Close

West Los Angeles, California, United States
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

This mod or That mod: Vol I... Gintani Exhaust(Sport) vs. Akrapovic Exhaust

I thought this would be a helpful thread as many of us are stuck pondering the question: "Should I get this or that?!" Ponder no more as this should serve as an unbiased thread(hopefully batch of threads) to determine an opinion as a whole of what the board's consensus is on various popular modifications. Round 1 is for this pair of axle-back exhausts.

Abstract:
    These two exhausts are considered some of the best exhausts that you can buy for your E9X M3. The Gintani Sport is a very throaty, deep sounding axle-back system which enhances the sound of your V8 immensely. But this exhaust is not all bark and no show... Gintani advertises an 8-12 HP gain with this straight through design system which is conservative to say the least. Their exhaust comes in either Ceramic or Polished coating and can be had with dual walled exhaust tips a lá the next exhaust which is the Akrapovic. Akrapovic's exhaust amplifies and intensifies the sound of your V8 M3 into a refined beast. Though not as deep as the Gintani(or loud for that matter) Akrapovic strived to create one of the finest designed and effective exhaust products on the market and most say that they have done so. The aluminum exhaust comes with beautiful dual-walled tips which can be powdercoated or even carbon-fibred!

GintaniClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Videos:

Performance: 8-12 Horsepower gain per Gintani

Akrapovic
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Videos:

Price: Gintani's can be had for around 2k and Akrapovic's for 3k

If I have misreported any information then please feel free to correct me!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    As you stated, you can't go wrong with either.

Even Gintani likes the Akrapovic exhaust. For me, it comes down to money, and a 1k difference is a 1k difference.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Alex has said good thing about the akra when it was on my car, but I think most agree the sound is pretty boring, didn't inspire me at all. Never had the gintani but heard a few...sounded amazing. I loved the sound of my eisenmann, my eisenmann muffler sounded better than the full akra
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've had Akra, Eisenmann RACE, Gintani sport

honestly I like the Gintani sport at the end of the day cause of its aggressive sound and ceramic coated black effect. I also like the tips a lot because it reminds me of the GTR exhaust. just flat out BIG.

Akra is nice too but I do find it too quite sometimes. that was the main reason for me swapping out the Akra.

I would suggest a 4 resonator HFC Gintani sport.

or a bit louder 4 resonator cattless Gintani sport

or loud cattless Gintani sport

or insanely loud Gintani RACE
    Current: 964 WB, 993, Panamera Turbo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have the full Akrapovic system but I ran with just the slip-on for a few weeks while the dealership was updating my software. I can see how some people would say the slip-on is on the quiet side but that is how I like it but I didn't think it was boring. I have since installed the full system and it transformed the character of the car. I have to be careful driving through my neighborhood, I can't imagine how some of the other systems sound if the Akra is supposed to be the quietest. I prefer to do it right the first time, it saves money in the long run and the Akra is definitely the right choice for me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by armyav8tor Click here to enlarge
    I prefer to do it right the first time, it saves money in the long run and the Akra is definitely the right choice for me.
    I'm with armyav8tor. I feel just an axle-back system is not worth the cost unless it's a step along the way to the full system. You do get better looks and sound with an axle-back, and I suppose for many that is all they want. But real weight savings and performance gain won't be realized unless you go with a full system.

Cheers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Both of those systems are cool and all, but you won't get maximum exhaust performance unless you have some of these bad boys installed as well:

Click here to enlarge

http://www.turbowhistler.net/turbo-whistle/index.htm

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have the Ginatni X-pipe paired with my Arqray Ti axle back and the sound is perfect!!