Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Turbo Noise Phantom Siren - Questions

Don't jump to any conclusions here! Just want everyone opinion. Click here to enlarge

Background:
    I was stock up until about 9kmiles, then added JB+ at 75% and AFE intake until about 19kmiles. Then got the JB3 2.0 and dropin filter. I daily MAP3 and push my car almost every day. I change my oil every 3k miles. I've only been on MAP5 3 times and only done 10 or less pulls with it. Other tidbits, I have the BT cable and only run 93oct.

Stock I don't hear anything and everything sounds ok. MAP3 *sometimes* it seems like I hear a phantom turbo noise siren. Currently have a bit over 22k miles. I can't reproduce it consistently. You have to really listen for it and it isn't always there. I'm not sure if its in my head or it's actually there. I don't even think it would be possible to catch on a sound recording. It is no where near as loud as the videos people post. It does it some on a cold start if you rev it some, after it's warmed up it doesn't do it reving in neutral. When I hear the phantom sounds, the engine is warmed up, but I can't always reproduce it.

And no, this isn't the normal default high pitch whine that we all have stock!

Questions:
    I read that it's normal for these and some people develop this noise stock. Should I be worried / concerned? The second question, since I *think* I'm hearing this off and on, would I be crazy to daily MAP5 from here on out?

Thanks for everyone's time!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Hello and welcome.

One thing, it isn't necessary to change the oil every 3000 miles. That is wasting money, synthetic oils today can handle harsh environments. The general concensus is to change the oil in between dealer visits, or every 6500 miles, whichever comes first.

One more thing, don't rev a cold motor in neutral.

It's hard to understand what is causing the noise... It could just be the turbochargers themselves.

Map 5 is perfectly fine for a stock car on 93 octane.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the quick reply DBFIU. I've been lurking here for a while now and thought this site would be the best for unbiased replies!Click here to enlarge

I've always changed my cars oil at 3k miles and will continue to do so if they are high performance cars. This has always worked for me and my other car I had never once had engine trouble. Change the oil the first 1k miles, then ~3k there after. I've only taken my car to the dealer once and it was for HPFP, low pressure sensor, updated software and a couple other little things. That's the only time I've gotten their free oil change.

When I mean rev when it's cold, I'm talking no more than 2k rpms. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Oh ok Click here to enlarge

I thought you were pegging it off the limiter after a cold start, I keed I keed.

Changing the oil early definately doesnt hurt. If you have the resources to do that than it's great peice of mind.

The HPFP is a known problem on these engines. I've had one replaced too.

As for the phantom whine, can you be more specific when it happens, and what it sounds like?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    It sounds just like the turbo siren people post, but a lot quieter! This is NOT my video. I think it is hotrods. Mine sounds about 1/10 this loud if that and only when I'm not looking to hear it. If I try to hear it, then it doesn't make the sound!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oh wow that is freaky.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Oh wow that is freaky.
    It's no where near that loud and not constant. I know it wouldn't pick up on a recorder and I would have to drive around all day to eventually hear it (maybe not all day, just random). So, I'm not really sure what to think! That's why I called it a phantom siren, haha.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have the same issue. Not loud enough to pick up on recording most likely, and some passengers can't hear it when I ask. But I first noticed it when I installed intake and exhaust, and now I noticed it has gotten louder with my catless DP.

IMO the noise is normal to some degree. For it to be as prominent as the noise in that video, however, would make me get it checked out. For now, I'm just keeping an eye on it.
    2008 E92 MT | VTT Stage 2+ 20T | VTT Inlets | JB4 MHD E85 | Fuel-It Stage 3 LPFP w/FPR and Return | BMS PI | AR DP | AE Quad Exhaust | Helix FMIC | ER CP | Tial BOV | DCI | AR OCC | Spec Stage 3+ | SMFW

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

the noise is normal, its just the turbo's spooling. It louder with the more bolt-ons you have, IE intake/DP's. If its intermittent and not reproduceable, then its nothing to worry about because failing turbo's would be a constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    the noise is normal, its just the turbo's spooling. It louder with the more bolt-ons you have, IE intake/DP's. If its intermittent and not reproduceable, then its nothing to worry about because failing turbo's would be a constant
    Thanks LostMarine! I've been reading that it's normal to a degree. I can't reproduce it when I want too and it could go days without doing it again (even if driving hard).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Failing turbos will also produce white smoke.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    2008 E90 335xi - AT - TSM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You have to remember that map3 has lagfix and will close the wastegates will cruising to be building boost faster when you get on it. The noise you are describing sounds like that is all it is, go to the stock or other non-lagfix maps and see if it goes away.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Irishace Click here to enlarge
    Failing turbos will also produce white smoke.

thats only if the seals have gone bad, and those 2 symptoms do not go hand-in-hand. As in, mine never whined, but they did start smoking (stock, not RB)