Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    As for the neverending Sticky vs N54 debate: the E90x 335i certainly impacted M3 sales, as I've seen M3 E46 owners move to the 335i rather than the M3. The 1M production numbers were too low to know for sure how influenced its bigger brother's sales.

Now if this new "M2" builds on what makes the 1M so good, we certainly have a winner! BMW should just keep it simple and light. And RWD of course! The 1M got great reviews and modded cars are faster around racetracks than the E92 M3 GTS (at almost double the price tag)!! For reference SportAuto tested 1Ms prepped by "AC Schnitzer" and "Versus". At only 400-440bhp and +/- 1490kg those perform marvellously and are great fun.

So there definitely is a huge market for an M2 as the M3 gets bigger and heavier with every generation, unless BMW breaks this trend with the upcoming F3x M3/M4.
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    You are just saying it because you own one.

BMW is doing a Twin Turbo I6 M3 because they saw mine kicking an S65's ass on the Nurburgring F1 track 4 years ago Click here to enlarge
    1995 BMW M3GT nr:111/350 TwinTurbo and some other mods.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    IMO BMW was to late with the s65, it should have made it in the e46 chassis. Audi came out with a v8 s4 to compete with the e46 m3 and so then BMW did. BMW had the m5 engine in the e46 m3 in racing and it was very successful, then the rules changed and they weren't allowed to do that anymore. So they came out with the s65 (derived from the s85 m5 engine) in the e9x m3. Then came gas prices and gov legislature for car companies to get better fuel mileage across all models, so BMW turned to turbocharging technology.

Now we are entering a era where car companies are trying to make fuel efficient performance cars. Get ready for turbos , superchargers, carbon fiber, direct injection, compound turbos, etc, and IMO get ready for price increases on all performance cars to pay for all this engineering.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hestly I am not too concerned with turbos or not, but less weight will be great!

Honestly I dont care if a car is 3.5 or 4.5 sek 0-100 or if it has 400-500-600hp.

If the chassis is good, the weight is low and sufficient power, the car will be more fun to drive

The only think bad about a turbo car is that it will NEVER sound as good as a NA motor.. the S14, S38's , S50's (real ones), S54B32/CSL and the S85/S65 will always have that
    Last edited by M3GTtt; 11-22-2012 at 07:24 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3GTtt Click here to enlarge
    The only think bad about a turbo car is that it will NEVER sound as good as a NA motor..
    For sound you have Hi-Fi systems, cars are for driving.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cstavaru Click here to enlarge
    Really? a screaming engine will increase the driving pleasure exponentially. A car with a nice sounding engine does not require a sound system.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Really? a screaming engine will increase the driving pleasure exponentially. A car with a nice sounding engine does not require a sound system.
    In a "proper" car you can't hear the audio system anyway Click here to enlarge
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    hehe True!

I drove an Enzo with straight pipes, that was PROPPER fun

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    hehe True!

I drove an Enzo with straight pipes, that was PROPPER fun
    ZOMG!!! Click here to enlarge I need to buy you more beers Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How come the N54 didn't change anything ??? The upcoming M3 is a twin-turbo inline 6, very likely 3-3.2 - liter. Do you think that if the N54 wasn't that successful BMW would have put such an engine architecture in their upcoming M3 ? N54 is a turning point in BMW engineering, and I'm not saying this because I own one Click here to enlarge
    I'm not saying in engine design I'm saying in potential customers ditching M cars for something cheaper and easier to mod.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by G0TB00ST? Click here to enlarge
    Whats wrong with calling it the 135is like they did with the 335is?
    I don't know. I don't understand why BMW hasn't pumped up the "is" badge as a rival for Audi S if it's even necessary.

M just seems everywhere now. Audi protects the RS badge and models better than BMW does with M now. It's sad.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    As for the neverending Sticky vs N54 debate: the E90x 335i certainly impacted M3 sales, as I've seen M3 E46 owners move to the 335i rather than the M3. The 1M production numbers were too low to know for sure how influenced its bigger brother's sales.

Now if this new "M2" builds on what makes the 1M so good, we certainly have a winner! BMW should just keep it simple and light. And RWD of course! The 1M got great reviews and modded cars are faster around racetracks than the E92 M3 GTS (at almost double the price tag)!! For reference SportAuto tested 1Ms prepped by "AC Schnitzer" and "Versus". At only 400-440bhp and +/- 1490kg those perform marvellously and are great fun.

So there definitely is a huge market for an M2 as the M3 gets bigger and heavier with every generation, unless BMW breaks this trend with the upcoming F3x M3/M4.
    That's weird because I went from the E46 M3 to the E92 M3. The 335i isn't impacting M3 sales as when the 335i came out the E46 M3 ended production and there was no M car. When the M3 came out again, it had no problem selling and nobody was choosing a 335i over it unless money was an issue.

There is going to be a huge market for these entry level performance cars which Mercedes is already capitalizing on. Part of this is because M and AMG cars have gotten so big, expensive, and fat.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You are just saying it because you own one.

BMW is doing a Twin Turbo I6 M3 because they saw mine kicking an S65's ass on the Nurburgring F1 track 4 years ago Click here to enlarge
    No I'm saying it because the M3 is a better car, which it is.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    IMO BMW was to late with the s65, it should have made it in the e46 chassis. Audi came out with a v8 s4 to compete with the e46 m3 and so then BMW did.
    Several mistakes in your post. First of all, the S65 was not too late it was based on the S85 so it came exactly when it should have come. Secondly, Audi had to go to a V8 to compete with BMW's 6 cylinder. Makes the E46 M3 look all that much better doesn't it?

BMW had the m5 engine in the e46 m3 in racing and it was very successful, then the rules changed and they weren't allowed to do that anymore.
    It was not the M5 motor, it was a 4.0 liter V8 actually. So technically the M3 already had a V8 in 2001 and they did sell street legal examples.

Now we are entering a era where car companies are trying to make fuel efficient performance cars. Get ready for turbos , superchargers, carbon fiber, direct injection, compound turbos, etc, and IMO get ready for price increases on all performance cars to pay for all this engineering.
    Exactly hence the market for entry level cars now as all the traditional M and AMG models have gotten bigger and more expensive. If the M3 was still E30 style there would be no place for this car to squeeze in.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    LOL! Good point, hence why exhaust systems don't sell and the motor sound is no part of the driving experience. Great point. This is sig worthy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good post.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This new front wheel drive 1M thing is not the successor to the current 1M. That will be the M2 and it is supposed to be lighter and will be available as a coupe and a 4 door gran coupe. I hope the M2 does not come with the rumored 4 banger but with a detuned version of the M4 engine.
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
    This new front wheel drive 1M thing is not the successor to the current 1M. That will be the M2 and it is supposed to be lighter and will be available as a coupe and a 4 door gran coupe. I hope the M2 does not come with the rumored 4 banger but with a detuned version of the M4 engine.
    Why would they give it a detuned version of the M3/M4 six cylinder? The N20 makes way more sense.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Why would they give it a detuned version of the M3/M4 six cylinder? The N20 makes way more sense.
    I didn't say they would....I said I hoped. The only reason it makes sense is so it doesn't step on the M3/M4's toes.
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I didn't say they would....I said I hoped. The only reason it makes sense is so it doesn't step on the M3/M4's toes.
    And because the N20 will offer better efficiency, be lighter, and also compete directly with Audi and Mercedes in the segment.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I meant putting a v8 in the e92 chassis was to late IMO, it should have been in the e46, whatever v8 that would have been. Also BMW only sold 10 road going v8 e46 m3's, at ridiculous pricing....

I agree about the sound, I want the new m to sound good but I doubt it will sound as good as the s65, not even close
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    And because the N20 will offer better efficiency, be lighter, and also compete directly with Audi and Mercedes in the segment.
    We will see but how will BMW justify an M2 with a 4 banger while the 235 and M235 being sold at the same time with a 6?
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I meant putting a v8 in the e92 chassis was to late IMO, it should have been in the e46, whatever v8 that would have been. Also BMW only sold 10 road going v8 e46 m3's, at ridiculous pricing....

I agree about the sound, I want the new m to sound good but I doubt it will sound as good as the s65, not even close
    The V8 could have come earlier in "realistic" production form. We knew it was coming the whole time but the reason it came later was because it was based on the S85. So they went S85 to S65 instead of S65 to S85 which makes more sense.

If the E60 M5 came earlier we would have seen the V8 earlier. But BMW clearly already felt in 2001 the car could use a V8. We didn't get it until 2008 though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    We will see but how will BMW justify an M2 with a 4 banger while the 235 and M235 being sold at the same time with a 6?
    How did they do it with the E30?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

The N55 sounds better than the N54. I noticed it when I got my 1M and told my wife that her 535 sounded better. Now I am not talking exhaust but the actual engine itself. The N55 has an S65 like grunt to it as you can hear in that Chris Harris review of the M135.
    ​#Chuckstrong

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast