessarily true. I think, at least for the gearbox, that each ZB-nr (assembly number) consists of a firmware image from ZF (shown as 'Hardware number' in WinKFP) and some configuration/mapping data from BMW or, in this case, Alpina.

My original ZB-nr for my EGS was 7603535. If I pick this in WinKFP, it references the exact same hardware number as the Alpina flash (7591971). I therefore think WinKFP can recognise that the gearbox is already running the correct ZF firmware and is just applying the Alpina map to it. Indeed, I've checked with INPA and confirmed that my UIF for EGS now contains the new Alpina ZB-nr.

Those who've done this and only seen two progress bars for the flash: Could you check with INPA and see what your ZB-nr for your EGS is now showing as? Also, try entering your original EGS ZB-nr (you did record it, right? Click here to enlarge) into WinKFP and see what it displays for the 'Hardware number'...
    I helped someone flash his car yesterday after he initially had only a quick flash...Indeed his car had no errors but I also checked his ZB number and its was not the ones that was used to flash it to...After I went in there and configured his laptop for him and then started the flash, the guy was like wow this was nothing like the first time I did it...After it progress though the normal flash like I listed on my DIY, I checked with INPA again and this time all the numbers corresponded to the flash....
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Mine was the 'quick flash' too. Car still worked, just had funny shift points. I have updated to version 2.5.2, fixed the missing api.dll for Ediabas and will go through the process of setting up WinKFP again.

Anything specific I should be looking for? Previously my INPA, NCSexpert worked fine. Ive coded with NCS before with no issue.
    -'09 135i MT - Custom 6466 ST - 680whp Click here to enlarge
    -'08 135i AT - 6466 ST - dead
    -'97 318is - Daily
    -'82 320i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Xearom3 Click here to enlarge
    Mine was the 'quick flash' too. Car still worked, just had funny shift points. I have updated to version 2.5.2, fixed the missing api.dll for Ediabas and will go through the process of setting up WinKFP again.

Anything specific I should be looking for? Previously my INPA, NCSexpert worked fine. Ive coded with NCS before with no issue.

funny shift points for what gear are you talking about...Nothing out the usual of the norm of installing INPA and NCSexpert...I dont know what to tell you...Just go through it slowly and methodically. Cant rush this.. I have flashed well over 15 cars and each flash was identical in every way...I flashed older 2007 and 2009 and they all flashed the same way as my DIY.
    Last edited by Cn555ic; 02-25-2013 at 03:58 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I remembered that the popups are the number of remaining times that the UIF can be written to, not the times the ECU can be flashed. WinKFP's Help is quite useful - it explains that WinKFP writes to the UIF in a comfort mode programming cycle once when it writes 'data' and once when it writes 'program', which explains why you see two popups when the program needs updating too. The checkbox I mentioned forces it to always write the program even when only a data update is required.

I'm sure it's not right in all cases, and I'm sure there are plenty of people who just don't have the software configured correctly, but I'm happy that mine has been updated correctly even though the flash only took ~2 minutes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by seanblee Click here to enlarge
    I remembered that the popups are the number of remaining times that the UIF can be written to, not the times the ECU can be flashed. WinKFP's Help is quite useful - it explains that WinKFP writes to the UIF in a comfort mode programming cycle once when it writes 'data' and once when it writes 'program', which explains why you see two popups when the program needs updating too. The checkbox I mentioned forces it to always write the program even when only a data update is required.

I'm sure it's not right in all cases, and I'm sure there are plenty of people who just don't have the software configured correctly, but I'm happy that mine has been updated correctly even though the flash only took ~2 minutes.

You believe what you want since you are already convincing yourself you did it correctly. So I wont even go there any further with this as to your car...All I am saying is I have flashed about 15 cars to your one and ALL of them flashed with the same process..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Off-topic but how long does the cable you recommend usually take to ship since its coming from Hong kong? the Hong Kong post tracking # I got isn't working.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmw335iguy Click here to enlarge
    Off-topic but how long does the cable you recommend usually take to ship since its coming from Hong kong? the Hong Kong post tracking # I got isn't working.
    Usually about 2 weeks.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Cables usually take awhile to get here since they ship via the cheapest way
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You believe what you want since you are already convincing yourself you did it correctly. So I wont even go there any further with this as to your car...All I am saying is I have flashed about 15 cars to your one and ALL of them flashed with the same process..
    It sounds like I've offended you, in which case I'm sorry, that wasn't my intent. I was just trying to understand what the 'flash' is actually comprised of and how the update works...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

funny shift points for what gear are you talking about...Nothing out the usual of the norm of installing INPA and NCSexpert...I dont know what to tell you...Just go through it slowly and methodically. Cant rush this.. I have flashed well over 15 cars and each flash was identical in every way...I flashed older 2007 and 2009 and they all flashed the same way as my DIY.
    When going to Update ZUSB and highlighting GKE215 I now see "<default>" and "ECU = SM,ADDR = 18" rather than "Unverbaut" like i did before. When I click OK, i get "03GKE215.ipo not found or erroneous". Ive searched the entire Daten folder and cannot find this file. Could you send me this? Email is xearom3 at gmail dot com.

EDIT: i see i have an 11GKE215.ipo
    -'97 318is - Daily
    -'82 320i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

When going to Update ZUSB and highlighting GKE215 I now see "<default>" and "ECU = SM,ADDR = 18" rather than "Unverbaut" like i did before. When I click OK, i get "03GKE215.ipo not found or erroneous". Ive searched the entire Daten folder and cannot find this file. Could you send me this? Email is xearom3 at gmail dot com.
    Sending you that one file would be useless as if your missing it that means your installation there is something wrong with it...Go back and check installation as it has to be in your SPdaten E89 48.1
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Sending you that one file would be useless as if your missing it that means your installation there is something wrong with it...Go back and check installation as it has to be in your SPdaten E89 48.1
    Dont see it in my SP-daten-E89 directory. I got the Daten .rar from a link earlier in the other thread. Its listed as SP-DATEN-E89_v48.1
    -'97 318is - Daily
    -'82 320i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Dont see it in my SP-daten-E89 directory. I got the Daten .rar from a link earlier in the other thread. Its listed as SP-DATEN-E89_v48.1
    look in data and it should be within that..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

took car for a "real" drive today after clearing errors and such.

very enjoyable.

those downshifts, man... feels like a different car.
    Click here to enlarge

Page 18 of 54 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast