Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Buy CPO or get BMW extended warranty For 2009 BMW E60 M5?

So im looking into buying a 2009 M5, and it comes with Certification. My dealer told me its good for 2 years, 100k miles after the factory warranty runs out. They have performed the Certification on the car but told me they can knock off $3,000 if I don't want certification. Now my issue is this, the BMW extended warranty is 3 years, 100k miles. An extra year more then CPO and costs about the same $3,000. So should I leave the CPO take the 3 grand and buy the bmw extended warranty? Seems like the top level bmw extended warranty covers everything the CPO covers, so im not sure what the difference is. Thanks for any help.
    ///M5 LCI
    "It's like the F10 is the 911 Turbo to the E60's GT3" -Pistonheads (M5 feature)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Is 1 year worth $3k to you? Do you plan to mod?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Is 1 year worth $3k to you? Do you plan to mod?
    Hey sticky,
    CPO is $3K for 2 years from the dealer, and $3K for 3 years via bmw extended warranty. So the price is the same, its the name of the warranty CPO vs BMW extended, and the 2 years coverage (cpo) vs 3 years coverage ( BMW extended) im trying to understand what the difference is and what route is better. No intention on engine mods initially, as im coming off a FBO 335i now, so wanna have some stock time lol. But down the road yes.
    ///M5 LCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5soko Click here to enlarge
    Hey sticky,
    CPO is $3K for 2 years from the dealer, and $3K for 3 years via bmw extended warranty. So the price is the same, its the name of the warranty CPO vs BMW extended, and the 2 years coverage (cpo) vs 3 years coverage ( BMW extended) im trying to understand what the difference is and what route is better. No intention on engine mods initially, as im coming off a FBO 335i now, so wanna have some stock time lol. But down the road yes.
    Doesn't $3k for 3 years make the most sense?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Doesn't $3k for 3 years make the most sense?
    Yup, of course, thats why im little confused as to why and if CPO is any different then bmw extended warranty or am I missing something? Because if I don't take the CPO from the dealer at the time of the sale, I cant purchase the CPO again, only the bmw extended warranty... I know a friend told me the CPO title will be on the carfax of the car, and when I purchase the bmw extended warranty it wont show up anywhere, so I guess that's a + and also when you purchase CPO car, they check the entire car, replace brakes, tires, oil, etc. when you buy extended warranty they don't service the car, you just get warranty. But still makes more since to go BMW extended for 3 years for $3k then CPO for 2 years for $3K.. Trying to figure out any other difference im missing or anyone knows of.
    ///M5 LCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5soko Click here to enlarge
    Yup, of course, thats why im little confused as to why and if CPO is any different then bmw extended warranty or am I missing something? Because if I don't take the CPO from the dealer at the time of the sale, I cant purchase the CPO again, only the bmw extended warranty... I know a friend told me the CPO title will be on the carfax of the car, and when I purchase the bmw extended warranty it wont show up anywhere, so I guess that's a + and also when you purchase CPO car, they check the entire car, replace brakes, tires, oil, etc. when you buy extended warranty they don't service the car, you just get warranty. But still makes more since to go BMW extended for 3 years for $3k then CPO for 2 years for $3K.. Trying to figure out any other difference im missing or anyone knows of.
    A year is a year. If it's the exact same warranty take the year. I just don't know if it is. Should be right?