Close

Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    299
    Rep Points
    787.4
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

    CP-E, where are your E85 testing results?

    I am wondering about running E85 on the n54 and I am wondering how feasible it is to do this and what the limitations are. I saw you had started some testing over on e90post but everything was deleted. What were the results, is there a thread or writeup somewhere that I can read on how this idea was tackled? TIA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,485
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    i thought i read, from other threads and posts, that e85 was tricky for us since our fuel system seems to already have vulnerabilites as it is.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,616
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Yes Reputation No
    E85 is wonderful fuel for race applications. It's too bad our fuel delivery is so unreliable that it would be a ticking timebomb IMO. There are people making 1000+ whp on daily driveable cars with E85. It even smells great when burned, so many pluses for this fuel!!
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

    Other people eat shit and die.

    I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.


    Click here to enlarge

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    299
    Rep Points
    787.4
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    i thought i read, from other threads and posts, that e85 was tricky for us since our fuel system seems to already have vulnerabilites as it is.
    Initial results looked promising, just missing the full results, waiting on CP-E....

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlickSilver Click here to enlarge
    I found a repost :thumbsup: really good info, need to call them to see how their testing turned out.

    http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227652

    Looks like cp-e account was deleted/banned. Wonder what they did? Cuz looks like they were providing good info and testing for the n54.

    I have personal experience with running e85 with an injector pre compressor and the results are amazing, ideally I want to tune the n54 for e85 and run a 5 micron misting nozzle pre-turbo to change the compressor map to that of one of a bigger turbo under normal conditions. I think some people will say I'm crazy and turbo wheel will damage but there are just to many people running this successfully on street cars and I ran it to win formula sae in 2006 when at Texas a&m and if the compressor can pass oil droplets possibly from our crankcase recirculate valve (if u dint have a OCC) then it should be fine with super fine 5 micron mist. And e85 has excellent cooling properties. Just doing some more research before i figure out how to implement everything with tune and everything. Should be very exciting if I get the guts to do it after getting comfortable with the implementation.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Beltsville, MD
    Posts
    238
    Rep Points
    285.1
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Hey!

    Yes they deleted everything we had over there. The ban says it will never be listed and the owner wants nothing to do with cp-e because he claims we are slanderous (hard to do on a computer since slander is spoken word). Maybe had he said libel? I don't know I guess he's the attorney not me. God forbid the tuning / piggyback market have some competition over there. We wouldn't want to dispel some of the "things" Shiv says that the masses blindly believes. (Thats about the most confrontational you will ever see me get on any BMW forum as I won't go down to the petty nature some have displayed).

    We ran one of the shop n54's on a 50/50 mix of E85 for a couple months. It was A LOT of fun.

    SlickSilver - are you the gentleman I spoke to on the phone?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,785
    Rep Points
    31,792.0
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    318


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by www.cp-e.com Click here to enlarge
    Hey!

    Yes they deleted everything we had over there. The ban says it will never be listed and the owner wants nothing to do with cp-e because he claims we are slanderous (hard to do on a computer since slander is spoken word). Maybe had he said libel? I don't know I guess he's the attorney not me. God forbid the tuning / piggyback market have some competition over there. We wouldn't want to dispel some of the "things" Shiv says that the masses blindly believes. (Thats about the most confrontational you will ever see me get on any BMW forum as I won't go down to the petty nature some have displayed).

    We ran one of the shop n54's on a 50/50 mix of E85 for a couple months. It was A LOT of fun.

    SlickSilver - are you the gentleman I spoke to on the phone?
    This is the first I have heard of the E85 probably because it was all deleted.

    Ok, so can you run the car on E85 and do you recommend it?

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Beltsville, MD
    Posts
    238
    Rep Points
    285.1
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    It requires proper tuning and I wouldn't run 100% (I can't publically recommending run straight E85) but yes it runs just fine on this car. Standback2 made it a breeze to tune it.
    Custom Performance Engineering
    www.cp-e.com
    BMW N54/N55 | Forced Induction | Direct Injection Specialists

    Supporting BMW 1M | 135i | 335i | 535i and more

    Facebook: www.facebook.com/gocpe
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/gocpe
    youtube: http://www.youtube.com/CustomPerformanceEng

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,785
    Rep Points
    31,792.0
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    318


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by www.cp-e.com Click here to enlarge
    It requires proper tuning and I wouldn't run 100% (I can't publically recommending run straight E85) but yes it runs just fine on this car. Standback2 made it a breeze to tune it.
    Thank you.

    Do you feel there is any advantage to it or was it just done to see if it could be done?

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,892
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    this is pretty interesting. i thought though, the whole idea behind e85 is that the octane and cooling is better, but you need much more fuel in order to get the same power levels. the n54 hpfp has enough trouble pushing the fuel as is, and i thought the ethanol was the cause of the failures in the pump? why do you think people have been resorting to meth for more fuel, and now, nitrous. im not doubting cp-e's knowledge at all, but am just questioning as to how the pump can push more e85 than pumpgas because you need a lot for high power levels no?
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    299
    Rep Points
    787.4
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8



    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by www.cp-e.com Click here to enlarge
    Hey!

    Yes they deleted everything we had over there. The ban says it will never be listed and the owner wants nothing to do with cp-e because he claims we are slanderous (hard to do on a computer since slander is spoken word). Maybe had he said libel? I don't know I guess he's the attorney not me. God forbid the tuning / piggyback market have some competition over there. We wouldn't want to dispel some of the "things" Shiv says that the masses blindly believes. (Thats about the most confrontational you will ever see me get on any BMW forum as I won't go down to the petty nature some have displayed).

    We ran one of the shop n54's on a 50/50 mix of E85 for a couple months. It was A LOT of fun.

    SlickSilver - are you the gentleman I spoke to on the phone?

    CP-E, yeah we spoke on the phone, thanks for the info, still waiting on your email about duty cycles of the injectors and spare capacity in the fuel system Click here to enlarge

    i think that e85 is very interesting because it raises knock resistance with higher octane and through lower EGTs due to lower combustion chamber temps and better heat of vaporization and low boiling point.

    another thing that is of high interest to me is turbo fogging. A guy in Australia does it on alot of rx-7 with amazing power and reliability results, check out http://www.riceracing.com.au/water-injection.htm
    there is also many other examples of successful turbo fogging just google "pre-turbo injection"

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,616
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Yes Reputation No
    Oh I'm in this for the details.

    I love E85, Diehard believer in it.

    I would also like someone to debunk the myth that the ethanol is causing pump failures, because they are occuring in europe as well.

    Side note, this thread is not about speculating what is causing pump failures. It's about E85 and CP-E testing, so let's not get into the HPFP "guess how it fails" war.

    Anyway, carry on...
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

    Other people eat shit and die.

    I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.


    Click here to enlarge

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Beltsville, MD
    Posts
    238
    Rep Points
    285.1
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The issue with pumps failing is just luck. Both n54 shop cars we have had were and are on their first / stock HPFP. My car has 51500 miles (knock on wood). With the standback2 you can add fuel psi in any increment in any cell on the 30x30 fuel psi table so increasing the amount of fuel (as well as just changing the fueling table) allows us to properly tune for the mix of e85 and regular 93 octane. So the pump issue is not involved simply because we have been lucky on that front.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,785
    Rep Points
    31,792.0
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    318


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by www.cp-e.com Click here to enlarge
    The issue with pumps failing is just luck. Both n54 shop cars we have had were and are on their first / stock HPFP. My car has 51500 miles (knock on wood). With the standback2 you can add fuel psi in any increment in any cell on the 30x30 fuel psi table so increasing the amount of fuel (as well as just changing the fueling table) allows us to properly tune for the mix of e85 and regular 93 octane. So the pump issue is not involved simply because we have been lucky on that front.
    Is E85 something you recommend for people or actively promote in tuning? Seems just race gas is a simple, easier solution.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,616
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Is E85 something you recommend for people or actively promote in tuning? Seems just race gas is a simple, easier solution.
    E85 Is environmentally friendly!! (I dont really give a $#@! about this)

    It's cheaper tha race gas even with an AFR of 9:1.

    It's good $#@! mang!
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

    Other people eat shit and die.

    I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.


    Click here to enlarge

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,785
    Rep Points
    31,792.0
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    318


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    E85 Is environmentally friendly!! (I dont really give a $#@! about this)

    It's cheaper tha race gas even with an AFR of 9:1.

    It's good $#@! mang!
    It is good stuff but was just wondering if this was being done for performance or just to allow people to run E85.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    14
    Rep Points
    3.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Wait-I thought BMW was blaming the 10% ethanol found in cheaper gasoline for fuel pump failures. I would think e85 would eat the seals in a matter of minutes (according to BMW) LOL

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,785
    Rep Points
    31,792.0
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    318


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Morpheus Click here to enlarge
    Wait-I thought BMW was blaming the 10% ethanol found in cheaper gasoline for fuel pump failures. I would think e85 would eat the seals in a matter of minutes (according to BMW) LOL
    Interesting point.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Beltsville, MD
    Posts
    238
    Rep Points
    285.1
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Guys we were never promoting E85. BMW does blame the ethanol in part of the pump issues. We simply wanted to run e85 because it is nearly the same price as premium, allows for MUCH more aggressive tunes, and can be run daily. We happened to be lucky and the pump didn't take a poop. E85 is something used on all platforms as a fun fuel to use daily to push motors harder, safer. If I could afford to run 110 unleaded all day every day - I would! This was simply a post showing that it could be done and has great results. Do it at your own risk of your HPFP and fuel system components!
    Custom Performance Engineering
    www.cp-e.com
    BMW N54/N55 | Forced Induction | Direct Injection Specialists

    Supporting BMW 1M | 135i | 335i | 535i and more

    Facebook: www.facebook.com/gocpe
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/gocpe
    youtube: http://www.youtube.com/CustomPerformanceEng

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,785
    Rep Points
    31,792.0
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    318


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by www.cp-e.com Click here to enlarge
    Guys we were never promoting E85. BMW does blame the ethanol in part of the pump issues. We simply wanted to run e85 because it is nearly the same price as premium, allows for MUCH more aggressive tunes, and can be run daily. We happened to be lucky and the pump didn't take a poop. E85 is something used on all platforms as a fun fuel to use daily to push motors harder, safer. If I could afford to run 110 unleaded all day every day - I would! This was simply a post showing that it could be done and has great results. Do it at your own risk of your HPFP and fuel system components!
    Thanks for the added info Click here to enlarge

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,892
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Yes Reputation No
    nice disclaimer there at the end lol
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •