Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

The E92/E90 M3 does not weight 3700 pounds! Curb weight is 35XX

Sick and tired of seeing incorrect weight figures for the M3 propogated. The figured on BMW's site is the European figure which inclues a 75kg driver. This is how much an E92 M3 DCT weighs:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

when I sit in it and turn it on it'll be well over 3700

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Yes but the car doesn't weight 3700. You and the car weigh 3700.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Yes but the car doesn't weight 3700. You and the car weigh 3700.
    car doesn't drive at 3549, car drives at 3700 so therefore thats the weight that matters.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by seth@eurocharged.com Click here to enlarge
    car doesn't drive at 3549, car drives at 3700 so therefore thats the weight that matters.
    This is really weird logic on your part. It's impossible to account for weight of drivers. When discussing a vehicles weight you discuss the weight of the vehicle, not its weight and guessing who the driver may be.

So when someone says the hope the F80 M3 is lighter, it's the car they are referring to, not the driver.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

This is really weird logic on your part. It's impossible to account for weight of drivers. When discussing a vehicles weight you discuss the weight of the vehicle, not its weight and guessing who the driver may be.

So when someone says the hope the F80 M3 is lighter, it's the car they are referring to, not the driver.
    ok well to just get my point across again, what I am saying is that the extra step of measurement can mean all the difference where it counts. people say they hope it weighs less but if it was say 30lbs lighter yet you gained 30lbs this year you are back to the square one. My point is power/weight ratio means more and it means the most when you are actually driving it because my m3 with me in it at 175lbs and you at 225lbs is better meaning it will be faster all other variables being equal.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by seth@eurocharged.com Click here to enlarge
    ok well to just get my point across again, what I am saying is that the extra step of measurement can mean all the difference where it counts. people say they hope it weighs less but if it was say 30lbs lighter yet you gained 30lbs this year you are back to the square one. My point is power/weight ratio means more and it means the most when you are actually driving it because my m3 with me in it at 175lbs and you at 225lbs is better meaning it will be faster all other variables being equal.
    Yes I supposed if someone gained a bunch of weight it would change things but I don't think people are worried about their bodies as much as the weight of the car. The amount of weight for a human being is a small % of the weight of the actual car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

people discuss curb weight because you can't account for the massive variance in drivers using the car. I get it. but that doesn't mean it's just not a bad way to discuss it. the more precises calculation is just that, more precise. F1 drivers aren't 6'5" jolly green giants for a reason. less weight means faster car - I know this isn't new. just saying its the discussion we should be having instead of an empty car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes I supposed if someone gained a bunch of weight it would change things but I don't think people are worried about their bodies as much as the weight of the car. The amount of weight for a human being is a small % of the weight of the actual car.
    yet its the only variable in the equation that changes things. its still a variable though, doesn't mean it should be ignored. should a 320lb man expect his M3 to do the same in the 1/4 mile as a 140lb guy?

hell no.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

An F1 driver can really be any weight as there is a minimum for the driver and car.

The more precise calculation is simply paying attention to the weight of the car not all the variables a drivers weight presents.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

yet its the only variable in the equation that changes things. its still a variable though, doesn't mean it should be ignored. should a 320lb man expect his M3 to do the same in the 1/4 mile as a 140lb guy?

hell no.
    Who expects that? And what does it have to do with trying to make the new M3 lighter? It will be lighter for everyone, the car's weight is the constant here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

An F1 driver can really be any weight as there is a minimum for the driver and car.

The more precise calculation is simply paying attention to the weight of the car not all the variables a drivers weight presents.
    that makes no sense at all but whatever. you don't like deep dish pizza either so the fact we dont see eye to eye isn't surprising.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Who expects that? And what does it have to do with trying to make the new M3 lighter? It will be lighter for everyone, the car's weight is the constant here.
    hahaha, the debate wasn't about the new vs old it was about BMW list weight vs your scale photo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

that makes no sense at all but whatever. you don't like deep dish pizza either so the fact we dont see eye to eye isn't surprising.
    How does it make no sense when curb weight is the standard the auto industry uses?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

How does it make no sense when curb weight is the standard the auto industry uses?
    because the standard is the less precise measurement taken. not sure how that is unclear.

standard weight = weight of car
    precise weight = weight of car, fluids, driver, ect...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

because the standard is the less precise measurement taken. not sure how that is unclear.

standard weight = weight of car
    precise weight = weight of car, fluids, driver, ect...
    Curb weight is far more precise than guesstimating the weight of a driver.

Curb weight includes fluids.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

yeah forgot to put that in 1st line.

fine, precise is a bad word to choose. lets use "accurate". better to try and account for most of driver weight than none at all in my book but whatever, you see it differently. I'll live if you don't get my point. I just want to know what the car will likely do in the real world with a driver in it and the 200lbs or so difference effects the power/weight ratio quite a bit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

yeah forgot to put that in 1st line.

fine, precise is a bad word to choose. lets use "accurate". better to try and account for most of driver weight than none at all in my book but whatever, you see it differently. I'll live if you don't get my point. I just want to know what the car will likely do in the real world with a driver in it and the 200lbs or so difference effects the power/weight ratio quite a bit.
    I don't find it better or accurate. I don't like it at all really. I find it strange you are thinking a cars weight should be listed with a driver. It just seems so odd to me. I just care about the weight of the car. I can add my own weight in. It's pretty obvious the weight of the driver will affect the car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Is this will full tank of gas and full fluids @Sticky?

What other options other than DCT?
    ///Matthew
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

The cars will vary on base weight sans driver based on trans, options and body style. Thats one car and without seeing the car on the scales it could be any car, I'm not disputing the weight so dont jump off the bridge. However the average weight of the car sans driver can vary a bit especially with the Vert to Sedan to Coupes.
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MK599 Click here to enlarge
    Is this will full tank of gas and full fluids @Sticky ?

I'm not too sure I think half tank. Since it's an E92 carbon roof obviously.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
    The cars will vary on base weight sans driver based on trans, options and body style. Thats one car and without seeing the car on the scales it could be any car, I'm not disputing the weight so dont jump off the bridge. However the average weight of the car sans driver can vary a bit especially with the Vert to Sedan to Coupes.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MK599 Click here to enlarge
    Is this will full tank of gas and full fluids @Sticky ?

Here we go:

Options:
    -19" wheels
    -M-DCT
    -EDC
    -Nav (Tech. Package)

1/4 tank of fuel.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Here we go:

Options:
    -19" wheels
    -M-DCT
    -EDC
    -Nav (Tech. Package)

1/4 tank of fuel.
    No carbon hood/trunk?

Step your game up Click here to enlarge

(kidding)

Glad you car is getting closer!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I'm not too sure I think half tank. Since it's an E92 carbon roof obviously.
    E92 also come sunroof hehe.
    I meant like iDrve and comp zcp package, premium, pdc etc as that may also affect some weight.

Edit: Just saw previous post now with options. Thanks.

My E92 with pole positions up front and rear seats removed along with light weight wheels and other weight reduction stuff measured at 3506lbs with 1/8 tank of gas. So with full tank my car is over 3650lbs easy. Stock.
    ///Matthew
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast