Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

M3 3rd gear DataLogs

Hi guys,
    I just picked up the BMW Datalogger Software. Here are some 3rd gear data logs I did. 2008 e90 m3, 6mt, all stock. 91oct gas M mode activated.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Coming from a 335, datalogging is pretty common. I am pleasantly surprised that the IAT remained very stable thru the runs (NA FTW).

One question I do have is regard the IGN. I'm not very familiar with how the m3 IGN is suppose to be but is this normal? I see a couple timing drops and the timing seems to reduce around 6000rpm range and then pick back up towards redline?

Let me know.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Very nice. I hope more datalogging is performed on these engines!

Of course the IAT will always be incredibly stable on an NA car with such a brilliant intake system.

Your ignition timing is around 4-6 degrees off the target.

Here is the ignition timing table for full throttle (target)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @elim11 I'm glad you're enjoying the BMWLogger software! Very nice and clean graphs!

Do you recall what the ambient temps were doing those runs? I'd be very curious to see how they compare to your IATs.

I was going to comment on your ignition logs, but @evolve beat me to it with a fancy table and graph. You are a handful degrees off from target ignition. I don't recall what my logs were at on my otherwise stock E90 M3. I accidentally deleted my CSV file, so I may go out and do some better runs once the weather clears up a bit.

Definitely keep us posted as you collect more data. I hope this becomes a more common trend. I will be working with BimmerSoftware in hopefully finding a way to log AFRs as well Click here to enlarge
    2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My GermanBoost Build Thread
    2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by flipm3 Click here to enlarge
    @elim11 I'm glad you're enjoying the BMWLogger software! Very nice and clean graphs!

Do you recall what the ambient temps were doing those runs? I'd be very curious to see how they compare to your IATs.

I was going to comment on your ignition logs, but @evolve beat me to it with a fancy table and graph. You are a handful degrees off from target ignition. I don't recall what my logs were at on my otherwise stock E90 M3. I accidentally deleted my CSV file, so I may go out and do some better runs once the weather clears up a bit.

Definitely keep us posted as you collect more data. I hope this becomes a more common trend. I will be working with BimmerSoftware in hopefully finding a way to log AFRs as well Click here to enlarge
    Thanks, I hope we can get the AFR. I am running on crappy 91 oct, so that may be why I am not hitting ideal timing. Curious to see datalogs of other stock m3s and tuned m3. To see what the differences are.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by evolve Click here to enlarge

Of course the IAT will always be incredibly stable on an NA car with such a brilliant intake system.

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...6ff5f1_b-1.jpg
    Thanks Evolve. Do you know what that 4-6 degrees of timing is worth, in terms of HP? And what is your take on the several instances of timing drops (~2-3 degrees) during the pull?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    great info. ive done some logging. I think the new s/w that came out will be incredibly useful for doing this and more will join in

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by elim11 Click here to enlarge
    Coming from a 335, datalogging is pretty common.
    Yep, not really commonplace with the S65 guys yet.

Thanks for the logs.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by elim11 Click here to enlarge
    I'm not very familiar with how the m3 IGN is suppose to be but is this normal? I see a couple timing drops and the timing seems to reduce around 6000rpm range and then pick back up towards redline?
    Try higher octane fuel and see if it happens again...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by evolve Click here to enlarge

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...6ff5f1_b-1.jpg
    Well, this is very helpful.

Thank you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Yep, not really commonplace with the S65 guys yet.

Thanks for the logs.

Try higher octane fuel and see if it happens again...
    Yeap. I will try different brand fuels (I used 76 fuel for these logs) and perhaps move to some race gas mix to see how the logs look. Will post with updates.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Update:
    Just an update with another datalog from today. 61F ambient, same road. Switched up the gas this time from 76 (91 oct) to Shell (91 oct). Gas did not make that much of a difference. I'll try again with another brand (probably Chevron) and then move my way up to race gas to see differences.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Any update on this OP? I just logged a bunch in the 100 degree AZ weather and with 91 was hitting 30 degrees virtually across the board. Given you temps were way cooler and your IAT's are way cooler than mine I have a feeling your spark plugs may need changing or something other than octane is off. In cooler weather like 80 degrees I hit the 32 degrees across the board with 91. Something is off there.

you are about 5-7 degrees throughout the powerband and are looking at a solid 20 hp loss which is not insignificant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wannbm5 Click here to enlarge
    Any update on this OP? I just logged a bunch in the 100 degree AZ weather and with 91 was hitting 30 degrees virtually across the board. Given you temps were way cooler and your IAT's are way cooler than mine I have a feeling your spark plugs may need changing or something other than octane is off. In cooler weather like 80 degrees I hit the 32 degrees across the board with 91. Something is off there.

you are about 5-7 degrees throughout the powerband and are looking at a solid 20 hp loss which is not insignificant
    interesting, got a log? 91 octane and 32* ? must have some killer tune there. love to see data from a brilliant person

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Whoa! Hitting 32 with 91oct in fairly warm weather! Is your car tuned? Maybe you got some awesome gas out there too!

Here are my logs on the DynoJet using the DynoJet DataLink Module.
    100% Stock + DCT
    4th Gear
    Shell VPower 93Octane
    IATs were controlled within a few degrees of ambient temperature

SAE with AFR
    Click here to enlarge

SAE with Conditions
    Click here to enlarge

SAE with Ignition Targets (31 near redline)
    Click here to enlarge
    2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My GermanBoost Build Thread
    2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by flipm3 Click here to enlarge
    Whoa! Hitting 32 with 91oct in fairly warm weather! Is your car tuned? Maybe you got some awesome gas out there too!

Here are my logs on the DynoJet using the DynoJet DataLink Module.
    100% Stock + DCT
    4th Gear
    Shell VPower 93Octane
    IATs were controlled within a few degrees of ambient temperature
    yea.. found it to be very suprising as well to have maxed out timing, on 91 octane and such high ambient+IATs.. curious what he was logging with as well

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sure-I never graph them from the excel sheets since I did not figure out how so this is an excel sheet with an IAT almost the same as the OP. My BT tool measures in Celcius so converted IAT's are 75ish which is close to the OP. If someone can convert to a graph great.

Also LM, you continue to show severe lack of knowledge! A tune is IRRELEVENT to hitting a higher timing target if other variables are the same. Tunes still use the safety and knock mechanisms to pull timing accordingly. A tune and I have one allows you to hit higher than 32 degrees and will hit 34 degrees up top ONLY if conditions allows it. A tune will not force timing higher at set IAT's, octane/ knock recording etc. So a tune is of no concern here. If we were comparing maximum timing between two people. One of which is hitting 32 degrees and I was hitting 34 degrees than of course a tune is relevent. But at anything under maximum stock timing of 32, the tune does nothing to force timing.

I see you cannot upload a small excel file. If someone can tell me how to convert to a nice graph as I am useless at word processing or excel, I am happy to convert it and post it up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    forgot to mention I am catless and have a AA drop in filter. That probably makes the engine to use 2 degrees more timing than if not catless (OEM primaries on) given the catless and drop in/intake allow the engine to reduce pumping losses, and produce a more efficient burn with faster burn secondary to fast scavenging.

However I have played around with changing plugs often and there is a few degrees easy difference after 10k on the plugs. The knock system is REALLY sensitive which is great as it rides the max timing well if it can but any bit of knock and it pulls quote a lot. The plugs when even a bit old can start having any deposits on the tips which interferes directly with how the ionic knock measures resistance in the cylinder enviorment. So I would swap plugs, go catless or HFC and put a drop in filter and at 80 degrees or less you should be golden on 91. Agove 80 I go with 94

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sure-I never graph them from the excel sheets since I did not figure out how so this is an excel sheet with an IAT almost the same as the OP. My BT tool measures in Celcius so converted IAT's are 75ish which is close to the OP. If someone can convert to a graph great.

Also LM, you continue to show severe lack of knowledge! A tune is IRRELEVENT to hitting a higher timing target if other variables are the same. Tunes still use the safety and knock mechanisms to pull timing accordingly. A tune and I have one allows you to hit higher than 32 degrees and will hit 34 degrees up top ONLY if conditions allows it. A tune will not force timing higher at set IAT's, octane/ knock recording etc. So a tune is of no concern here. If we were comparing maximum timing between two people. One of which is hitting 32 degrees and I was hitting 34 degrees than of course a tune is relevent. But at anything under maximum stock timing of 32, the tune does nothing to force timing.

I see you cannot upload a small excel file. If someone can tell me how to convert to a nice graph as I am useless at word processing or excel, I am happy to convert it and post it up.
    you should think before you write, by definition, a tune can do all of that, if its designed to..

regardless, your making outrageous claims about what your car is doing, in bad conditions, and running, literally, hotter than others that have the factory safeties/algorithms in place..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    a tune can do anything but if you knew anything about all of the ones used-ESS, Benvo, AA, evolve. Only 1 or 2 actually even adjust target timing by a degree or two by simply adjusting the target tables. THe target tables still have the same criteria in order to meet them which is needing no knock or else timing is pulled. Nobody in this day and age forces timing in road applications as modern knock sensors will pull it back and essentially it does not work. You have to remove knock sensing to push timing beyond what is normally picked up on knock.

So essentially you can now add that you do not know how tuning in general works to the growing list of car-related topics you have no clue about.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    a tune can do anything but if you knew anything about all of the ones used-ESS, Benvo, AA, evolve. Only 1 or 2 actually even adjust target timing by a degree or two by simply adjusting the target tables. THe target tables still have the same criteria in order to meet them which is needing no knock or else timing is pulled. Nobody in this day and age forces timing in road applications as modern knock sensors will pull it back and essentially it does not work. You have to remove knock sensing to push timing beyond what is normally picked up on knock.

So essentially you can now add that you do not know how tuning in general works to the growing list of car-related topics you have no clue about.

stilling waiting on those logs you have sticky, i mean newb, i mean, new guy that says he knows everything yet shows nothing.. i mean, guy that proved our point that noone should be hitting those targets in those conditions, unless they are lying, about A. hitting those targets B. conditions C. have a tune forcing it

so uh, wannbm5ore intelligent next time?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Seems that your car is running too much ignition retard. The factory ignition aim is 32 degrees at redline. If you are barely hitting 25 it's likely due to mediocre fuel, aging plugs, or harsh environmental conditions.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    still no logs..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    still no logs.. this is what happens when you feed the trololololol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    still no logs.. this is what happens when you feed the trololololol
    You're just trolling him right now. You are really becoming a negative presence. Just let it go and try to find a common ground.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ya, when he posts a log like he said he would, since he has it

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    ya, when he posts a log like he said he would, since he has it
    If he does or he doesn't you don't have to be a douchebag about it.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast