Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FI Fan Click here to enlarge
    AMS has the ability to tune ECU's in house for almost all cars. They have the ability to decode stock files and rewrite to them
    Not this one though. Yet.

At the present time they do not have the ability to read and write to the BMW M5 ECU and for this reason they are going to work with ESS and IND to offer an immediate solution.
    Ya but nobody has full control of this ECU yet. It will essentially be a waiting game and I'm talking years not months. I mean no offense, but ESS has not shown the level of tuning prowess necessary to make this happen although I fully wish them luck.

When they are given the ability to read and write to the factory ECU they will have their own tuning options available as well.
    Agreed. This is the key.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Not this one though. Yet.

Ya but nobody has full control of this ECU yet. It will essentially be a waiting game and I'm talking years not months. I mean no offense, but ESS has not shown the level of tuning prowess necessary to make this happen although I fully wish them luck.

Agreed. This is the key.
    I know they dont yet, I don't understand why you felt the need to separate my first sentence I clearly stated in the following sentence that the F10 M5 is an exception. I was merely trying to clear up the false statement that AMS doesn't tune in house... quite the contrary.

Regarding your waiting game comment how do you know its going to take years? That is a pretty bold statement. Do you have any background in this field of ECU encryption? People said the GT-R could never be tuned. One year later AMS ran a 9 second pass...two years later an 8 second pass. Time will tell what can be done and when it can be done but throwing out any kind of a timeline at this point is about as accurate as throwing a dart blindfolded. Let's give all parties the benefit of the doubt until they can prove otherwise.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

I know they dont yet, I don't understand why you felt the need to separate my first sentence I clearly stated in the following sentence that the F10 M5 is an exception
    For emphasis. It's the most important part, isn't it?

Regarding your waiting game comment how do you know its going to take years?
    Because this isn't my first rodeo with a modern M car and I spend a slight bit of time reading/researching them.

Do you have any background in this field of ECU encryption? People said the GT-R could never be tuned.
    There's a difference between having a million Asians all working in unison on decrpyting an ECU and a company like Nissan who uses the GTR as a matter of pride and knows it will be a mod platform due to its history versus BMW who does everything they can to make the ECU a pain in the ass to decipher and the car itself to modify.

One year later AMS ran a 9 second pass...two years later an 8 second pass.
    Yep, because the ECU was cracked and they do an awesome job. AMS is great.

Time will tell what can be done and when it can be done but throwing out any kind of a timeline at this point is about as accurate as throwing a dart blindfolded.
    No, it's based on experience and knowledge.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There's a difference between having a million Asians all working in unison on decrpyting an ECU and a company like Nissan who uses the GTR as a matter of pride and knows it will be a mod platform due to its history versus BMW who does everything they can to make the ECU a pain in the ass to decipher and the car itself to modify.
    Somewhere along the way you were giving some pretty bad info. Cobb helped crack the ECU and while they might have a few employees of Asian decent on their staff (I'm not sure) I can tell you with utmost certainty the entire staff is under that of 100 people let alone a million.

Also the GT-R is a matter of pride amongst Nissan but I think you will be surprised as to what they think of companies like AMS that play with what they consider "perfection" they do not look kindly upon modifying the GT-R and take great insult at the mere thought. They took as many steps as they could to PREVENT the very type of thing AMS is doing with it.

I do 100% agree the BMW ECU has its own roadblocks but if it can be written...it can be decoded. Time will tell how long that will take. We are just going to have to sit back and let those that can....do.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Somewhere along the way you were giving some pretty bad info. Cobb helped crack the ECU and while they might have a few employees of Asian decent on their staff (I'm not sure) I can tell you with utmost certainty the entire staff is under that of 100 people let alone a million.
    I really don't think so. I have no doubt in Cobb's skill but to assume that the country of origin for the car and its tuners didn't play a role is a bit naive.

Also the GT-R is a matter of pride amongst Nissan but I think you will be surprised as to what they think of companies like AMS that play with what they consider "perfection" they do not look kindly upon modifying the GT-R and take great insult at the mere thought. They took as many steps as they could to PREVENT the very type of thing AMS is doing with it.
    Their is the corporate view and then the real view. Nissan plays with the car themselves with all the different software modes and ecu tune profiles. They were doing it since back in the R32, R33, R34 days when they themselves modified their cars to take to the ring. It's politics really.

I do 100% agree the BMW ECU has its own roadblocks but if it can be written...it can be decoded. Time will tell how long that will take. We are just going to have to sit back and let those that can....do.
    Exactly. I'm just saying this is going to be a long process.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I really don't think so. I have no doubt in Cobb's skill but to assume that the country of origin for the car and its tuners didn't play a role is a bit naive.
    Not naive at all, I speak from first hand experience. I was very close to this process at the time it was being done. There were other companies in Japan (HKS, Greddy, ETC) that cracked it on their own time but I can tell you that the gentleman at Cobb used their in house engineers to crack the GT-R ECU and they were the first to do it the level that allowed for near limitless tuning. I can also tell you that Nissan didn't help them at ALL in this process. In fact they did what they could to deter them.

Anyway, I have steered this pretty off topic. Lets hope this process moves along quicker than later Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Not naive at all, I speak from first hand experience. I was very close to this process at the time it was being done.
    Yes I got the impression you had some "interest" in this.

There were other companies in Japan (HKS, Greddy, ETC) that cracked it on their own time but I can tell you that the gentleman at Cobb used their in house engineers to crack the GT-R ECU and they were the first to do it the level that allowed for near limitless tuning.
    I don't doubt that just wanted to point out Japanese tuners are humping the GT-R pretty hard too.

I can also tell you that Nissan didn't help them at ALL in this process. In fact they did what they could to deter them.
    To an extent, of course, but Nissan isn't stupid and knows how popular these things are to modify.

Anyway, I have steered this pretty off topic. Lets hope this process moves along quicker than later
    No worries this forum likes discussion that is open ended.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Anyone heard anything about this build? My guess is no but this one interests me quite a lot so if there is some new info on it please share Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DFM Click here to enlarge
    Anyone heard anything about this build? My guess is no but this one interests me quite a lot so if there is some new info on it please share Click here to enlarge
    Honestly, big lack of info for now.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Didnt ams say they were gonna make an upgraded turbo set up like 2-3 years ago for n54 lol. where is it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Black335i Click here to enlarge
    Didnt ams say they were gonna make an upgraded turbo set up like 2-3 years ago for n54 lol. where is it?
    I don't know never heard anything about that .
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I can't wait to see how this turns out. Might convince me to get one of these some day. I'd love to see this platform hit the 1000 hp mark. Of course, the M157 will always have an advantage. It's purpose-built, much bigger, and doesn't have to deal with strange turbo placement. It will be much easier to get 1000 hp out of an M157, they're close now. But, a fully built S63 will have huge potential, I'm thinking a good bit more than 1000 hp someday. Very excited to see this happen.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    I can't wait to see how this turns out. Might convince me to get one of these some day. I'd love to see this platform hit the 1000 hp mark. Of course, the M157 will always have an advantage. It's purpose-built, much bigger, and doesn't have to deal with strange turbo placement. It will be much easier to get 1000 hp out of an M157, they're close now. But, a fully built S63 will have huge potential, I'm thinking a good bit more than 1000 hp someday. Very excited to see this happen.
    They are both purpose built.

It's really too early to tell right now. The M157 is limited by space keep in mind whereas the turbos here are top mounted. I think you are calling it way too early.

The S63TU also revs higher.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

True. I'm not saying that 7 years from now, they won't be making similar power. But it's hard to deny the ease of bolting on turbos and ICs to an M157 and having an engine that can make 905 hp on race gas. Will not be seeing that from the S63, those rods are not looking up to the task. It looks like the S63 is unfortunately a bit more "cost-cut" than we would like to see, but a built one should be beastly. Hopefully they are hard at work on it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    True. I'm not saying that 7 years from now, they won't be making similar power. But it's hard to deny the ease of bolting on turbos and ICs to an M157 and having an engine that can make 905 hp on race gas. Will not be seeing that from the S63, those rods are not looking up to the task. It looks like the S63 is unfortunately a bit more "cost-cut" than we would like to see, but a built one should be beastly. Hopefully they are hard at work on it.
    Once again, it's just too early to tell.

Bolt on performance is pretty close thus far and I don't think we've even seen the best bolt on's have to offer yet certainly not for the S63TU.

Regarding ease of bolting on turbos, I have to say that goes in the S63's favor. There is not a ton of room (and I have talked to tuners working on the M157 in this regard) to upgrade the M157 turbos/manifolds.

So, perhaps the S63 will be able to go to bigger turbos? We'll just have to wait and see. It's going to be fun!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Once again, it's just too early to tell.

Bolt on performance is pretty close thus far and I don't think we've even seen the best bolt on's have to offer yet certainly not for the S63TU.

Regarding ease of bolting on turbos, I have to say that goes in the S63's favor. There is not a ton of room (and I have talked to tuners working on the M157 in this regard) to upgrade the M157 turbos/manifolds.

So, perhaps the S63 will be able to go to bigger turbos? We'll just have to wait and see. It's going to be fun!
    Most definitely. I don't think there's much room in the V of the S63 for turbos either, so it will be very interesting to see what happens. I want an excuse to buy an F10 M5 Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Most definitely. I don't think there's much room in the V of the S63 for turbos either, so it will be very interesting to see what happens. I want an excuse to buy an F10 M5 Click here to enlarge
    But you can always go up Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

But you can always go up Click here to enlarge
    Haha this is true. Have you seen the video of the X6M with turbos so big they're coming out of the V? Its funny, although I don't know what happened to that thing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Haha this is true. Have you seen the video of the X6M with turbos so big they're coming out of the V? Its funny, although I don't know what happened to that thing.
    I know exactly what you are referring to. Nothing ever came of it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

What a shame...that could have been vital R&D Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This one?
    E46 323i-rip
    e46325ci- sold
    e85 z4-sold
    e46-m3-ripClick here to enlarge
    fj cruiser- sold
    e90 325i-sold
    e30 325i vert-current
    http://theworstdrug.com/25

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by G0TB00ST? Click here to enlarge
    That's the one.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

The S63TU also revs higher.

Bingo and we have a winner.

I am an ex crypto engineer.... well 23 years ago I finished.. but having spoken to many people about the S63 it will not be an easy job as the boffins at BMW seem mighty determined to avoid the N54 secondary market explosion in the higher end S63

IMHO - if this mod costs anywhere near $100k I cannot see a critical mass of M5 people jumping on board when their original investment was $100k and they can go and buy a new Merc and add bolt ons to get to near 900hp for far less... or they can sell their M5 and buy another near $150-200k high performance vehicle
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s
    2015 McLaren 650S (RHD) - UK - 1/3rd owner yet to drive

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Group.america Click here to enlarge
    Bingo and we have a winner.

I am an ex crypto engineer.... well 23 years ago I finished.. but having spoken to many people about the S63 it will not be an easy job as the boffins at BMW seem mighty determined to avoid the N54 secondary market explosion in the higher end S63

IMHO - if this mod costs anywhere near $100k I cannot see a critical mass of M5 people jumping on board when their original investment was $100k and they can go and buy a new Merc and add bolt ons to get to near 900hp for far less... or they can sell their M5 and buy another near $150-200k high performance vehicle
    There is no way this will cost 100k, just doesn't make sense. I mean, with every possible possible modification AMS could ever make, installed, car shipped, tuned, basically turn key, I could see maybe 60-75 MAX for this. I'm really just interested to see their turbo upgrade kit + ESS tune, once ESS cracks the ECU.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

There is no way this will cost 100k, just doesn't make sense. I mean, with every possible possible modification AMS could ever make, installed, car shipped, tuned, basically turn key, I could see maybe 60-75 MAX for this. I'm really just interested to see their turbo upgrade kit + ESS tune, once ESS cracks the ECU.
    Everyone is waiting on the ECU to be cracked. It isn't ESS that will crack it. They will pay for the same keys as everyone else.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast