Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

What is the top speed record for a BMW?

Anyone know? I have been thinking about this lately and wondering who has set the highest top speed. I think G-power claims to have the highest top speed.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Ok, here is G-power's claim:

Powered by a V10 SK III RS twin-supercharger engine with 750 hp / 552 kW, which enabled the G-POWER world record car to achieve a top speed of 367,4 km/h, the G-POWER M6 HURRICANE CS has got what it takes to be a member of the super car league.
    Was this verified by anyone? They are saying they hit 229.63 mph.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

They would have definitely needed to change the rear diff/gearing ratio.
    I am sure that the standard one tops at 204mph just like the e9x m3.
    Could I be wrong? yes!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CookieCrisp Click here to enlarge
    They would have definitely needed to change the rear diff/gearing ratio.
    I am sure that the standard one tops at 204mph just like the e9x m3.
    Could I be wrong? yes!
    You are wrong, the DCT tearing tops out at 208.4 mph and the manual 196.2

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Ok, apparently the G-power top speed was verified:

After the record for the world’s fastest BMW sedan, G-POWER did it again and broke the long-standing record for the overall fastest sedan in the world. In November 2008 the 750 hp strong G-POWER M5 HURRICANE RS realised a new top speed of 228,3 mph (367,4 km/h). This speed has been clocked and certified at the ATP High-Speed test track in Papenburg. Nobody is faster. Worldwide!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It isn't verified until we see the v-box graph Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MSpiredM3 Click here to enlarge
    It isn't verified until we see the v-box graph Click here to enlarge
    Usually this would be the case but seems they did it at a high speed test facility.

You know what? I want this record.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What do you think is the top speed of a 335i? Stock and then with a JB3 and full bolt-ons?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by smacky Click here to enlarge
    What do you think is the top speed of a 335i? Stock and then with a JB3 and full bolt-ons?
    Well stock they are electronically limited.

Does a JB3 eliminate the speed limiter?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    no

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

But you can get it from them ala cart for a reasonable price.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

You can buy speed delimiters for a few bucks. I don't know why anyone would want to go 155 on public roads anyway.

If a race has to keep going past 150 then either one of you are stubborn or there is a tie, and the race needs to stop anyway.

Closed course, $#@! go for 300.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, what I meant was limiter off in both stock and JB3 instances. And not on open roads, hypothetically, the Texas Mile.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Well, what I meant was limiter off in both stock and JB3 instances. And not on open roads, hypothetically, the Texas Mile.
    Tough to speculate but the low 170 range.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

on the texas mile, a jb3 car running nos hit 155. obviously he had more steam to keep moving the dial clockwise but thats what he could muster in a miles distance of acceleration. if you're asking the top speed, a stock turbo car will never get to the geared out top speed with an open enough road, the stock turbos dont have the flow up top.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    on the texas mile, a jb3 car running nos hit 155. obviously he had more steam to keep moving the dial clockwise but thats what he could muster in a miles distance of acceleration. if you're asking the top speed, a stock turbo car will never get to the geared out top speed with an open enough road, the stock turbos dont have the flow up top.
    I'm not so sure, isn't the AT gear limited to 174mph? Considering the amount of torque and how fast I pulled to 155 (speedo, not gps) with just DCI and JB3 on map5 I'm sure a 135i or 335i could hit it's gearing limited top speed with enough room. (if it is 174mph, mt will be different) Meth and intercooler would play a big role in a long pull like that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    I'm not so sure, isn't the AT gear limited to 174mph? Considering the amount of torque and how fast I pulled to 155 (speedo, not gps) with just DCI and JB3 on map5 I'm sure a 135i or 335i could hit it's gearing limited top speed with enough room. (if it is 174mph, mt will be different) Meth and intercooler would play a big role in a long pull like that.
    i had posted the gear ratios in a different thread, i guess you missed it. the manuel gears out at 199 with its 3.08 rear gear. the AT has a higher final drive at 3.46 but its 6th gear itself is a lower ratio than the man's. the auto i think gears out at over 200 Click here to enlarge which is pretty cool, i hope one day someone will have enough road to do it Click here to enlarge if you'd like the numbers again i can get them Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

i had posted the gear ratios in a different thread, i guess you missed it. the manuel gears out at 199 with its 3.08 rear gear. the AT has a higher final drive at 3.46 but its 6th gear itself is a lower ratio than the man's. the auto i think gears out at over 200 Click here to enlarge which is pretty cool, i hope one day someone will have enough road to do it Click here to enlarge if you'd like the numbers again i can get them Click here to enlarge
    I did miss it. Nevermind then, it will take quite a bit of power to get to the 200mph mark, if someone does do it on stock turbos it will be a stressful experience. (for the engine and owner!)

Do you happen to know the tags so I can search for it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    I did miss it. Nevermind then, it will take quite a bit of power to get to the 200mph mark, if someone does do it on stock turbos it will be a stressful experience. (for the engine and owner!)

Do you happen to know the tags so I can search for it?
    it was in the drag racing thread LM started. ill save you the trouble Click here to enlarge http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...9111#post39111
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So "low 170s" whether JB3 or stock?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

So "low 170s" whether JB3 or stock?
    With JB3 and all the supplementary mods in the mile. ASR hit 179 with upgraded turbos: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...hlight=asr+135

For top speed, the car would get close to 170 even stock.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

you may wanna edit that post sticky. you have the information a little screwy. the jb3 car that was also at the event was running nitrous and meth, but stock turbos of course. he ran 155 in the mile, but his top speed, could have been above 170, thats for sure. the asr car did and does not have nitrous but had meth and of course their turbos, and as you said ran 179 in the mile. the top speed is still unknown on an upp'ed turbo car. if i can find the road, i have the tires to pull it off when i get a set myself Click here to enlarge both cars i believe had their curb weight unchanged for the event, running full interior.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

you may wanna edit that post sticky. you have the information a little screwy. the jb3 car that was also at the event was running nitrous and meth, but stock turbos of course. he ran 155 in the mile, but his top speed, could have been above 170, thats for sure. the asr car did and does not have nitrous but had meth and of course their turbos, and as you said ran 179 in the mile. the top speed is still unknown on an upp'ed turbo car. if i can find the road, i have the tires to pull it off when i get a set myself Click here to enlarge both cars i believe had their curb weight unchanged for the event, running full interior.
    Yes you are correct, the run was done on the turbos, duh.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Anyone know the records of the various E30s with the S85 swaps from m5/m6board runs? Those things seem like bullets and are super light....wonder what they top out at?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    Anyone know the records of the various E30s with the S85 swaps from m5/m6board runs? Those things seem like bullets and are super light....wonder what they top out at?
    I think the E30's would be aerodynamically limited.