Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great thread and pics, props for doing it yourself.

This kit seems to make the most sense on manual cars.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TCW Click here to enlarge
    Haha yeah I hope to have myself a nice garage with a lift at some point... but until then it will be a floor-jack, some bricks, and ingenuity.
    +Rep for that!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great Thread, quick question looks like that airfilter is burried alive. Is it accesable after install was complete. Just curious?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Blue24 Click here to enlarge
    Great Thread, quick question looks like that airfilter is burried alive. Is it accesable after install was complete. Just curious?
    No, not easily anyways. I tightened it from below, so the hose clamp holding it there is oriented that way. Otherwise it might be accessible from above. Hard to say though without it in front of me. I will check it out tomorrow.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335Coupe Click here to enlarge
    It will do it on the dyno. The other guy (whose car doesn't always misfire on the road) dyno'd his while he was here in Orlando and his car misfired everytime on the dyno. That was the first time we really verified that his car would do it too. If it was me, I'd save your money and wait til you install the SMFW and clutch.
    All who had the problem with the stock fw have gone with aluminum smfw correct? Not steel? Aluminum could be a safer bet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    All who had the problem with the stock fw have gone with aluminum smfw correct? Not steel? Aluminum could be a safer bet.
    The problem with the DMFW was the springs maxing out. Any SMFW will alleviate this. Also a couple of people have posted positive results with the steel SMFW, with less chatter.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The problem with the DMFW was the springs maxing out. Any SMFW will alleviate this. Also a couple of people have posted positive results with the steel SMFW, with less chatter.
    Those guys must be idling rather than driving Click here to enlarge
    Aluminum is lighter. It is a subjective decision though and depends on what a person prefers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Why do you figure that the aluminum SMFW is a safer bet? Even the steel one is lighter than the factory DMFW.

Neil

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MDORPHN Click here to enlarge
    Why do you figure that the aluminum SMFW is a safer bet? Even the steel one is lighter than the factory DMFW.

Neil
    I believe aluminum has been the fix in all the cases and steel should fix it as well. There is just a slight difference between what should work and what has worked. No biggie. Steel is close to stock weight, so those who want to go for a light fwy should pick aluminum as long as they are ok with the slight chatter.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I believe aluminum has been the fix in all the cases and steel should fix it as well. There is just a slight difference between what should work and what has worked. No biggie. Steel is close to stock weight, so those who want to go for a light fwy should pick aluminum as long as they are ok with the slight chatter.
    Don't believe that the fix has anything to do with the material, but simply that it is single -- as opposed to double -- mass.

Neil

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MDORPHN Click here to enlarge
    Don't believe that the fix has anything to do with the material, but simply that it is single -- as opposed to double -- mass.

Neil
    I believe that as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I believe that as well.
    Great. Glad you've come around to the conclusion that the aluminum single mass fly wheel is not "a safer bet" than the steel version ;-)

Neil

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No, not easily anyways. I tightened it from below, so the hose clamp holding it there is oriented that way. Otherwise it might be accessible from above. Hard to say though without it in front of me. I will check it out tomorrow.

Yea figured that. One day of torture to change or clean it is still worth it! Good luck with it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    verdict is still out on if flywheels are the misfire culprit as noone has provided proof anything is fixed other than saying its fixed by the same people that did not come forth with the problem in the first place.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    verdict is still out on if flywheels are the misfire culprit as noone has provided proof anything is fixed other than saying its fixed by the same people that did not come forth with the problem in the first place.
    Just a note here. My misfires have miraculously disappeared now. I've been running with misfire detection ON. New NGKs at 0.022" gap and Vargas' prototype turbos running more power and boost than before. It used to misfire at 6-6.5k rpm running about 15psi in that high area. Nothing else changed. Weird I tell ya. My car chronically misfired before.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Just a note here. My misfires have miraculously disappeared now. I've been running with misfire detection ON. New NGKs at 0.022" gap and Vargas' prototype turbos running more power and boost than before. It used to misfire at 6-6.5k rpm running about 15psi in that high area. Nothing else changed. Weird I tell ya. My car chronically misfired before.
    Perhaps something got changed, wiggled during the turbo upgrade?
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 2100+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    Perhaps something got changed, wiggled during the turbo upgrade?
    Nope nothing that I can think of.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Nope nothing that I can think of.
    baloney! You wiggled all kinds of stuff lol
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 2100+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    My car has never misfired once after the SMFW install (100s of pulls), and misfire every single time prior to the SMFW install. It definitely corrected the problem. Whether it was the true root cause or alleviated the root cause can't be confirmed though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    the guy in SOFLA who has a single doens't get the misfires that much either. Sometimes he does, most of the time he doesn't. The biggest difference between his car and mine, is that his is a lot newer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    have you had a chance to get a good WOT pull yet?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Care to elaborate on how much power you are talking about? Click here to enlarge
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    like i said, nothing other than words..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335Coupe Click here to enlarge
    have you had a chance to get a good WOT pull yet?
    Finished the meth wiring today. DME should arrive tomorrow or Thursday. Then we will see.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Blue24 Click here to enlarge
    Took some pictures from the top of the air filter. It looks like if I remove the pipe between the intercooler and turbo, then it can be reached.

Updated Pictures:
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge