Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    Sent you some reps. Just know that the flywheel can be steel or aluminum. The aluminum one rattles but revs faster. The steel one doesn't rattle after break in. On Spec stage 3+ expect a long ass break in. I don't know about 2+ or the others. Last bit, the clutches can be SAC or non-SAC. You need the SMF to match (so four options, SAC or not and steel or aluminum).
    seems the non-SAC may be the way to go as it has a higher clamp capacity, Is this what you have with the stage 3+?? def sticking to a steel FW...coming from a car that had a an aluminum LWFW and it sounded like a powerstroke diesel with all the chatter, perf was great but after a few months it was too much for a DD.
    Click here to enlarge

PTF Pro Tuned l BMS DCI l DP l ETS 5" Intercooler
    HAT L4SE Carbon l HAT L1V2 l Jehnert XE200 l Arc Audio Arc 12 l Arc Minis l Audison bit Ten

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cadillacgrills Click here to enlarge
    seems the non-SAC may be the way to go as it has a higher clamp capacity, Is this what you have with the stage 3+?? def sticking to a steel FW...coming from a car that had a an aluminum LWFW and it sounded like a powerstroke diesel with all the chatter, perf was great but after a few months it was too much for a DD.
    Yep. I have non-SAC stage 3+ with steel SMF. Its probably overkill for most, but I liked the extra insurance. The Stage 2+ limits haven't been reached yet, but I don't want to find out it is insufficient after paying $$$ for the clutch swap.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Unless the car sees road course action heavily and its not a daily driver I'd really recommend staying away from the aluminum and going with the steel flywheel. If I were to change my DMF out I'd go with the steel SMF at this time as my car sees street duty 99% of the time.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @OP: I also had a CM FX300 in my car about a year ago, was installed at the same time as the RB turbos. After just a few weeks it started slipping in 5th and 6th gear, so I threw it out and replaced it with a HPF Feramic stage 1 clutch (+ OEM FW).

The HPF clutch needs substantially more force to work the clutch pedal, but hasn't let me down since. It's pricey though.

I can also confirm the noise that rudypoochris noticed and which presumably comes from the OEM DMFW. I have it in any gear starting with 3rd, and it was most noticeable when I had my car on the dyno in September last year. I'd probably also go with the steel flywheel if I were to do it again. Certainly not from CM any more, I'm done with them.

Alpina_B3_Lux
    Current: Audi R8 V10 2013 S-Tronic, daytona grey, carbon side blades, MTM tune, Michelin PSS tires, Capristo x-pipe
    Gone: Audi R8 V10 2010 manual, ice silver, grey side blades, MTM tune, MTM air filters, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: BMW 335i Individual (Íhlins, PFC brakes, RB turbos etc.)

Gone: Alpina B3 E46 3,3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    @dzen no, any of the cars you know that are running SPEC using the OEM DMFW?
    I am going with spec 2+ with my OEM DMFW the used one... bad idea? lol will let you guys know how it does after break in. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Question, its a diaphragm pressure plate, what makes them so expensive? I thought they would be Borg & Beck or long styles.
    Kevin
    2011 335is 7DCT/JB4 G5-ISO BMS Flash
    2013 135is 6MT - JB4 G5-ISO
    FF Cobra Mk-IV work in progress

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Spec 2+ and Spec single mass steel flywheel are now installed. Only have 10 miles thus far. Initial impressions are good. Here are a few things I notice
    1.Engagement is a lot closer to the floor than both previous CM clutches plus the OEM FW, which I prefer. Previous car with ACT clutch and FW had very similar engagement point and I grew to like it.
    2.There is def more noise with this set up versus the 2 previous, it's not terrible but it may be a little more than I would want on a fine German vehicle. From what others have said this will start to dissipate after break in. At this point though, I just want something that works so I can live with some noise. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't steer anyone away from the set up, if it works like I hope it does, just know that it will have some chatter.
    3. The feel is more "mechanical" and solid rather than buttery smooth with oem flywheel set up. Again, I don't think this is bad just expect a different feel going thru the gears using this set up. Using my experience with the ACT again, it's very similar and I grew to prefer it.

Ill update if I run into any issues as well as how everything performs after break in.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Spec 2+ and Spec single mass steel flywheel are now installed. Only have 10 miles thus far. Initial impressions are good. Here are a few things I notice
    1.Engagement is a lot closer to the floor than both previous CM clutches plus the OEM FW, which I prefer. Previous car with ACT clutch and FW had very similar engagement point and I grew to like it.
    2.There is def more noise with this set up versus the 2 previous, it's not terrible but it may be a little more than I would want on a fine German vehicle. From what others have said this will start to dissipate after break in. At this point though, I just want something that works so I can live with some noise. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't steer anyone away from the set up, if it works like I hope it does, just know that it will have some chatter.
    3. The feel is more "mechanical" and solid rather than buttery smooth with oem flywheel set up. Again, I don't think this is bad just expect a different feel going thru the gears using this set up. Using my experience with the ACT again, it's very similar and I grew to prefer it.

Ill update if I run into any issues as well as how everything performs after break in.
    Your engagement point will start to come up more to the top (est. 60 miles). The springy feel will also disappear once the engagement point has settled as well. I now have just shy of 400 mile and decided it's time to test it out. All I can say is WOOOHOOO!!! The power is deff. making it to the ground and no more slipping. The chatter is on and off and if worse on a hill or when letting the clutch out slowly. I think this will subside some more as the break in completes. As for romping on it before the 500 miles, I sit in lots of traffic back and forth to work so I know I've gotten plenty of operation to let it settle in.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NJrep335i Click here to enlarge
    Your engagement point will start to come up more to the top (est. 60 miles). The springy feel will also disappear once the engagement point has settled as well. I now have just shy of 400 mile and decided it's time to test it out. All I can say is WOOOHOOO!!! The power is deff. making it to the ground and no more slipping. The chatter is on and off and if worse on a hill or when letting the clutch out slowly. I think this will subside some more as the break in completes. As for romping on it before the 500 miles, I sit in lots of traffic back and forth to work so I know I've gotten plenty of operation to let it settle in.
    THIS is good to hear!! Hope the outcome is the same for me. Thanks for posting!
    Click here to enlarge

PTF Pro Tuned l BMS DCI l DP l ETS 5" Intercooler
    HAT L4SE Carbon l HAT L1V2 l Jehnert XE200 l Arc Audio Arc 12 l Arc Minis l Audison bit Ten

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123