Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

E92/E93 IX conversion?

I'm not a huge fan of AWD, I read that it may have been available on the 328 E92's, but whats stopping anyone from putting the Xdrive drivetrain on an E92? I'm curious whats different besides the transfercase and front suspension and TCU. I'm sure there are many E92/3 owners that wish they could get AWD.

We know that the 6hp19/21 transmission will mount up with the xdrive since it does so on the E90's, so my curiosity is getting the best of me here.

EDIT: I'm reading now that the 335i E92 came out with xdrive in 09. So now i'm REALLY wonder whats up with the E93 not getting it besides weight.
    Last edited by klipseracer; 02-26-2013 at 08:08 PM.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 1200+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

The conversion is done at the dealer. You bring your car in, give it to them, and they give you back an xi.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The conversion is done at the dealer. You bring your car in, give it to them, and they give you back an xi.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    I'm not a huge fan of AWD, I read that it may have been available on the 328 E92's, but whats stopping anyone from putting the Xdrive drivetrain on an E92? I'm curious whats different besides the transfercase and front suspension and TCU. I'm sure there are many E92/3 owners that wish they could get AWD.

We know that the 6hp19/21 transmission will mount up with the xdrive since it does so on the E90's, so my curiosity is getting the best of me here.

EDIT: I'm reading now that the 335i E92 came out with xdrive in 09. So now i'm REALLY wonder whats up with the E93 not getting it besides weight.
    You are nothing if not ambitious.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Cost.

If it's feasible at all. Besides mechanical parts you'll need all kind of electronics stuff ranging from TCU to DSC systems, ABS etc.
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

somewhat confused by your post. the xi/x-drive option came to the E92 (both 328 and 335) platform in late 07'. no need to do a conversion since there are a ton of them in the used market.

as for the e93 convertible not getting awd, it's most likely BMWs decision since there wouldn't be a market for it. not many people get the convertible to drive in the snow/cold climates.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

You'd be surprised how many people in CT and around NYC buy convertibles and drive them year round. Because of all of the $$$ around here, we buy so many expensive cars I often wondered if it wasn't a driver for OEMs moving to convertible hard-tops that can be driven year round.

I hear ya though. Doesn't seem to make much sense buying an AWD convertible. It'd be a 4500lb tank of a little car too with both AWD and hard drop top.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by danniexi Click here to enlarge
    somewhat confused by your post. the xi/x-drive option came to the E92 (both 328 and 335) platform in late 07'. no need to do a conversion since there are a ton of them in the used market.

as for the e93 convertible not getting awd, it's most likely BMWs decision since there wouldn't be a market for it. not many people get the convertible to drive in the snow/cold climates.
    I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure your badging convention is wrong. Its ix. Not xi. I thought I read somewhere that in 09 the E92 got AWD.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Cost.

If it's feasible at all. Besides mechanical parts you'll need all kind of electronics stuff ranging from TCU to DSC systems, ABS etc.
    Well the cost seems rhetorical at this point, obviously the cost is there. Just curious if there was any physical build differences that prohibit it from being possible or coding issues that prevent it from happening. I have the ability to pick parts out of a junk yard for peanuts if I were to call in the favor. DCT transmission is one of them, I was quoted a couple hundred bucks for one. And I can get a transfer case an some other things for pennies on the dollar. A man with lots of 'junk' is easily tempted to play around Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure your badging convention is wrong. Its ix. Not xi. I thought I read somewhere that in 09 the E92 got AWD.
    Nope, the car was released late 07'. I had my car (E92 335xi) built in late December of 07' and received it in early February 2008.

The "ix" nomenclature was of the older BMWs (E30 3er and E34 5er). Only after the E46 3er did the xi option come back (325xi, 330xi). The E90/E92 followed that tradition (325xi, 330xi, 328xi, 335xi). In 2010, BMW changed that name again with "x-drive", so all vehicles with AWD were named like its RWD couterparts (328i, 335i, etc.) with "x-drive" tagged after it.

I'm being pedantic, I know.

As for retrofitting, you would have to get an entire DME to bring everything together. The AWD system is heavily reliant on DSC, DTC, and whatever other acronym you can think of. Physically, yes, getting the parts wouldn't be too difficult (as I had said before, the used market is saturated with these cars, notably on the east coast), but the coding would be the extremely difficult since everything is linked to one another. Getting a DCT to mate with the AWD system probably would be nearly impossible, since BMW had never released an x-drive vehicle with a dual-clutch tranny (even the X5M/X6M use 6-speed automatics).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

xdrive naming convention started in MY 2009.

I can't believe anyone would consider this swap. In addition to the missing obvious big drive train and software/hardware pieces, the entire front suspension is different. The engine oil pan is different (diff is part of it and one shaft goes through it). Etc with all kinds of tiny unexpected stuff. If you happened to have a conveniently wrecked e92 xi AND a stripped e93 shell it might be fun one-off.

But my god man just buy one (used) of each and call it a day, probably cost less than the swap.

PS: I have an e92 2009 335i xdrive w/ AT. It is really heavy and I can't imagine what an e93 xdrive would weigh.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by danniexi Click here to enlarge
    Nope, the car was released late 07'. I had my car (E92 335xi) built in late December of 07' and received it in early February 2008.

The "ix" nomenclature was of the older BMWs (E30 3er and E34 5er). Only after the E46 3er did the xi option come back (325xi, 330xi). The E90/E92 followed that tradition (325xi, 330xi, 328xi, 335xi). In 2010, BMW changed that name again with "x-drive", so all vehicles with AWD were named like its RWD couterparts (328i, 335i, etc.) with "x-drive" tagged after it.
    Guess ya learn something new every day.

As for retrofitting, you would have to get an entire DME to bring everything together. The AWD system is heavily reliant on DSC, DTC, and whatever other acronym you can think of. Physically, yes, getting the parts wouldn't be too difficult (as I had said before, the used market is saturated with these cars, notably on the east coast), but the coding would be the extremely difficult since everything is linked to one another. Getting a DCT to mate with the AWD system probably would be nearly impossible, since BMW had never released an x-drive vehicle with a dual-clutch tranny (even the X5M/X6M use 6-speed automatics).
    I guess if you were looking for an E93 with the most weight, this would be the way to go lol. I assume weight was probably the main reason this never made production.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Guess ya learn something new every day.

I guess if you were looking for an E93 with the most weight, this would be the way to go lol. I assume weight was probably the main reason this never made production.
    The next gen 4-Series cab is rear wheel drive only for now too: http://bimmerboost.com/content.php?3...eel-drive-only

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The next gen 4-Series cab is rear wheel drive only for now too: http://bimmerboost.com/content.php?3...eel-drive-only
    Hmm. unless the F3X has gotten lighter I can't see them doing AWD without a power bump.
    Click here to enlarge