Close

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Yes that's what I ran with my clutch masters smfw and nothing noticeably changed let alone eliminated or 90% reduced
    DZ you really are an encyclopedia. Lol.

You need to do your own faq page with all these little topics and just reference the faq #s when replying.

If you added a 2 sentence entry to your faq each time you answered a question like this you'd be pages in no time! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Yes that's what I ran with my clutch masters smfw and nothing noticeably changed let alone eliminated or 90% reduced
    My Friend followed this on his E46 M3...still complains that it rattles with his Spec clutch and flywheel.

I was not aware they made a single mass steel flywheel...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge
    DZ you really are an encyclopedia. Lol.

You need to do your own faq page with all these little topics and just reference the faq #s when replying.

If you added a 2 sentence entry to your faq each time you answered a question like this you'd be pages in no time! Click here to enlarge
    Heh ya that's what constant tinkering makes you into with time Click here to enlarge i think that's a great little topic actually for our blog that we try to update regularly with new things/findings on this platform
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge
    Its the nature of manual trans to rattle and as cars got quieter the DMFW was born to lessen the noise.
    I don't believe that. Every car I've ever owned had a SMFW and didn't chatter or rattle. MT with SMFW does not equal gear rattle for all cars.
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    GeorgiaTech335i how bad is the rattle? Have you tried raising your idle rpm with INPA? Did you get the SAC clutch and flywheel?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Ghost Click here to enlarge
    I don't believe that. Every car I've ever owned had a SMFW and didn't chatter or rattle. MT with SMFW does not equal gear rattle for all cars.
    True enough. I over simplified/overstated. DMFW are for NVH (not noise only) which manifests as MT rattle on some percentage of cars.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TCW Click here to enlarge
    GeorgiaTech335i how bad is the rattle? Have you tried raising your idle rpm with INPA? Did you get the SAC clutch and flywheel?
    It's getting better. The first day it was very bad, but has gotten better with break in. I haven't had to use the AC much, so I'll report on that later. I do have a lot of chatter on engagement, a little more than I expected with a full face. I haven't raised idle yet. No-SAC.

I've been dealing with some other issues, so I haven't paid too much attention to the clutch, but overall I'd say I'm happy with it. Engagement point is 10x better than the ACT.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's exactly how I felt about mine. I couldn't get past the chatter though. Wait till you're sitting at a stop light this summer with the AC on. You'll hear the chatter from inside the car with the windows up Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335Coupe Click here to enlarge
    It's getting better. The first day it was very bad, but has gotten better with break in. I haven't had to use the AC much, so I'll report on that later. I do have a lot of chatter on engagement, a little more than I expected with a full face. I haven't raised idle yet. No-SAC.

I've been dealing with some other issues, so I haven't paid too much attention to the clutch, but overall I'd say I'm happy with it. Engagement point is 10x better than the ACT.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335Coupe Click here to enlarge
    I've been dealing with some other issues,
    like what?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I hope this helps everyone else. I'm sure DZENNO can appreciate putting this long, stubborn issue to bed and it now AK335 can dodge this problem in his build. I bet all the flywheel makers are going to love this post.
    it happens on the auto too now. around and over 700whp. time for a 6mt and smfw i guess. or something else. seems the 6at is a dead end for this much power
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    That's exactly how I felt about mine. I couldn't get past the chatter though. Wait till you're sitting at a stop light this summer with the AC on. You'll hear the chatter from inside the car with the windows up Click here to enlarge
    I can't deal with that. Has anyone tried using gear oil to fix it? This sounds good in theory:
    http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_te...nny_rattle.htm

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/gear_rattle.htm
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I can't deal with that. Has anyone tried using gear oil to fix it? This sounds good in theory:
    http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_te...nny_rattle.htm

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/gear_rattle.htm
    Gear oil will not get rid of it, the only thing that would is being able to bump the idle up a little bit. If you can't deal with the rattle then stick with a DMFW, at times the rattlle isn't baI or even presetn, but with the AC at low idlle, its loud there is two ways about it. There is always a price to pay to go fast

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Gear oil will not get rid of it, the only thing that would is being able to bump the idle up a little bit. If you can't deal with the rattle then stick with a DMFW, at times the rattlle isn't baI or even presetn, but with the AC at low idlle, its loud there is two ways about it. There is always a price to pay to go fast
    I hear you talking, but I'm pretty positive you haven't tried it. I, too, could speculate, but I'm looking for experience. The link specifically talks about solving DMFW->SMFW gear rattle on BMWs, so their fix is certainly plausible.

Simply living with it or staying DMFW is an obvious option but we are looking for new solutions.
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I hear you talking, but I'm pretty positive you haven't tried it. I, too, could speculate, but I'm looking for experience. The link specifically talks about solving DMFW->SMFW gear rattle on BMWs, so their fix is certainly plausible.

Simply living with it or staying DMFW is an obvious option but we are looking for new solutions.
    I might give it a try, nothing to lose and the car is undergoing an overhaul anyway. The rattle isn't exactly unbearable and if nothing helps the rattle then it's still a very minimal sacrifice to make for power. Realistically speaking it's impossible to find a comparable platform where so little comfort has to be sacrificed for performance.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

I hear you speculating, but I am pretty positive I have tried it. It doesn't work, its like putting ear plugs in while cutting down a tree with a chain saw, you are going to hear it no matter much you try to soften the sound. There is no "new solutions" this is not a "new" problem. This is how it is if you want to run a SMFW with a transmission designed to use a DMFW. You pay to go fast, sometimes this means dealing with annoying sounds. I hate it as much as the next guy and did everything I could to fix it, including changing gear oils and trying "cocktails" even when I knew it wouldn't work. Guess what, it didn't work. But hey, go ahead and give it a whirl its not my money. I apologize for giving advice on something I have direct experience with. Carry on

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    I might give it a try, nothing to lose and the car is undergoing an overhaul anyway. The rattle isn't exactly unbearable and if nothing helps the rattle then it's still a very minimal sacrifice to make for power. Realistically speaking it's impossible to find a comparable platform where so little comfort has to be sacrificed for performance.
    Allen, you always get it man. Its nice when people just get it...Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    chuckle
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @Ak335i is the noise you talk about why you can't make more power past 700whp or due to the slipping tranny?
    Titanium Silver E92 09 BMW 335i xdrive 6AT
    KW V3 coilovers, AMS FMIC, AR Catless DP, Walbro 455 LPFP, BMS DCI, Alpina B3 Trans Flash, Vargas HPFP and Rail
    Protuned via Cobb by JR TUNED @ PandL Motorsports
    75%E85/25%93 blend 430awhp/470lbs tq on AWD Dynojet
    Dyno Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE6Ed...ature=youtu.be

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DQE92 Click here to enlarge
    @Ak335i is the noise you talk about why you can't make more power past 700whp or due to the slipping tranny?
    both.. i could go higher with knock sensors disabled but at the same time this is around where it starts to slip as well. basically over about 670ish whp it begins and gets worse causing more cyl6 misfires above that level

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ok thanks for clarifying. Was a little confused.
    Titanium Silver E92 09 BMW 335i xdrive 6AT
    KW V3 coilovers, AMS FMIC, AR Catless DP, Walbro 455 LPFP, BMS DCI, Alpina B3 Trans Flash, Vargas HPFP and Rail
    Protuned via Cobb by JR TUNED @ PandL Motorsports
    75%E85/25%93 blend 430awhp/470lbs tq on AWD Dynojet
    Dyno Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE6Ed...ature=youtu.be

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

In Dzenno thread on this forum about MT-90 multiple people say they tried the cocktail and it didn't help. It's like 2/3s of the way through I think.

The cocktail and a permanently raise idle is the best you can do. The noise isn't that bad...
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E70 Twin Turbo Diesel JBD

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    In Dzenno thread on this forum about MT-90 multiple people say they tried the cocktail and it didn't help. It's like 2/3s of the way through I think.

The cocktail and a permanently raise idle is the best you can do. The noise isn't that bad...
    What did he use to change the idle? I don't know if you can do that with INPA.
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
    both.. i could go higher with knock sensors disabled but at the same time this is around where it starts to slip as well. basically over about 670ish whp it begins and gets worse causing more cyl6 misfires above that level
    Now, outside of the one guy who blew his motor on RBs with misfire detection off, do we know that turning misfire detection off has any bearing on knock detection and correction?
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What did he use to change the idle? I don't know if you can do that with INPA.
    He didn't. If i remember correctly he said the UUC cocktail barely helped on the N54 if at all and that was the steel and not aluminum FW. I've yet to find a way to raise the idle but I haven't looked hard. If you find out how to let me know as I think a 1k idle would fix the rattle. A higher idle will also make a stage 3+ clutch easier to engage not that it is hard.
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E70 Twin Turbo Diesel JBD

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Now, outside of the one guy who blew his motor on RBs with misfire detection off, do we know that turning misfire detection off has any bearing on knock detection and correction?

i only ran one race with it disabled and didnt log.

when i get home ill log some 60-160s with it on and off and see how timing and what not reacts

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast