Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Spray pattern with Recessed Meth nozzle (vid & pics)

Took these pics while my wife did 7/5 command mode with the recessed nozzle and it doesnt seem to be hitting the sides at all. Again this is with the naked eye on video. This was with a DO10 nozzle.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

JB4 G5, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Oh man, that seems like a ton of flow. I wonder what it looks like when the air is pressurized and flying through there?
    335i Coupe, JB4 (G4, map 5) DCI and 40% E85 blend: 2009 BMW 335i Coupe: 12.173 @ 109.490 MPH

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Hey Rob, hows the head after your Methanol video? LOL Click here to enlarge sniff, sniff... LOL... did you order some FTW Purple E85? Think I need to buy a couple of 5g cans for Shift Sector. Instant power add...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wedge1967 Click here to enlarge
    Hey Rob, hows the head after your Methanol video? LOL Click here to enlarge sniff, sniff... LOL... did you order some FTW Purple E85? Think I need to buy a couple of 5g cans for Shift Sector. Instant power add...
    LOL!! I think I was a bit high!! Purple E85?
    JB4 G5, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GetSomeE92 Click here to enlarge
    Oh man, that seems like a ton of flow. I wonder what it looks like when the air is pressurized and flying through there?
    Plus the other DO7...I bet it is much better with pressurized air.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

I keep trying to give you some rep however i have, apparently, given you too much already judging by the "you must spread rep" message i keep getting Click here to enlarge

I am a HUGE fan of data and demonstration and you sir are providing bothClick here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

This is exactly what I found with my CM10 as well, nice to see it captured on vid!!

When I was testing mine out I had a couple things pop into my head:
    1) When there is extremely pressurized, fast flowing air atomizing the mist, the spray pattern will bend in the direction of the airflow a bit. To counter that concern I was thinking that since the mist is coming out pressurized and in a funnel type orientation, the mist would bend a bit further from the point at where the recessed area is since it is most densely packed and pressurized there.

2) since airflow will follow the path of least resistance the recessed area is where some of the air will be directing towards. There's a possibility that the air atomizing and bending the mist as well as blowing it up into the recessed area could cause small droplet formation on the recessed edge.
    I'm assuming that with the rate of air flow this would be VERY minor if it were to occur at all and if it did, the droplets would be pretty far from the throttle body so they would still atomize to a degree as they approached it.

Edit: now that I think of this, the pressured mist coming in would promote a downdraft as well, but either way - it's way too minor to worry thinking about LOL, I just stuck it in there and said F it, it's good.
    Last edited by Dr. G; 02-15-2013 at 02:48 AM.
    jb4+fbo+meth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dr. G Click here to enlarge
    This is exactly what I found with my CM10 as well, nice to see it captured on vid!!

When I was testing mine out I had a couple things pop into my head:
    1) When there is extremely pressurized, fast flowing air atomizing the mist, the spray pattern will bend in the direction of the airflow a bit. To counter that concern I was thinking that since the mist is coming out pressured and in a funnel type orientation, the mist would bend a bit further from the point at where the recessed area is since it is most densely packed and pressurized there.

2) since airflow will follow the path of least resistance the recessed area is where some of the air will be directing towards. There's a possibility that the air atomizing and bending the mist as well as blowing it up into the recessed area could cause small droplet formation on the recessed edge.
    I'm assuming that with the rate of air flow this would be VERY minor if it were to occur at all and if it did, the droplets would be pretty far from the throttle body so they would still atomize to a degree as they approached it.
    Sounds like a question for @DBFIU
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by robc1976 Click here to enlarge
    Took these pics while my wife did 7/5 command mode with the recessed nozzle and it doesnt seem to be hitting the sides at all. Again this is with the naked eye on video. This was with a DO10 nozzle.
    Great pics, thanks! +repped!
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

that seems like a TON of flow man.. you tested actual flow, ml/min?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I stumbled on a video @Hotrod182 made a while ago with similar results.

It doesn't seem like there's much to worry about here, unless you're aiming for complete optimization.
    Last edited by trufus; 02-15-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    the ratio of the momentum of both streams of flow is called the blowdown ratio, it can tell you how far the penetrating flow stream will make it into the cross stream and also tell you how far away you need to be before the mixture becomes homogeneous. There are a plethora of equations that can predict that and it is very popular thesis for a lot of people that are into interacting mixtures.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xbox_fan Click here to enlarge
    Great pics, thanks! +repped!
    Same here, nicely done.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    I keep trying to give you some rep however i have, apparently, given you too much already judging by the "you must spread rep" message i keep getting Click here to enlarge

I am a HUGE fan of data and demonstration and you sir are providing bothClick here to enlarge
    I greatly appreciate that my friend!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    that seems like a TON of flow man.. you tested actual flow, ml/min?
    I actually havent....It looks like a ton of flow but wasnt as much as it seems....it looks like a waer faucet but the towel i had in the CP was not very wet. I know methanol evaporated but it was not very wet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

I need to clarify, I found out the nozzle in the vid was a DO7 NOT a DO10.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

I havev shaved down the Meth bung to make noozle flush....DIY will be posted.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Here is with dual nozzles, much better pattarn and optimization....the flow looked so extremen on the 1st vid beacuse it was 250 psi going to a DO7. the vid below is a DO7 & DO10

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Here is with dual nozzles, much better pattarn and optimization....the flow looked so extremen on the 1st vid beacuse it was 250 psi going to a DO7. the vid below is a DO7 & DO10

http://youtu.be/xuEdZnE_sSI
    A bit OT, but dude... I watched some of your spider videos. That $#@!'s crazy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Made a DIY here for meth bung shaving:

http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...897#post401897

Here is the finished product:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by trufus Click here to enlarge
    A bit OT, but dude... I watched some of your spider videos. That $#@!'s crazy.
    Been doing that for 24 years LOL!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Rob, not to be OT, but you put a single bung in your intercooler? Still debating about a custom up-pipe with bungs or just putting both on the IC outlet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

I actually havent....It looks like a ton of flow but wasnt as much as it seems....it looks like a waer faucet but the towel i had in the CP was not very wet. I know methanol evaporated but it was not very wet.
    you should test it, im curious now. also, how is it controlled and what are you power levels?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    you should test it, im curious now. also, how is it controlled and what are you power levels?
    It is controlled with a BMS FSB...I am at about 520+ last time I dynoed meth flow cut out (different kit) I got pissed because it kept getting air in the lines. I crumbled up the sheet and put it in my console....wife cleaned car and can you guess where my crumbled up Dyno sheet went? Yeah...right in the trash Click here to enlarge...my fault though lol!

that is with a 90 additive and 24 over boost safety...in the vid I am at 80 additive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tzu Click here to enlarge
    Rob, not to be OT, but you put a single bung in your intercooler? Still debating about a custom up-pipe with bungs or just putting both on the IC outlet.
    I put 2nd bung on the lower intercooler pipe at the elbow. I didn't want to go lower because I wanted to minimize drain. When I had a single DO14 I had my selonoid literally 2" from the nozzle lol!!
    Last edited by robc1976; 02-17-2013 at 05:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast