Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I haven't driven or paid close attention to a n55 car.... That's good news!
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    How did they do it with the E30?
    Hmm the situation is not really comparable, as the E30 M3 was the first of its kind and invented the "affordable sports car" segment in its class, just lke the first VW Golf GTI did in 1976 in the compact class.
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Hmm the situation is not really comparable, as the E30 M3 was the first of its kind and invented the "affordable sports car" segment in its class, just lke the first VW Golf GTI did in 1976 in the compact class.
    Fairly comparable as this would be BMW's affordable sports car so you made my point for me. Additionally, a higher strung 4 cylinder made by M makes more sense in this than just giving it the same motor already in the car and calling it a day. Isn't that what they did with the E30 to great success?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Fairly comparable as this would be BMW's affordable sports car so you made my point for me. Additionally, a higher strung 4 cylinder made by M makes more sense in this than just giving it the same motor already in the car and calling it a day. Isn't that what they did with the E30 to great success?
    Well the E30 M3 didn't have real competitors. I was implying that a +/- 300bhp M2 now not only competes against the M3/M4, but also against a myriad of cars like Golf R, Megane RS, Audi RS3, Focus RS, Astra GTC etc. What would make the M2 stand out against the competition (and justifiy the most probably higher price tag): 1. RWD and 2. a six-cylinder engine.
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Well the E30 M3 didn't have real competitors. I was implying that a +/- 300bhp M2 now not only competes against the M3/M4, but also against a myriad of cars like Golf R, Megane RS, Audi RS3, Focus RS, Astra GTC etc. What would make the M2 stand out against the competition (and justifiy the most probably higher price tag): 1. RWD and 2. a six-cylinder engine.
    Ok so we have established this vehicles competitors will not have six cylinders so isn't that all the more reason the tweaked N20 makes sense? This car won't compete against the M3. Giving it RWD and a six cylinder just makes it basically another M3. They should do what Mercedes and Audi are doing and it looks like they are.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The M2 is rear wheel drive. If they do put a reworked N20 in it they better do something magical to it. I was given an F30 as a loaner when my car was getting an oil change a couple of weeks ago and hated it. The gas mileage was cool though....
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
    The M2 is rear wheel drive. If they do put a reworked N20 in it they better do something magical to it. I was given an F30 as a loaner when my car was getting an oil change a couple of weeks ago and hated it. The gas mileage was cool though....
    Was the S14 not magical? Any powerplant massaged by M is going to special. Hence why the 1M was not.

We will see what they do with this 2 Series. I don't like the front wheel drive rumors.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Was the S14 not magical? Any powerplant massaged by M is going to special. Hence why the 1M was not.

We will see what they do with this 2 Series. I don't like the front wheel drive rumors.
    I don't know when these front wheel drive rumors come from but the M2 will be rear. Are they talking about the M car for their new front wheel drive brand?
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
    I don't know when these front wheel drive rumors come from but the M2 will be rear. Are they talking about the M car for their new front wheel drive brand?
    I don't think they have said anything about a front wheel drive M car but that would be a tragedy. The M2/M1 whatever it is should be RWD.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    4cyl? So less power (potential at least) than the n55? Bmw can't be that stupid

but what else can they do with the m3 being a turbo 6?

bmw m has really screwed themselves here, their only real choice is to make a car outright faster than their m3... Or fall behind..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    4cyl? So less power (potential at least) than the n55? Bmw can't be that stupid
    Does an EVO really have much less power potential than a 335 because it's a four cylinder? Fastest ones are much faster than the fastest 335's. Why discount something just because it is a four cylinder? This may be way more fun to drive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Does an EVO really have much less power potential than a 335 because it's a four cylinder? Fastest ones are much faster than the fastest 335's. Why discount something just because it is a four cylinder? This may be way more fun to drive.
    Well.. That's a complicated question in a way

Currently, all (mostly) OTS?
    Well an e85 tuned bolton 4g63 will get 330whp. But boost still doesn'y come on super low.

Takes a few mods (upgraded turbos?) for 400-450whp and that's PUSHING them.. Cams, internals, bigger turbos, you're getting into SOLID cash invesments and non street drivability lol

400-450whp is fbo (+meth?) just about for the n54.. No? And they make boost before 2k rpm, not 3k like an evo (but different redlines, evo higher, much more racecar)

If you're talking fast as in racetrack fast? Well yeah, nemo evo is INCREDIBLE.. Cyber evo not far behind, and evomadmac has an 800whp++++ twincharged hillclimb beast. They're all well into 6 figures though and super custom.

Awd vs rwd is simply a not fair comparison

I know 2jz or rb26 vs n54 is a tired comparison, but 2jz vs 4g63, damn straight the 2j will make 1000whp with the same money it takes the evo to hit 600.. And a 1500whp supra will last WAY longer than a 1000whp evo

But back in the early 2000's and late 1990's, even 400whp for a street car with the above engines was AMAZING.

Give the n54/55 the same time in development.. Or someone crazy enough to go fully custom.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    Well.. That's a complicated question in a way

Currently, all (mostly) OTS?
    Well an e85 tuned bolton 4g63 will get 330whp. But boost still doesn'y come on super low.

Takes a few mods (upgraded turbos?) for 400-450whp and that's PUSHING them.. Cams, internals, bigger turbos, you're getting into SOLID cash invesments and non street drivability lol

400-450whp is fbo (+meth?) just about for the n54.. No? And they make boost before 2k rpm, not 3k like an evo (but different redlines, evo higher, much more racecar)

If you're talking fast as in racetrack fast? Well yeah, nemo evo is INCREDIBLE.. Cyber evo not far behind, and evomadmac has an 800whp++++ twincharged hillclimb beast. They're all well into 6 figures though and super custom.

Awd vs rwd is simply a not fair comparison

I know 2jz or rb26 vs n54 is a tired comparison, but 2jz vs 4g63, damn straight the 2j will make 1000whp with the same money it takes the evo to hit 600.. And a 1500whp supra will last WAY longer than a 1000whp evo

But back in the early 2000's and late 1990's, even 400whp for a street car with the above engines was AMAZING.

Give the n54/55 the same time in development.. Or someone crazy enough to go fully custom.
    The Supra will last longer due to being an iron block not just because it is a six-cylinder.

Anyway, this four-cylinder version of the N20 by M is a great idea IMO and has the potential to be much more exciting than an N55.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well. A modern large v8 will make more power and be more reliable whether or not it's cast iron (generalizing), the engine's simply not trying (revving/boosting) as hard to make the power - and willl likely make power lower

Yeah, it could definitely be a good idea, but they definitely have to make it more exciting/faster than the old 1m and current m135i (quicker than an e9x m3).. And considering the streetable performance these cars have/can have, that's a TOUGH ask.

simply making it light weight/nimble as possible may rven be a tough sell.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I guess the real qualifier is whether they want to make it high revving racecar like.. Which may turn off many m-buyers

sure, they could keep a fair whack of the low end power and torque, but in a small 4cyl that either will sacrifice the top end (and potential), or increase cost and complexity MASSIVELY

i'm excited to see what they can do for sure though

i'll add, the4g63 is pretty much my all time fav engines easily.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123