Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Misfire problems...need HELP

So my car is at my shop to install RB Turbos. Prior to the install I've had a few issues (no boost for a month and then blue smoke). Sure enough one stock turbo was toast. Putting in RBs solved these problems. Car pulled strong during road tests (shop did not wind the engine up above 4000rpms).

So far so good. But now there are misfires. When accelerating from 2500rpm in 4th gear the engine will misfire before 4000rpm.

It started with cyl. 6. The shop moved the spark plug to cyl 3 and the misfire followed. So that spark plug is definitely damaged. Then they switched injectors 6 and 1, and misfires occured in cylinders 6 and 1!! WTF??

They will now code the injectors but I doubt that will help as the misfires are not in high rpms.

Next they do a compression check on the engine.

Any idea what's going on??

For what it's worth, I installed a COBB before the car went to the shop with OTS Stage 2+ maps. When I get the car back it will be custom tuned for the RBs.
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    when i started to have chronic cylinder 5 missfire turned out i had half compression on cylinder 5.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    when i started to have chronic cylinder 5 missfire turned out i had half compression on cylinder 5.
    Did you decide to replace the engine?

If it turns out the engine is toast I will NOT be amused. Goddamnit!
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    How did you fix that?

OP. Check coil packs, I know you said "plugs" but the typical route to fix misfires is, New plugs, New coil packs, new injectors.

Best of luck!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They need to follow a basic diagnostic tree. Also wouldn't hurt to log the runs to make sure it is not an issue related to a degraded low pressure fuel pump or bad fuel pressure sensor, etc. Obviously this will be an issue, as i doubt the garage is familiar with Cobb and how to datalog the information and look for signs of an issue.

1. Do a run, note which cylinder(s) misfired.
    2. Swap coils from misfiring cylinder(s) to an adjacent cylinder; check to see if the misfire followed the coil on the next drive.
    3. If misfires stay on the original cylinder(s), replace the spark plugs. If they followed the coil(s), replace the coils.

If you are still having misfires, its a gamble at this point. Assuming the compression check comes back good, it could be a number of issues; DME on its way out, a bad ground for the ignition system, a bad injector, a worn DMFW if your car is manual.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    They need to follow a basic diagnostic tree. Also wouldn't hurt to log the runs to make sure it is not an issue related to a degraded low pressure fuel pump or bad fuel pressure sensor, etc. Obviously this will be an issue, as i doubt the garage is familiar with Cobb and how to datalog the information and look for signs of an issue.

1. Do a run, note which cylinder(s) misfired.
    2. Swap coils from misfiring cylinder(s) to an adjacent cylinder; check to see if the misfire followed the coil on the next drive.
    3. If misfires stay on the original cylinder(s), replace the spark plugs. If they followed the coil(s), replace the coils.

If you are still having misfires, its a gamble at this point. Assuming the compression check comes back good, it could be a number of issues; DME on its way out, a bad ground for the ignition system, a bad injector, a worn DMFW if your car is manual.
    Yes the shop did a bit of testing with swapping plugs and injectors. Maybe a coil is on the way out too, but I changed those 2 years ago. Coils are 1 year old. I did around 10k miles per year.

I hope the compression check comes out good.

They can't do logs as I have the COBB AP here at home. And they're almost 200 miles away. Not many competent shops close around me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The coils are $#@!. I had one literally FAIL out of the blue on me the other day. Engine wasn't under load, never had any misfire issues prior, crusing down the street at 45mph, BAM misfire cylinder #5. Clear the code with the AP, just keeps coming back. Limp the car home running on 5 cylinders and sounding like a jalopy, not the kind of attention i enjoy getting at stop lights...
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I thought swapping injectors without coding is a bad idea?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So compression test was ok!! Damn, that's a relief. The shop thinks it should be fixed then by replacing an injector, plug and coil.

Apparently my last shop put in NGK plugs. Not sure if these are better than the OEM Bosch type. Opinions?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DallasBoosted Click here to enlarge
    I thought swapping injectors without coding is a bad idea?
    It's ok for testing but for full performance they have to be coded in. In my case the misfires occured at low rpms.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So why did they move the injectors from 6 to 1 if the misfire was already tracked down to the plugs?

You can't just move injectors, you have to code them. The car will misfire. I would personally leave that shop to be honest. The heck are they thinking?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    So why did they move the injectors from 6 to 1 if the misfire was already tracked down to the plugs?

You can't just move injectors, you have to code them. The car will misfire. I would personally leave that shop to be honest. The heck are they thinking?
    Well they are the only shop in 500km range which can tackle an RB install Click here to enlarge They will code the injector.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would guess its a coil pack before an injector.

I would replace all the plugs and all the coil packs. AT THE SAME TIME.

Goodluck sir.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Well they are the only shop in 500km range which can tackle an RB install Click here to enlarge They will code the injector.
    Ok, take care of that first. Don't play along with their troubleshooting and compression testing let alone engine swapping Click here to enlarge

Why code the injectors? Just put them back how they were..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Ok, take care of that first. Don't play along with their troubleshooting and compression testing let alone engine swapping Click here to enlarge

Why code the injectors? Just put them back how they were..
    The injector in cylinder 6 needs to be replaced. Unfortunately it's not in stock at BMW Belgium and has to be sent from Germany. So far so good. If all works out fine I can get the car back Saturday next week. And finally get the custom PTF tune Click here to enlarge

Man, it's been over 4 months since the car last ran perfectly. Really missed the lovely N54 roaring!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm still a bit confused. When they moved the plug from 6 to 3 the misfire followed to cyl3. Replacing the plug should've fixed it. Did it misfire again on 6 after that and they decided to try switching injectors around? I don't get why they moved injectors.

Also, when they pulled the injectors out (other than re-coding) they're supposed to change the sealing ring at the injector tip before reinserting. Not changing it can cause the cylinder to not keep compression when the engine is running. They're one time use. Also, make sure they've put the metal circular clips at the base of injectors back on.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm still a bit confused. When they moved the plug from 6 to 3 the misfire followed to cyl3. Replacing the plug should've fixed it. Did it misfire again on 6 after that and they decided to try switching injectors around? I don't get why they moved injectors.

Also, when they pulled the injectors out (other than re-coding) they're supposed to change the sealing ring at the injector tip before reinserting. Not changing it can cause the cylinder to not keep compression when the engine is running. They're one time use. Also, make sure they've put the metal circular clips at the base of injectors back on.
    Yes it continued to misfire in cylinder 6. They had ordered the O-ring yesterday before they started swapping the injector.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So compression test was ok!! Damn, that's a relief.
    Well that's a pretty big piece of good news.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Well that's a pretty big piece of good news.
    Indeed! What's more, BMW changed the injector version recently and the old ones aren't available anymore. The new and old revisions can't be mixed on one engine.So this means that if one injector fails, BMW forces you to buy 6 new injectors at 200 EUR a piece (the old ones were prices 10 EUR each)!! Luckily I was able to source and old injector, otherwise I'd have to pay over 1200 EUR just because BMW can't get things done right from the start, once again. Sometimes owning a 335i makes you feel like a beta tester!! How many revisions did the HPFP go through? Then we have three different injector versions by now. Not even talking about the continuous DME updates. Damn!! Well I should be able to pick up the car on Saturday unless another problem pops up. But I stay confident. FINALLY RB power for me! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
    How did you fix that?

OP. Check coil packs, I know you said "plugs" but the typical route to fix misfires is, New plugs, New coil packs, new injectors.

Best of luck!
    second hand engine.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sometimes owning a 335i makes you feel like a beta tester!!
    We are. The N54 was kind of a test to see how the market would react to FI. Also they wanted to shake down the FI system before putting it in the M3. It's often said you should not buy the first generation of any kind of technology.

Good luck.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    6 new injectors at 200 EUR a piece (the old ones were prices 10 EUR each)!!
    I don' understand, why such a big price difference?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I don' understand, why such a big price difference?
    Oh, typo. Should be 100 EUR for the old ones. The price had gone done for those over the past years. Hopefully the newest injectors will follow the same path. I've got the feeling I'll need them at some point... Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oh, typo. Should be 100 EUR for the old ones. The price had gone done for those over the past years. Hopefully the newest injectors will follow the same path. I've got the feeling I'll need them at some point... Click here to enlarge
    That's better but still a big difference.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Injector has been replaced and misfires persist. This time in 3 other cylinders!! GODDAMNIT!!!

There are apparently no other codes, just the misfire related ones. Could it be due to the fact that I have not yet loaded the custom maps for the RB Turbos with the COBB AP?

I'm starting to lose the faith here...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast