Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

OS Giken Group Buy

This is a thread dedicated to an OS Giken Group N54 LSD group buy. I got some PM's about this and figured I would throw something together. Note: this OS Giken LSD is not released to the public just yet, BimmerBoost is the only place you will get this.

There are two options for the N54 motor:

1) SuperLock LSD

2) TCD LSD

The superlock LSD will retail for $2690. Price will be $2290 for this group buy.

The TCD LSD will retail for $2990. Price will be $2690 for this group buy. The TCD LSD is made to order and can take anywhere from 8 to 15 weeks to order (it will come directly from Japan).
    Last edited by ScrotieMcBoogerBalls; 07-23-2010 at 05:23 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Here is a description of the TCD LSD:

The OS Giken Super Lock TCD differential is an advanced LSD design, offering exceptionally smooth transition from open to locked operation. The unique design uses oil distribution channels on the plate surfaces and through the cartridge to achieve strong locking without the jerky low-speed operation often associate with mechanical LSD centers. The design is also maintenance-free thanks to the improved lubrication.

This advanced LSD uses a revolutionary breakthrough in clutch-type differential design. Its patented design enables 100% full locking, unparalleled durability and allows up to twice the friction plates (up to 28 plates in total) compared to conventional designs.

Made from the highest quality material using precise machining, forged gears and sound engineering, the Super Lock systems are the most durable and reliable race performance LSDs available. The Super Lock TCD is a 1.5-way differential that locks fully under acceleration and only partially under braking. However, because of the unprecedented amount of friction plates, this system results in reduced wear and more progressive locking action thus improving the ability for the LSD to lock fully and completely. And because of their fully locking design, less heat is generated resulting in even further durability and reliability.

More..............

The TCD was developed for the purpose of running as quiet as possible, but race teams in Japan have discovered that they get better lap times as well using the TCD vs. the normal Superlock.

The biggest benefit to the TCD differential is the holes are precision machined to the disks and the side gears, and when the disks are placed into the case the holes all line up perfectly, allowing for maximum oil flow in the unit. Basically, it turns the diff into a circulating oil pump. The process for doing this correctly is much more labor intensive, but worth it when the advantages are seen at the track!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ScrotieMcBoogerBalls; 07-23-2010 at 05:36 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How many people do you need for this and how long will it be going for?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    5 People and 1 month.

Forgot to mention...Because the TCD takes approximately 8-15 weeks to be get here after being ordered, you do not need to pay the full price until it comes in.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oh and I forgot:

I have no financially beneficial interest in this.

JE Import (who is working and nearing completion of my ST setup) has a really good relationship with the owner of OS Giken. I have had an OS Giken LSD in my other car and love the build quality, etc. I wasn't going to do an LSD if it wasn't OS Giken.

JE ended up saying "hey, we can get this product before it is official released" to me the other day. I figured I would try to throw this exclusive Group Buy over here if anyone else was interested. It keeps the cost down too.

So, when we go to buy (once we have 5 confirmed), it will be done through JE Import exclusively for members of bimmerboost.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sounds like an awesome deal. Really wish I was at the point where I could pull the trigger on a LSD currently
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SSDD Click here to enlarge
    Sounds like an awesome deal. Really wish I was at the point where I could pull the trigger on a LSD currently
    Fiscally, I am unable to...mentally.. I'm down! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    these diffs are for bolt type only right? if you have a welded crown you cant get it? or you need to provide the pumpkin? do they? i already have an LSD so this question is for people interested.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    these diffs are for bolt type only right? if you have a welded crown you cant get it? or you need to provide the pumpkin? do they? i already have an LSD so this question is for people interested.
    Good questions...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oh Hai Guyz,

I will have all the technical information, including pictures, on Monday re: LSD and the N54 motor.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Bump.

JE is working on a solution for all welded differential guys.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    And wen I mean solution, I mean a less expensive solution Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by unfor Click here to enlarge
    And wen I mean solution, I mean a less expensive solution Click here to enlarge
    I will be waiting for the solution and price on it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Who has the welded diff and who doesn't? Was it a hit or miss thing?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its the time of the build.

It sucks, most places now reccomend switching o the bolted gear diff. JE is working on a much cheaper solution where you can get the LSD on a bolted Diff. Install can be done at JE in Baltimore or you can send them the unit or pumpkin.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    All manuls are welded though correct? Sucks for us guys...
    2010 LeMans Blue M Sport 335i: JB3 2.0, BMS DCI, BMS TT/BG, 19" VM V714, JB Kidneys, Painted Ref, Debadged, UR CL DP's, TEIN S-Tech Springs

Old Ride: 2007 Montego 335i 6MT 12.34@111

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wizzle335 Click here to enlarge
    All manuls are welded though correct? Sucks for us guys...
    Not sure, is this true?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No, mine is bolted.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

the early models should have a bolted diff (pre march 2007) sticky. after that, BMW cut costs by welding the crown gear. im not sure about the newer models and models like the 'is'. it doesnt matter if you have auto or stick
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    the early models should have a bolted diff (pre march 2007) sticky. after that, BMW cut costs by welding the crown gear. im not sure about the newer models and models like the 'is'. it doesnt matter if you have auto or stick
    +1, good info.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Bump.

good install deals coming.

JE is working on a solution for welded guys. Will know more friday.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sadly I'm still not in the market yet but just out of curiousity what is the difference in the 2 you are looking at and this one

http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/b...-unit-lsd.html

I didn't see the 335i listed at all on OS Giken's website and was hoping you had some more information.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    SSSD,
    They're pretty similar actually. However, the SuperLock that JE is doing a group buy for is a bit more quiet and there are a few other changes that I am not technical enough to explain. If you get the chance, you (or anyone for that matter) can call JE at 410 686 5111.

JE got permission from OS to lower the price down a bit too.

The reason why the LSD isn't on their site is because it actually hasn't been released yet. OS Giken had 5 units in the United States and JE is going to buy them all.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by unfor Click here to enlarge
    SSSD,
    They're pretty similar actually. However, the SuperLock that JE is doing a group buy for is a bit more quiet and there are a few other changes that I am not technical enough to explain. If you get the chance, you (or anyone for that matter) can call JE at 410 686 5111.

JE got permission from OS to lower the price down a bit too.

The reason why the LSD isn't on their site is because it actually hasn't been released yet. OS Giken had 5 units in the United States and JE is going to buy them all.
    wow great info, thanks for making us privy. abid also told me about OS Giken before, he recommends it. i definitely would swap if the price was right and i didnt have one. maybe if the performance benefit over my quiafe is significant it could sway me.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Call JE . They install both.

Here is more detail on the OS:

OS Giken Co. Ltd. of Japan has recently introduced its highly respected and race proven OS Super Lock LSD. The Super Lock was in development for four years before its initial release. The revolutionary Super Lock is a true 100% locking LSD that instantly reacts and transitions smoothly from both free and locked positions, combining open differential drivability and limited slip differential performance and stability.

The OS Giken Super Lock features innovative technologies like the adjustable lock timing adjuster. Lock timing can be adjusted by replacing the springs in the pressure ring. Initial torque settings also adjustable through cone springs located at ends of clutch stacks. This allows the Super Lock to be tuned to meet your exact needs for optimum performance.

OS Giken is committed to producing an extreme quality LSD. Every Super Lock is manufactured from only the finest materials, regardless of the production cost. The Super Lock housing is manufactured from a proprietary billet steel alloy which is then heat-treated when finished. The gears are all hot forged. This attention to detail improves the precision and performance of the product.

U.S. patented bevel gear-in-pressure ring mechanism has enabled OS Giken engineers to miniaturize each gear, thus providing more space for up to an unprecedented number (28) of all-steel friction plates. The Increased number of friction plates improves the locking force of the LSD enabling it to lock fully and completely. An added benefit to being a fully locking mechanism is that less heat is generated, thus resulting in incredibly higher durability and reliability in even in the toughest racing environments.

OS Giken states that they have tested the Super Lock for over 22,000 performance miles and upon inspection of the unit, there was no wear, no loss of initial torque, and no loss of performance.

The higher locking force provides excellent straight-line stability at the drag strip. The Super Lock will lock 100% and transfer torque equally to each wheel.

You will experience less under-steer during cornering. When entering a corner with the throttle closed, the spring inside the pressure control ring will react accordingly and immediately return the Super Lock to its original torque settings. When exiting a corner, the Super Lock’s transition to the 100% locked position is smooth and predictable, resulting in better traction, stability and quicker exit speeds.

One key feature separating the Super Lock from our other clutch type LSD’s is that with the Spec-S (standard) settings, the Super Lock is actually able to function as a open differential at low speed/low torque situations. Thus, when performing a normal slow speed turn (such as a right hand turn on the street) or backing out of a parking space, our differential functions as a normal open differential, allowing smooth turning without premature wheel lock. Of course with performance settings, such as drift which would require a much higher setting of initial torque, some premature locking may occur.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast