Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Cool First Track Videos of the Year - PBIR 20130126

Yesterday (1/26/2013) was a blast, I was dying to get back out there. The day finally came, and here's a quick view of it.

About the car and the new parts, as expected, she is a bit oversteer hungry. Is it out of control? Is it random and unpredictable? No and No. The car feels like it's sliding "in a good way", the entire body through the corner. As Purple put it, it skates on four wheels.

It is so nice to be coming in/out of a corner, and give it a bit of throttle, have the car just point where you want it to go. It is a bit loose, specially for this track, so I loosened up the suspension a bit, since all the corners are so round and flat.

The rear body roll though is almost completely gone (better springs/suspension) would do the trick, I think. I can definitely benefit from bigger rubber, which as soon as I can, will be getting some APEX 9.5" all around and running 275/35/18 RS-3's for quite some time.

This was my first time on RS-3s at the track, these tires are simply amazing for "street tires". They do get a bit greasy towards the end of sessions, but for 97% of they're really good.

The AIM Solo-DL is really a nice piece of equipment, so much data. Here's a picture of my fastest lap (blue line) and second fastest (green line). Look and see how every little piece of inconsistency makes up worlds of difference, every 10th counts.

Click here to enlarge

Not specifically my favorite track, but it's better than nothing. You'll notice that some of my lines are inconsistent, this is for the most part on purpose. Only my second time out to the track, and was trying to figure out the fastest/best path through. Specially on those wide rounded turns.

I was more than 3 seconds faster on street tires vs NT-01s the previous time.

Here's a video of the 4th session (2nd afternoon session). The only session I didn't screw up the downloading of Solo-DL data, it does contain my two fastest laps, but wish I had more data. I have all the laps, but no GPS positioning data, so cannot synchronize the data, it's my fault. Well now I know for next time. I also accidentally clicked the download and erase option, instead of download. So the Solo-DL is clear now.

When you download data from the DL there's multiple "test" profiles, only some of them download GPS information.

Highlights from the Day

Session 3 - No data at all for this session.

Video - 4th Session

This SLS AMG was Annoying for 3 Sessions before they left, you'll see when I post the rest of the videos. Not more annoying than a Porsche, you won't miss it, congo line!.

Click here to enlarge

Here's Session 5

For some reason, my GoPro decided not to record audio for the next two sessions. There's also no GPS positioning data, so was kinda of a pain to sync. I explained above how I screwed up the GPS data when downloaded from the AIM.

Session 6 - Open Track Session -- Again no sound (F*ck GoPro)

|| DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Cool videos man. What kind of suspension set up are you running on your 1? If you dont mind me asking? I wanna start working on my 135i's suspension next, before adding more power. Your car seems to handle great!!Only suspension mod I have so far is the APEX ARC 8 wheels, 8.5 front 9.5 rear running 235 in the front and 265 in the rear, that alone made a huge difference coming from the stock wheels.
    John 3:16

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leo985i Click here to enlarge
    Cool videos man. What kind of suspension set up are you running on your 1? If you dont mind me asking? I wanna start working on my 135i's suspension next, before adding more power. Your car seems to handle great!!Only suspension mod I have so far is the APEX ARC 8 wheels, 8.5 front 9.5 rear running 235 in the front and 265 in the rear, that alone made a huge difference coming from the stock wheels.
    Suspension wise I have,

KW V2 - Held up quite nicely so far
    M3 Front and Rear Sway
    Powerflex subframe bushings
    Wavetrac LSD with Stiffer bushings

In that video I'm running 255/40/17 RS-3 on Kosei K1. Plan on ordering a set o 9.5" EC-7 all around to fit 275/35/18 on all four corners. I have the ER front Wide body, so plenty of room for a 275 in there.
    || DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by yandyr Click here to enlarge
    Suspension wise I have,

KW V2 - Held up quite nicely so far
    M3 Front and Rear Sway
    Powerflex subframe bushings
    Wavetrac LSD with Stiffer bushings

In that video I'm running 255/40/17 RS-3 on Kosei K1. Plan on ordering a set o 9.5" EC-7 all around to fit 275/35/18 on all four corners. I have the ER front Wide body, so plenty of room for a 275 in there.
    Very simple, and seems to work wonders for you. How is the understeer? Would you say it's almost gone in comparison to stock. These cars understeer like crazy with the stock suspension. Also, where did you get the Wavetrac LSD? I understand it's a cheaper option than the Quaiffe so I'm thinking of going that route.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leo985i Click here to enlarge
    Very simple, and seems to work wonders for you. How is the understeer? Would you say it's almost gone in comparison to stock. These cars understeer like crazy with the stock suspension. Also, where did you get the Wavetrac LSD? I understand it's a cheaper option than the Quaiffe so I'm thinking of going that route.
    Forgot to mention I have the Vorshlag Camber plates (they do wonder).

Understeer's pretty much all gone, the only time the car really pushes out is because I exceeded the traction limits of the tires. But turn in is really great right now, trying to balance it out a bit more, it's a bit oversteer happy now with the stiffer rear.

I purchased my Wavetrac from ER (Evolution Racewerks), so far so good.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good deal man. Thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2087 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great vids and data!!! Nicely done.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yandyr, what brake setup do you use?
    And what brake pads for track use?
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Great vids and data!!! Nicely done.
    Thanks!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    Yandyr, what brake setup do you use?
    And what brake pads for track use?
    I have the stock calipers with the ECS 2-piece rotors front and Carbotech RP2 pads front, with Performance rotors and Carbotech XP12 rear pads. I don't change rear pads or rotors for the track, they're just a bit noise but that's all, they last forever.

Front rotors and pads are for track only, then swap out to normal daily setup.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Here's a video from last weeks event at Homestead 2/10/2013.

First Session

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2087 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by yandyr Click here to enlarge
    Here's a video from last weeks event at Homestead 2/10/2013.

First Session

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSHmSUpsJRM
    The tach overlay is so freaking cool...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The tach overlay is so freaking cool...
    Glad you like, I think it's pretty cool myself Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Are you heel toeing to match revs or just letting the clutch out ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
    Are you heel toeing to match revs or just letting the clutch out ?
    I heel/toe but, not perfect at it yet, sometimes, specifically 3rd to 2nd, I don't blip enough. But getting there, practice, practice, practice.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Cool videos. Better driver than I am Click here to enlarge
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK