Close

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge
    Hate to be the bad guy but did @VargasTurboTech notice the post on 4/23/13 on n54tech where it was discovered that the N55 turbo is an "R" (spins backwards from normal)? RB said that could be a nail in the coffin, at least for EFR parts. Any comments?
    There's a LOT of cars with reverse rotation turbos. I think the EVO had this at some point.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There are a few. But I can honestly say I'd never modified one, just have seen and read bout them on other Mits platforms (ie. TD04L-R, etc). Not rocket science, they just spin opposite direction. There are routes to consider, hopefully Tony can have something for you guys shortly. Personally I've not been in much of a rush with the N55 as it is much less demand and I get ran ragged with the N54.

Tony if at all interested I may have about 4 N55 cores for you, if I go the full upgrade path will not need any of it. I'm aware of some of the vendors and processes for making custom wheels, just feel that it could also be more hassle than what it is worth in the long run and a slight up charge for a full twin scroll setup would be appeasing to the masses as well.

Rob

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    There's a LOT of cars with reverse rotation turbos. I think the EVO had this at some point.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    The turbine wheel, compressor wheel combo I have chosen is proven to make 600 WHP on other platforms, in this platform as I stated I see it supporting 500-550 WHP. Things are looking bright for the N55...Click here to enlarge
    This might be a silly question, but does anyone know if the N55 will be able to support this kind of power? I know with RBs + Meth, people were in the low 500 WHP range on the N54, but I don't think I've seen any N55's even break 450 WHP (with a normal baseline).
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    This might be a silly question, but does anyone know if the N55 will be able to support this kind of power? I know with RBs + Meth, people were in the low 500 WHP range on the N54, but I don't think I've seen any N55's even break 450 WHP (with a normal baseline).
    I think you answered your own question. But that being said I am 100% confident the motor the can handle 500 WHP

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Of course we know its reverse rotation, they are becoming more and popular in modern engines due to space constraints. All this means for me is having my wheels manufactured in reverse rotation, something we have done on other platforms already. As far as nail on the coffin for EFR. Yes and no, I'll leave it at that.
    I'm sorry would you elaborate on EFR?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Other than the N55 turbo being net smaller vs N54, most of the airflow parts (heads/valves/cams) appear similar or even better than the N54. The N55 exhaust manifold looks a bit cramped at the turn into the turbo but how much that ultimately affects things...I guess we'll see soon enough.

Good luck Tony!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If Tony pulls this off I'd be tempted to get an X3...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Other than the N55 turbo being net smaller vs N54, most of the airflow parts (heads/valves/cams) appear similar or even better than the N54.
    But that doesn't address the integrity of the internals. Only 1 way to find out though
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    LOL I was thinking the same thing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I'm sorry would you elaborate on EFR?
    Robs plan and the correct one (ours at first as well) was to take an EFR CHRA and adapt it to the N55 housings. As soon as our core arrived that was scraped and we changed gears because of the Reverse rotation. I am actually happier with the route we have taken now over the EFR. So what I meant by yes and no was, EFR CHRA into stock housings, No, building a full manifold for the EFR, changing downpipes, intake piping, and charge piping, basically a stage 3 or ST kit for the N55 yes its still possible. Although expect ST or Stage 3 similar prices for that route.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There is no if, it will be done and it wont be that long until we are testing. I am told my wheels are a couple weeks out. Then final machine work, get car here, figure out line adaptations, and tune.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There is no if, it will be done and it wont be that long until we are testing. I am told my wheels are a couple weeks out. Then final machine work, get car here, figure out line adaptations, and tune.
    Absolutely awesome.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    I can name 4 of the top of my head with many many more coming out. Neon SRT-4, N55, F10 M5, Ford EcoBoost V6. They do it on most V Twins, or on singles where they want to tuck the manifold close to the block and still have the exhaust and intakes facing the right way.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So you think we're looking at an end of Summer release? I'm guessing with XI involved, I wont be getting much more than 460-500ish..
    AWE Non-Res Exhaust | AWE ColdFront | Bootmod3 BEF | Dodson Superstock Clutch | EoS Intercooler | ER Downpipes | ER Chargepipes | Fuel-It Platinum PI | Ice Tank | JB4 | Pure Stage 2 | Swift Springs | TPG/DSS 1200hp Axles | Built Motor (Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port & Polish)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Is this the only option you're working on right now? a ST/ST3 kit? I assume from yours and Rob's remarks there will be no stock frame, $2-3k upgrade available for the N55? If not, I guess I'm getting an N54 Click here to enlarge

Robs plan and the correct one (ours at first as well) was to take an EFR CHRA and adapt it to the N55 housings. As soon as our core arrived that was scraped and we changed gears because of the Reverse rotation. I am actually happier with the route we have taken now over the EFR. So what I meant by yes and no was, EFR CHRA into stock housings, No, building a full manifold for the EFR, changing downpipes, intake piping, and charge piping, basically a stage 3 or ST kit for the N55 yes its still possible. Although expect ST or Stage 3 similar prices for that route.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    Is this the only option you're working on right now? a ST/ST3 kit? I assume from yours and Rob's remarks there will be no stock frame, $2-3k upgrade available for the N55? If not, I guess I'm getting an N54 Click here to enlarge
    I think you totally misunderstood, Sticky asked me to explain why yes or no on the EFR only. Our N55 upgrade is a stage 2 style upgrade in that it uses the stock compressor and turbine housings with a new CHRA, with our own reverse wheels. It will come in somewhere around the 3 grand mark. Rob has said he will might do a full manifold etc. We will eventually offer a full kit for the N55 similar to a ST or Stage 3 style set up once the platform matures a bit to get it past the 600 WHP mark.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I see. $3k for a stage 2 style upgrade that will do 500-550HP. OK got it.

I think you totally misunderstood, Sticky asked me to explain why yes or no on the EFR only. Our N55 upgrade is a stage 2 style upgrade in that it uses the stock compressor and turbine housings with a new CHRA, with our own reverse wheels. It will come in somewhere around the 3 grand mark. Rob has said he will might do a full manifold etc. We will eventually offer a full kit for the N55 similar to a ST or Stage 3 style set up once the platform matures a bit to get it past the 600 WHP mark.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I see. $3k for a stage 2 style upgrade that will do 500-550HP. OK got it.
    Around 3K, not 3K. I do not know what pricing will be yet. But having all the parts made for it is driving the price up on my end, also the CHRA we are using is Dual BB and they cost a pretty penny. We will see where we end up. Once we get a full sample done.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the info Tony. I'm still torn between the N54 and N55. I can get a great deal on a 2011 135i MSport 6MT with NAV.

Around 3K, not 3K. I do not know what pricing will be yet. But having all the parts made for it is driving the price up on my end, also the CHRA we are using is Dual BB and they cost a pretty penny. We will see where we end up. Once we get a full sample done.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think you totally misunderstood, Sticky asked me to explain why yes or no on the EFR only.
    Yep!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    We will eventually offer a full kit for the N55 similar to a ST or Stage 3 style set up once the platform matures a bit to get it past the 600 WHP mark.
    You think it will do over 600 whp?

The question becomes what do the automatic guys do though?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the info Tony. I'm still torn between the N54 and N55. I can get a great deal on a 2011 135i MSport 6MT with NAV.
    Or you could get a 2008 N54 and go straight to Stage 3 twins with the monies saved!

Progress for both platforms is looking great though, and seems like the N55 won't have to wait as long as the N54 did to blossom.
    2007 AW/Beige E92 335i 6MT / JB4 / E85 BB backend / IC / DCI / DPs / ER CP / Forge DVs / Meth(off) / 335is/550i Clutch / MFactory Steel SMFW / NGK Step Colder Plugs / BMS SSK/UUC KNOB / M3 Front Control Arms / Solid rear arms / Tein SS-P Coilovers / M4 18" in PSS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Inducer/Exducer specs on that wheel?
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Other than the N55 turbo being net smaller vs N54, most of the airflow parts (heads/valves/cams) appear similar or even better than the N54. The N55 exhaust manifold looks a bit cramped at the turn into the turbo but how much that ultimately affects things...
    The N55 intake valves are 1mm larger and valvetronic (which no one has really tuned yet) will add flexibility. The N55 will flow marginally better, at least until the exhaust manifold.

The original N55 exhaust manifold will become a problem at some point just like on the N54. I don't know about the injectors, although the N54 is the only turbocharged BMW engine to use the piezo electric injectors, I believe.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Inducer/Exducer specs on that wheel?
    I wont be releasing these. They are custom wheels, and I am trying to keep most of the specs to ourselves.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast