Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

2A19 After Clutch Job

Hey Guys,

I got a 2A19 after getting my clutch swapped. The code description is "tank ventilation valve, input signal". Searched around and Alpina had a similar issue and provided these possible causes:

Just to let you know what the problem was - in case anyone else runs into the same issue.

Actually, this tank ventilation valve that is mentioned in the DTC 2A19 is part of the car's emission system and connected to the fuel tank, which also explains why I got a CEL and the relevant dash light when I had this DTC. The evaporative emission system (EVAP) is probed by applying vacuum to the EVAP system and monitoring for a vacuum decay. The ECU in turn monitors this vacuum level through the fuel tank pressure sensor signal. The EVAP canister purge valve and the EVAP vent solenoid are turned on at the nick of time, allowing the engine to suck up a small vacuum on the entire EVAP system. After the requisite vacuum level has been obtained, the EVAP canister purge valve is switched off, locking the system entirely. If sufficient vacuum level cannot be derived, a large leak is indicated. This triggers the 2A19 and P0444 DTC and can be caused by the following conditions :
    1. Missing or faulty fuel cap.
    2. Disconnected or flawed fuel tank pressure sensor.
    3. Disconnected, damaged, pinched, or blocked EVAP purge line.
    4. Disconnected or erroneous EVAP canister purge valve.
    5. Disconnected or faulty EVAP vent solenoid.
    6. Open ignition feed circuit to the EVAP vent or purge solenoid.
    7. Damaged EVAP canister.
    8. Leaking fuel sensor assembly O-ring.
    9. Leaking fuel tank or fuel filler beck.

In my case, the mechanic installing my new RB turbos had disconnected the vent solenoid (no. 5.; it has the part no. 13907618652 by the way) and forgot to reconnect it after the installation. It simply had to be reconnected and the DTC went away.
    Any clue where to start looking after a clutch job? Most of those issues are back at the fuel tank and no where near the clutch. The fuel cap is indeed on.

Where is this EVAP canister? Any of this in the engine bay?

Thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    From Alpinas thread read this:

they may have not connected the purge valve to the throttle. There's a quick coupler note back side of the throttle you can probably see with everything fully assembled in the engine bay. It's either that or the valve itself is not connected to the harness.
    There is a brass round fitting On the rear side of the throttle that should have a black plastic hard pipe connected. If it is connected there, follow the pipe back about 6-8" and you'll find the valve itself. Make sure he harness is plugged in.
    It seems likely that you removed that pipe around the back of the throttle body to remove the starter motor front bolts. Its been a few months since I did my clutch change but I'm pretty sure I remove the pipe to give a bit more access around the back of the motor.
    Alpine White 2008 6MT 335i - Cobb AP - PTF Tuned - RB Turbos - AR DPs - VRSF 3.5" exhaust - Custom FMIC - 380mm BBK F&R - BMS DCI - M3 DCT LSD - Whiteline subframe bushes - M3 Sways and rear arms - M3 wishbones - ER CP - Spec Stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW - AST 4100 Coilovers - UUC DSSR -UUC Black tranny mounts - TMS Alu diff bushes - Forge DVs - Aquamist HFS-4 meth - Alufelgen CS7s - BMWP V1 Steering Wheel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Found out the problem. The TB and all tubing was in place but the connector for the pump/solenoid was not connected. First picture shows the connector dangling, the second shows it properly attached. Hopefully this helps the next guy!
    Attached Images Attached Images