Close

Page 26 of 44 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Have the diff lockdown in place or at least solid diff bushings? Be careful with wheelhop and good luck!
    I have solid bushings. Let's see how bad the hop is before getting the diff lockdown.
    pt6466 FFTEC 335i
    gtx3076r FFTEC Evo IX

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    +rep
    I agree 100%. Cobb and PROEFI are the only companies actually advancing the tuning aspect.
    dzenno's torque figures back that pretty hard. I'm dying to see what's up with the PROEFI. At the end of the day, this is a tough nut to crack...It will happen eventually, but I hold no bets on when or who...they'll certainly earn all of my respect if it's repeatable/reliable. It's a shame Bosch Motorsport is so astronomically expensive, they have GDI ecu's out the wazoo, can build entire high flow DI setups,start to finish,incredible ignition options,etc,etc...Just way more coin than I'm willing to risk in event of car interface(datastream) issues....It's never going to be affordable in relation to the platform, or at least anytime soon. Wait and see I suppose

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

3 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    GeorgiaTech335Coupe ---- "It would be nice if we could keep this discussion purely technical and respectful for the sake of problem solving. But for some odd reason I think I may be asking too much on the internet."

Ill try my best -

TerryOFBMS ---- "Yeah it doesn't really add up to me either. I'd worry more about bearing issues, etc, if there are really harmonics flying down the crankshaft. But I have not personally done testing on this so who knows. A good solid flywheel is always a good move anyway."

rickOFdefiv ---- "So, the only way that this theory adds up on a technical level is that the DMFW is sending adverse reactions all the way through the crank thus disrupting timing chain deflection, creating cam/crank angle reference errors. Boy. theoretically that's like watching a Rube Goldberg machine go through it's paces. I'd be more inclined to buy it IF the reluctor ring was on the FW instead of the crank. 'm not discounting the incredibly slim chance that this is possible, but under full load against 6,000 rpm of rotational load?! Ha. This is great. One would assume the DMFW would be exiting the bellhousing in a relatively violent manner at that sort of disruption level. I'd love to see some oscilloscope screen shots of this going down"

The crank angle sensor is located at the REAR of the engine. The heavy DMFW is causing the crank to fluctuate, which is being percieved by the sensor (located at the rear of the crank, next to the FW) as misfire.

Nothing is shooting down the crank, to the timing chain etc.

Please, do attempt to spin a very heavy flywheel at 6000+ RPM, and tell me that you had no trouble holding it perfectly centered. Actually, spin it rapidly and let me know if your results are even better.

Spinning it up VERY fast with a lot of Torque is GOING to cause the crank to fluctuate, AND be picked up by the sensor.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by trbolexis Click here to enlarge
    Why am i unable to POST!
    probably best you don't.
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
    probably best you don't.
    Cool.

Please read my above post.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Cool.

Please read my above post.

wow
    im impressed, not the same trbolexus I remember
    kudos
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jpsimon Click here to enlarge
    former boosted posted up his independent dyno a long time ago (262 rwhp stock)

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...9/Dyno21-1.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...=pdTwtr5RQgk#!
    ah, cool, not bad! .. i say a slightly disappointing power figure, but still not bad!

any vids of it driving? on the road? how it's runnign today?

any OTHER cars?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Spinning it up VERY fast with a lot of Torque is GOING to cause the crank to fluctuate, AND be picked up by the sensor.
    only if something is out of balance somewhere

which is never good, ever.. and should never happen >_>

a heavier flywheel should be MORE stable though.

the DMF whole deal is about ELIMINATING torque spikes/fluctuations by way of the dampening springs.. and having two masses... get a flywheel of the same balance in single mass and you'll see far worse.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    only if something is out of balance somewhere

which is never good, ever.. and should never happen >_>

a heavier flywheel should be MORE stable though.

the DMF whole deal is about ELIMINATING torque spikes/fluctuations by way of the dampening springs.. and having two masses... get a flywheel of the same balance in single mass and you'll see far worse.
    Well... yes and no. A DMFW is designed with a specific rev/power range in mind. The fact that the misfires are only occurring near the top of the stock rev band in cars over 500whp almost lends some credibility to this theory. Still though...
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Well... yes and no. A DMFW is designed with a specific rev/power range in mind. The fact that the misfires are only occurring near the top of the stock rev band in cars over 500whp almost lends some credibility to this theory. Still though...
    isn't it occuring at WOT where torque fluctuations that aren't caused by tuning issues are (should be) impossible?

what kinda car would have weird torque spikes in that situation?

we're talking about a DMF that's identical on all N54 powered cars.. regardless of how much power they're making, they have the same rotational forces at a given RPM.........

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    isn't it occuring at WOT where torque fluctuations that aren't caused by tuning issues are (should be) impossible?

what kinda car would have weird torque spikes in that situation?

we're talking about a DMF that's identical on all N54 powered cars.. regardless of how much power they're making, they have the same rotational forces at a given RPM.........
    I don't disagree with you. I'm not saying I am sold on their theory. If this was the cause I would actually expext to see this being more of an issue in the lower rev range of a torque monster(460wtq+) when someone hammers the throttle and the crank speed starts to ramp up but the drive line resists rather than mid pull.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

The worst part of all this is that we'll never really know if this solves the problem. With Shiv publicly announcing this on nazipost I'm sure he's already decided that this will fix it(regardless of if it does or not) and will make it appear that it has. The nuthuggers will take it as gospel and scream "haterz" if the subject is ever brought up again... and the world turns.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

I don't disagree with you. I'm not saying I am sold on their theory. If this was the cause I would actually expext to see this being more of an issue in the lower rev range of a torque monster(460wtq+) when someone hammers the throttle and the crank speed starts to ramp up but the drive line resists rather than mid pull.
    yeah.. at peak torque, right? (or when peak torque HITS) since it's got an almost perfectly flat 'curve' going by the above graph.

heck, compared to dzennos torque monster, these things are practically torque-free!.. can't stock turbo N54's just about reach these torque figures when you wring their necks?

The worst part of all this is that we'll never really know if this solves the problem. With Shiv publicly announcing this on nazipost I'm sure he's already decided that this will fix it(regardless of if it does or not) and will make it appear that it has. The nuthuggers will take it as gospel and scream "haterz" if the subject is ever brought up again... and the world turns.
    Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

this kills the N54 development/community.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Oh you guys will definitely know if this works. None of us were happy about this situation, I can assure you that. We are more worried about a solution than playing the blame game, but I have no problem playing it if I need to.

If the new flywheel does not fix my misfire, I will be sure to post it. It wouldn't be cool to let other people think this would solve the problem (regardless of what kit they may be running in the future), if it didn't. I don't want anyone to have to deal with this like I have.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335Coupe Click here to enlarge
    Oh you guys will definitely know if this works. None of us were happy about this situation, I can assure you that. We are more worried about a solution than playing the blame game, but I have no problem playing it if I need to.

If the new flywheel does not fix my misfire, I will be sure to post it. It wouldn't be cool to let other people think this would solve the problem (regardless of what kit they may be running in the future), if it didn't. I don't want anyone to have to deal with this like I have.
    just make sure 100% that nothing else is done... not that you can on the tuning side of things

hence we'll never 100% know for sure >_>

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

LOL at this dumbass who thinks he is the only that knows of Joey Hand.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
    LOL at this dumbass who thinks he is the only that knows of Joey Hand.
    That one sure made me raise an eyebrow. He might want to consider doing a search on BMW Motorsports here before acting like he knows something everyone else doesn't. Especially something so damn basic...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    so this "fix" doesn't apply to chronically misfiring 6ATs?
    no, but you and i are STUPID! AT's dont misfire!! how dare you. this is fixed damnit, and the fix isnt even in yet!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Guys pleases ignore the 500whp comment from Shiv. Yiu certainly don't need to be making that much power to have this happen. It'll happen at just 15psi with RB turbos for me and it was happening for Big Tom at less than 500 as well as he was on stock turbos. Has nothing to do with POWA at 500 like he's so wrongfully construing
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    so this "fix" doesn't apply to chronically misfiring 6ATs?
    If you toss a SMFW in the passenger seat I think your covered. Plus you save money on the install.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

One more thing to mention that came up a couple times, its got nothing to do with the "state" of the dual mass flywheel (i.e. wear) or state of the clutch. I replaced both with a brand new DMFW OEM and a new HPF clutch and it still happened right after break-in too and it still happens 10,000km later.
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 12-13-2012 at 09:41 AM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

My only question is why was there a pic of the front of the head if the solution was the dmfw? Just to get a rise out of everyone? Other than that, I look forward to some trap speeds from some of these cars!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    reading the thread over there now, its comical how many people are on his ballbag...

an accomplishment for finding out what should of been found out before the kit was released 6 months late? So comical to me... Just proves no testing was done on an otherwise stock car, like most of his customers buying the kit would have.

Look at T , he fixes the flatline issue, contacts cobb and shares the "fix" with the community and other tuners. I feel like Shiv would of glorified it in his own thread or two and than charged for the fix... I dont care if Procede made 50 more whp over any other tune , ill never run that in my car for the sake of how bad the customer relations is and how ass backwards things are done...
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    reading the thread over there now, its comical how many people are on his ballbag...
    Great, and we get no credit for forcing him to acknowledge it. Sheep.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

So how much does this SMFW add to the cost of the kit? Is this something that will be included in the ST kit moving forward since it is a necessary component for 6MT's?
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Tuned Cobb Stage 2+ | H&R / Koni Sport | BBS LM

Page 26 of 44 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast