Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Usefulness of intakes for turbo longevity

What is the usefulness of replacement intakes for these vehicles? Now, I am not talking horsepower gain, since I read that thread posted a while back which showed minimal difference with a tune with a change in intake. However, I was told that, while the turbos can still hit their boost targets on the stock intake, having a freer flowing intake makes the turbos work less to reach boost, and increase their longevity. Is there any truth to this statement?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Yes. The rule of thumb around here is anything beyond 15 PSIG will benefit from a freer flowing intake. Common upgrades are the BMS dual cone, Mr. 5 intake, and Injen.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Excellent. I have a DCI and just wanted to make sure that my thoughts were correct in getting it. I didn't want to excessively stress out the turbos which are already having to operate at around 17 psi right now. Every mod I'm doing right now is for power and longevity, which are directly at odds to begin with.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ferruccio Click here to enlarge
    Excellent. I have a DCI and just wanted to make sure that my thoughts were correct in getting it. I didn't want to excessively stress out the turbos which are already having to operate at around 17 psi right now. Every mod I'm doing right now is for power and longevity, which are directly at odds to begin with.
    Join the party. This is exactly why I am pursing preturbo meth.