Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Exclamation My e46 330i sedan has serious handling issues

I've had problems with the handling since I had the rear bumper fixed. (I was rear ended )
    Here's the problem. The car pulls to the right when accelerate or slow down. Usually between 25-45 mph. On freeway speeds its ok but it doesn't hold the road like it use to. I've had wheel alignments and checked the barings but they haven't found anything.

My guess is the work they did on it bent the frame. I took it to a reputable place that mainly deals with high-end exotic cars, (bentleys, ferraris and bugattis) so i'm not sure if they did screw it up and even if they did is there anything I could do to fix it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Are you handy with a wrench? Jack the car up and check the rear trailing arm bushings and your subframe mounts before you go throwing money at it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I had my mechanic check the arm bushing and he said they weren't loose. Not sure what else it could be either.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

do you have frozen caliper or worn out bushings?
    s54door

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

its easy to bend the rear control arms which will make rear end alignments almost impossible to dial in.
    i do find it odd that your car is steering from the rear under braking and acceleration. is the ride height/wheel gap equal-distant in the rear left to right?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dreikraft Click here to enlarge
    its easy to bend the rear control arms which will make rear end alignments almost impossible to dial in.
    i do find it odd that your car is steering from the rear under braking and acceleration. is the ride height/wheel gap equal-distant in the rear left to right?
    Rear of the car affects the alignment and affect which way the front end will go. Id check for cracks or tears in the rear floorpan where the subframe bolts up. Common issue.

Trailing arm bushings, front control arm bushings, a bad tie-rod or even oddly worn tires will cause an issue.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks folks! I'm gonna take it in and have them look for tears in he rear floorpan. Already checked bushings but didn't help I'll let u know what I find out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Ok, finally got this figured out. It seems I had the wrong sized tires on the rear. I should of had 245/40-17 on the back tires instead of the 225/45-17 i had on there. Seems it created quite a problem. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hnic357 Click here to enlarge
    Ok, finally got this figured out. It seems I had the wrong sized tires on the rear. I should of had 245/40-17 on the back tires instead of the 225/45-17 i had on there. Seems it created quite a problem. Click here to enlarge
    Still seems weird it pulled to the right with that but glad you figured it out.