Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: S54 FI Comparo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by folgrz Click here to enlarge
    Turbo is a Precision 6266CEA

Comes with new intake manifold, Intercooler, Intercooler piping, Downpipe, Tune, and I'm not sure what else.

Here is a pricing breakdown
    Pretty steep tbh given presented hardware but compares very well to other kits out there and love the idea of the OEM DME!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Pretty steep tbh given presented hardware but compares very well to other kits out there and love the idea of the OEM DME!
    that is a major selling point (dme tuned) and they claim stock driveability. itll be interesting to come across one of these once a few make it out to the west coast

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Irishace Click here to enlarge
    Wow, fantastic driving and love the car. This is exactly the kind of fun I want to have with my car. I have a lot of learning to do on how to drive though Click here to enlarge
    Looking forward to your build!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    I see an Okada coils on your car as a decal. Is that necessary on an S54 with FI? They're not cheap at all
    We had high rpm misfire prior to the coils, definitely worth it.

They've developed a new coil that is made in the US vs Japan to lower cost and they're priced at $600/set.

PM me if you would like more info.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tonester Click here to enlarge
    They've developed a new coil that is made in the US vs Japan to lower cost and they're priced at $600/set.

PM me if you would like more info.
    Why not put up a thread on them?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Why not put up a thread on them?
    Will do!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    This thread is very arbitrary in comparing the different kits power level because the dyno of different set up should be done back to back and even more ideal would be NA dyno on the same day before the FI additions. I have personally seen active stage 1 and Ess 550 kit put down some controversial numbers.
    Why: belt slippage, overheating, vacuum leak, and sometimes tuning and the owners think it’s the kits fault, lmao.
    Anyone interested in going FI should decide between turbo and supercharger. Since I do not have any experience running turbos on M3 I will skip on that. As for superchargers you should look at the power deliveries of all centrifugal units (Hks, Rotrex, Vortech,etc.) and choose the right unit for you. Once you figure that out you can start comparing supercharger kits from a money perspective, warranty, service, and live tuning options.

I for one like AA from a customer service (warranty) and power point of view. But I will not get bias on this one.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by m3816 Click here to enlarge
    This thread is very arbitrary in comparing the different kits power level because the dyno of different set up should be done back to back and even more ideal would be NA dyno on the same day before the FI additions. I have personally seen active stage 1 and Ess 550 kit put down some controversial numbers.
    Why: belt slippage, overheating, vacuum leak, and sometimes tuning and the owners think it’s the kits fault, lmao.
    Anyone interested in going FI should decide between turbo and supercharger. Since I do not have any experience running turbos on M3 I will skip on that. As for superchargers you should look at the power deliveries of all centrifugal units (Hks, Rotrex, Vortech,etc.) and choose the right unit for you. Once you figure that out you can start comparing supercharger kits from a money perspective, warranty, service, and live tuning options.

I for one like AA from a customer service (warranty) and power point of view. But I will not get bias on this one.
    After hearing more, the AA rotrex setup sounds absolutely incredible. What SS headers are you running in your setup? Your car must be a blast to drive, love your setup.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    2008 E90 335xi - AT - TSM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am only running standard v2 Click here to enlarge there are more gains to be with SS Stepped V1.

HKS/Roterx is lighter in weight and really out torques Vortech but vortech is rebuildable where as Rotorex is not. I will be dynoing on the same dyno hood closed soon for more power. (hopefully)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Have you had any oil or coolant temp heat issues? Have you tracked the car, and if yes, any heat issues there?

Are you running WTM all the time, or does the stage 2 kit also work without WTM?

Nice setup; really intrigued with the HKS/Rotrex blower possibilities.

I am only running standard v2 Click here to enlarge there are more gains to be with SS Stepped V1.

HKS/Roterx is lighter in weight and really out torques Vortech but vortech is rebuildable where as Rotorex is not. I will be dynoing on the same dyno hood closed soon for more power. (hopefully)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I run boost juice all the time. I think you should ask Karl or Craig at AA about their meth tuning. I am locally tuned by one of their Executive dealers and chose to run meth all the time. I am not sure how they have their tune set up so I don't want to assume.(they are good people) My set up only kicks in after 2.5lb of boost that is after 4.5rpm(roughly pending gear and how far pedal to the medal) I dont spray much unless I am trying to pass or have fun. I have been running it for some time now with no issues. I have never had any heat problems with the oil cooler or water temp, I do not track the car either though. I am considering upgrading my oil cooler if I do an engine build or take it off and do a mild power wash to get the bugs out due to higher miles on the car.

FYI Dont buy into the whole Ess kits running meth an gaining power too much. What many do not realize is that Ess has their IAT located in the manifold so when you are spraying meth with out a tune, all you are doing is spraying the IAT to run cooler, in my opinion your are simply gaining power you should have had if it was located more properly.

(I promise in couple month alot of kits will be re-evaluating their IAT location just like Sal@evolve did with the carbon fiber manifold after frank smith pointed it out!)

My IAT was reading 104F while my gauge cluster air temp in a closed garage read 40F and the outside temp was 26F. Now imagine how much timing that engine pulls when the outside temp is 90F.Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Whats the feedback on the fabspeed headers, Febspeed says its similar to SS stepped v2? Apologies for the n00bie questions, just early in my research. Thanks again for your thoughts.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Whats the feedback on the fabspeed headers, Febspeed says its similar to SS stepped v2?
    Nope. They mimic the V2 non-stepped headers. Fabspeed, Agency Power, Status Gruppe tuning are all very similar replicas. Sadly, they are now priced 5x the price of the old replica headers available on ebay from 2008-2010 (aka JVT, or JVT-R).

If you're boosting the S54, don't cheap out on headers. @normcaldwell gained a ton of power going from traditional headers to stepped SS v1's on his vt500 kit. Get the V1's on Evolve's group buy and cry once. If you're a DIY guy like myself, save your back and knuckles too! S54 header job on jackstands is not a fun job to repeat.

I will have a dyno test shortly of my previous replica headers and stepped V1's. The difference is huge on the butt-dyno and the additional power is felt throughout the powerband.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by MisterEm; 01-15-2013 at 10:25 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MisterEm Click here to enlarge
    Nope. They mimic the V2 non-stepped headers. Fabspeed, Agency Power, Status Gruppe tuning are all very similar replicas. Sadly, they are now priced 5x the price of the old replica headers available on ebay from 2008-2010 (aka JVT, or JVT-R).

If you're boosting the S54, don't cheap out on headers. @normcaldwell gained a ton of power going from traditional headers to stepped SS v1's on his vt500 kit. Get the V1's on Evolve's group buy and cry once. If you're a DIY guy like myself, save your back and knuckles too! S54 header job on jackstands is not a fun job to repeat.

I will have a dyno test shortly of my previous replica headers and stepped V1's. The difference is huge on the butt-dyno and the additional power is felt throughout the powerband.

Hope this helps.
    You know your S54 headers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    stepped headers some daY!Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you want a set of headers for a supercharged car, get these.

Click here to enlarge

RMS headers for supercharged S54's. Largest primaries of any header on the market with 2.5" outlets. These were designed for supercharged cars. They work best when fitted to a custom dual 2.5" exhaust system.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by THATDONFC Click here to enlarge
    If you want a set of headers for a supercharged car, get these.

Click here to enlarge

RMS headers for supercharged S54's. Largest primaries of any header on the market with 2.5" outlets. These were designed for supercharged cars. They work best when fitted to a custom dual 2.5" exhaust system.
    Nice. Any before/after graphs?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Nice. Any before/after graphs?
    I can try and dig one up tomorrow.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by THATDONFC Click here to enlarge
    I can try and dig one up tomorrow.
    Please do.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the advice, this helps a ton. I just fell in love with the sound of the fabspeed paired with OEM section 1 and 2 along with SS race exhaust.

Will go the SS V1 stepped when the time comes.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I just fell in love with the sound of the fabspeed paired with OEM section 1 and 2 along with SS race exhaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9pEtzPxy1Y

Will go the SS V1 stepped when the time comes.
    I would highly recommend you avoid the replica headers, especially with boost. Even if it sounds glorious on youtube. I promise you that youtube video would have sounded better with an additional 15rwhp/10rwtq paired with the stepped headers from Supersprint or Epic! Click here to enlarge

You had a better argument for going with replicas when they were $200 shipped back in the day. With the replicas at or near $1000 (Agency Power, Fabspeed) now, it would be wise to step up (no pun intended) to a proper set of stepped headers from the start. If it helps your decision, I got my set used for $1700 shipped with the S pipe so keep on looking.

Take it from someone who's held and installed several brands of S54 headers (JVT, Evosport, AP, and both stepped Supersprint designs). The Supersprint stepped headers are miles ahead of ALL of the replica headers in quality, fitment and power. Miles.

Do it right the first time and you will have zero regrets.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would highly recommend you avoid the replica headers, especially with boost. Even if it sounds glorious on youtube. I promise you that youtube video would have sounded better with an additional 15rwhp/10rwtq paired with the stepped headers from Supersprint or Epic! Click here to enlarge

You had a better argument for going with replicas when they were $200 shipped back in the day. With the replicas at or near $1000 (Agency Power, Fabspeed) now, it would be wise to step up (no pun intended) to a proper set of stepped headers from the start. If it helps your decision, I got my set used for $1700 shipped with the S pipe so keep on looking.

Take it from someone who's held and installed several brands of S54 headers (JVT, Evosport, AP, and both stepped Supersprint designs). The Supersprint stepped headers are miles ahead of ALL of the replica headers in quality, fitment and power. Miles.

Do it right the first time and you will have zero regrets.
    Done and done. I will Mike Holmes the headers.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    In terms of you saying you like the sound of the Fabspeed headers, all of the V2 non-stepped 'replicas' or whatever you wanna call them are gonna sound the same. I got the SGT headers because the price was right. I'd rather spend the leftover money towards my FI setup. Later, I can go back and swap headers and other stuff to try to maximize the gains, but I couldn't justify the price for the SS headers right now.
    Click here to enlarge

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123