Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

ANOTHER Spec Stage 3+ clutch and SMFW thread

Welp, last week while doing some datalogging my stock clutch finally started giving out. For 66K miles(40K miles tuned and 20K of those FBO+ meth at well over 450rwtq) it held on like champ and i can't complain one bit. I knew the time was coming so i had already done my research and reading so i had already decided on the Spec Stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW. PM'd Dzenno@protuningfreaks and had it on the way. It showed up tonight and i'm very satisfied with what i see so far. If the aluminum bellhousing bolts arrive at the dealer in time me and buddy will be doing the install this saturday. I'll be sure to keep the thread updated with pics and a review during and after clutch break in.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    That really is a good looking set-up! Looking forward to your thoughts on the set-up! I know that I want the stage 3+ but want to hear more about the smfw.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    By the way how much is the clutch and flywheel weight together?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    A lot of these SPEC threads popping up. Hope this goes well, watching closely.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Keep us updated.
    My set is going in on Monday.

I think I have all the parts I need, except the Rear Main Seal (11117584398)., read somewhere its good to change it while its easy access.
    BMW 335i xDrive MT
    COBB Stage2+|Wagner FMIC|CPe-Downpipes|BMW Performance Exhaust

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looking forward to your post-breakin ... good luck with install
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blackshan Click here to enlarge
    That really is a good looking set-up! Looking forward to your thoughts on the set-up! I know that I want the stage 3+ but want to hear more about the smfw.
    By the way how much is the clutch and flywheel weight together?
    Yeah, the single mass flywheel is the big question mark here. I can definitely live with a little bit if chatter, but it's my DD so i want to minimize it as much as i can.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Looking forward to your post-breakin ... good luck with install
    Me and a buddy watched the HPF install video and he said it looks like a VERY install compared to the Fords he normally works on at the dealership. He said he could get the trans out in under 45 min so we've got a little bit of a side bet lol
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    Me and a buddy watched the HPF install video and he said it looks like a VERY install compared to the Fords he normally works on at the dealership. He said he could get the trans out in under 45 min so we've got a little bit of a side bet lol
    I keep telling people its absolute max 3hrs to change out the clutch on this car
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

UPDATE: Clutch went in yesterday and i'm in the process of breaking it in. As far as install goes, 3-4 hours should be the average time for the first timer with a buddy to help out. Keep in mind i've only got 30 miles on the clutch so likely things will change so i'll do my best to keep this updated.

A couple things to note as far as install goes:
    1) if using an aftermarket flywheel you will have to remove the bearing carrier from the the OEM DMFW to mount the bearing snout to the new flywheel. The SPEC instructions mention using a rubber mallet to accomplish this, however that will not work. If you're DIYing this at the house it REQUIRES a press. Just keep that in mind.
    2) When removing one of the aluminum bell housing bolts the bolt became jammed and severely damaged the threads in the engine block. Fortunately, it was only the first couple threads so we used a drill bit to counter sink the hole and ran a thread chaser down it to be sure the remaing threads were fine and the new bolt torqued just fine. I haven't seen anyone mention anything like this, so i'm guess i was just unlucky. However, it's just something to keebe aware of and be prepared for.

As far as the SPEC stage 3+ clutch, pressure plate and flywheel go:
    1) The clutch pedal is a lot stiffer but it communicates clutch feel MUCH better. It is very grabby, however i'm sure that will disappear as i start to put miles on it.
    2) The clutch feels substantially more solid than the OE unit. Just driving around town the car has a much more solid feel when accelerating.
    3) The SPEC steel flywheel is a vast improvement over the OEM DMFW. I didn't expect much of a difference in the way the engine revved, but it is a pretty big difference IMHO. It is much easier to rev match shifts and it even makes shifting without using the clutch pedal much easier.

NVH: 1) There is some clutch rattle present when cold. However, once the car gets to to temp it quites down nicely. With the windows down and radio off you can hear it slightly when sitting at a stop light with the clutch pedal released. However, with the radio on normal volume i can't hear it at all.
    2) There is some grating noise in the very low RPM range(1K-1.3K) which is what i suspect the DMFW was used to help eliminate, but it's hard to hear unless you're listening for it.

Am i happy with it?: $#@! YES. The clutch is stiffer and grabbier but overall much more enjoyable to operate and it feels SO solid i can't wait to get break in over with and throw the boost at it.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sounds like its working out great for you other than a tiny install snafu. Keep us updated for sure. Make sure to do lots of downshifting and city driving. Highway miles don't count towards break-in..300 miles minimum
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    90% of my driving is country roads and city so I don't really have to worry about highway miles interfering and I'm going to do my best to do the full 500 mile break in period. It won't be easy though lol a kid in a 300zx was messing with me today and there was nothing i could do about it lmao
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What is the main cause of the chatter? Is it the reduced flywheel inertia or is it the fact that it is single mass?

Another question because I am a complete newbie at this. Does the 335i use the same 6 speed as the E60 M5? Could an F10 M5 oem clutch and flywheel be used? Don't laugh too hard. I'm guessing the answer is "no, it doesn't fit."

I need to replace my clutch and I've been looking at getting a Spec stage 2+, but the flywheel questions are keeping me uncertain.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Rader1 if ur giving us good feedback now without the clutch being broke-in I'm sure things will get even better. So there is a difference in rev!? That's what I like to hear! Noises on new clutch set-ups usually are the worst when first installed so if it continues to make u happy, we have a winner! Lol!thanx again for the update!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm 90% sure the chatter is the throw out bearing. The stock unit has a plastic case where as the SPEC unit is all steel. At least, that's what I'm thinking because it disappears when the clutch pedal is depressed. The single mass just transmits the noise better than the DMFW.

I'm pretty sure the transmissions are different, but i've never looked into it.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Rader1 if ur giving us good feedback now without the clutch being broke-in I'm sure things will get even better. So there is a difference in rev!? That's what I like to hear! Noises on new clutch set-ups usually are the worst when first installed so if it continues to make u happy, we have a winner! Lol!thanx again for the update!
    It's hard to exactly quantify the difference in how much faster it revs. The best description I can give is that when I first tried rev matching after swapping is that I was overshooting the correct RPM by 3-400 RPMs. So it definitely revs quicker, it's not a HUGE difference but it is enough that you will have to learn to spend some time learning to drive it again.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I wondered if the steel flywheel had enough weight taken off to notice any difference. So your experience is helping me for sure. I've done the aluminum flywheels on other platforms and liked them but also felt that maybe to much weight had been shaved. Pros and cons to everything!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So,

did my Clutch install today.
    Mine does not fit.

Install went good until we tried it.

The Clutch is not releasing. so if the engine is running and I want to put in a gear its not possible. If I start the engine with lets say 1st gear and I push down the clutch its not separating.

The TO Bearing and this lever is pressed against the pressure plate. but it seams that the Slave Cylinder is not able to push the TO Bearing until the clutch releases.

The Clutch disk is installed correctly, I think there is no other way because of the Steel SMFW.
    Steel SMFW was not difficult to install, seams to fit very well.

Any tips?
    BMW 335i xDrive MT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Contact Spec if it isn't fitting. I like my Stage 3+ a lot. It is still grabby sometimes, but I haven't had a chance to really beat on it. To be honest I only use first gear in traffic and around the city if I want to go slow now. Usually I am starting in second gear. The clutch is strong and seems to not mind it one bit. Better launches in 2nd gear for sure since the AD08s can just barely hook that down low and slip it up top. First gear is useless.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Did you have to break loose any clutch lines? Are there any leaks?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I did contact Spec.

They say its strange because pedal feel and pressure is ok. Release Bearing is moving.

Clutch disk is correct installed because with Steel SMFW its not possible to install it incorrect.
    Is it possible that we torqued the screws from pressure plate to flywheel to much?

And if the Release Beraing would be to short the clutch would not grab at all.

So they said remove tranny and measure.

I removed the CDV, could that have anything to do with that? Maybe the slave cylinder does not get enough pressure because of that?

@rader1:
    yes we changed the CDV. But we did the bleeding twice.
    BMW 335i xDrive MT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm sure you've already done this, but I would make SURE there are no leaks anywhere when pressing the pedal down.

It's strange because there's not a whole that could be going on. There's no adjustments to be made and the install itself is straight forward. What did you torque the pressure plate to flywheel mounting bolts to?

I hopeyou can get this sorted out quickly.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    We used 30nm.

There is no spacing between the pressure plate and the SMFW if you know what I mean. Were the bolts are located.

We also looked out for the three bolts you have to align that you can install the pp.

We removed the slave cylinder and looked if there is a lot of room to move the Release Bearing but its pressed against the pressure plate. So that should be alright.

Also if I press the pedal and you listen closely you can hear the parts moving from back to front.
    Pedal feels normal, a little harder than before but not much.
    BMW 335i xDrive MT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I hate to ask, but is there a mechanical difference regarding the XI transmission?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My mech says until the Transfercase starts its the same Tranny.
    So Release Bearing, Clutch, Pressure Plate, DMFW and so on is the same. Partnumbers as well.
    BMW 335i xDrive MT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I just read in TIS about bleeding and connecting the Slavecylinder.
    Maybe we did something wrong there. It seems there is a specially procedure when the Slavecylinder is made of plastic.
    BMW 335i xDrive MT

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast