Close

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Update

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    Yea. That makes sense. Thanks!
    Also, 95% of the time rattle is based on wastegate adjustment. The rod that controls them seems to stretch over time due to the heat cycling (I'd assume). This causes them to be loose and the flapper then rattles against the seat. The easy fix is to adjust the wastegates. Of course in some cases it could be something else, but I think those cases are by far the exception and not the rule.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

that first beta tester cant seem to get anything right since the begining.. now his car is burnt down... sorry but its almost comical to think of him and his timeline of events since his introduction
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    that first beta tester cant seem to get anything right since the begining.. now his car is burnt down... sorry but its almost comical to think of him and his timeline of events since his introduction
    I honestly don't think the fire was his fault. Someone else did the install. He was a good kid, his car just had a lot of issues.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

lmao "was a good kid" hopefully he didnt burn down with his car Click here to enlarge

I kid I kid, im sure he is ... it just seems like that car has been a disaster waiting to happen every time its driven....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    Also, 95% of the time rattle is based on wastegate adjustment. The rod that controls them seems to stretch over time due to the heat cycling (I'd assume). This causes them to be loose and the flapper then rattles against the seat. The easy fix is to adjust the wastegates. Of course in some cases it could be something else, but I think those cases are by far the exception and not the rule.
    My wastegate rattle is gone now due to having my secondary cats hollowed out. @rick@defiv informed me of the back pressure they can cause. I was shocked once I picked my car up to see she was wg rattle free.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Blaizon Click here to enlarge
    My wastegate rattle is gone now due to having my secondary cats hollowed out. @rick@defiv informed me of the back pressure they can cause. I was shocked once I picked my car up to see she was wg rattle free.
    Many things will "fix" the rattle such as adjusting the wastegate position using software, and I guess in this case hollowing out your cats. The root of the problem is still incorrect adjustment of the wastegates though. That's pretty much what it comes down to.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Many things will "fix" the rattle such as adjusting the wastegate position using software, and I guess in this case hollowing out your cats. The root of the problem is still incorrect adjustment of the wastegates though. That's pretty much what it comes down to.
    Agreed, I had mine adjusted by bmw but that only lasted for a couple months. This has been the better solution for me, although there are drawbacks to hollowing out the cats.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Agreed, I had mine adjusted by bmw but that only lasted for a couple months. This has been the better solution for me, although there are drawbacks to hollowing out the cats.
    It added some black smoke and added noise/drone correct? I also assume it smells differently now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I just did it myself and had no problems. I think BMW doesn't tighten them enough personally. I monitor PWM and all that in the logs and know its working as it should. Worst case you can always grab a 4mm wrench and give it a twist tighter yourself. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    It added some black smoke and added noise/drone correct? I also assume it smells differently now.

No drone that I can detect, but definitely adds an odor when you're in traffic/sitting.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

The real issue with the wastegates is not the fact the rods are misadjusted. Its the fact that the bushing that it rides in that is cast into the turbine housing wears out from all the constant moving, and that develops play in the wastegate arm, hence the rattling noise. When they get really bad, they cant even stay flat against the turbine housing under boost, and they leak, which throws 30FF codes and the like.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

+1 ^ The rods do not stretch. Cheap bearing design in a harsh environment.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    The real issue with the wastegates is not the fact the rods are misadjusted. Its the fact that the bushing that it rides in that is cast into the turbine housing wears out from all the constant moving, and that develops play in the wastegate arm, hence the rattling noise. When they get really bad, they cant even stay flat against the turbine housing under boost, and they leak, which throws 30FF codes and the like.
    I don't believe that is the root of the cause. I think that is the effect of the rattle from wastegates too loose. My car started rattling around 30k and was really bad by 35k. I tightened the wastegates and I haven't heard a peep since (at 74k now). Since then I have run a lot more boost and more aggressive PWM and my wastegates won't rattle in any position. If the bushing really was wearing out, I would expect rattle to be an issue still. I am sure the bushing does wear out if you let wastegate rattle go unfixed. This makes perfect sense as the flapper is essentially banging against the seat. So many people let this happen and I really can't understand why.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

I don't believe that is the root of the cause. I think that is the effect of the rattle from wastegates too loose. My car started rattling around 30k and was really bad by 35k. I tightened the wastegates and I haven't heard a peep since (at 74k now). Since then I have run a lot more boost and more aggressive PWM and my wastegates won't rattle in any position. If the bushing really was wearing out, I would expect rattle to be an issue still. I am sure the bushing does wear out if you let wastegate rattle go unfixed. This makes perfect sense as the flapper is essentially banging against the seat. So many people let this happen and I really can't understand why.
    Well by tightening the wastegate you in turn push the actuator arm against the bushing, so worn out or not it stops rattling. Wastegates just dont 'loosen up' by themselves...bushing wears out, starts rattling, you make adjustment, goes away.

Ive done 14 sets of turbos on my own, probably the most that anyone has done, and I only 1 had a bad wastegate, and it was only the eyelet at the very end that got ovaled out. All the rest were straight bushing failures, some so bad I had nearly 1/16" play up and down. Its the constant moving back and forth and the high boost settings that the tiny stockers really werent designed for.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    Well by tightening the wastegate you in turn push the actuator arm against the bushing, so worn out or not it stops rattling. Wastegates just dont 'loosen up' by themselves...bushing wears out, starts rattling, you make adjustment, goes away.

Ive done 14 sets of turbos on my own, probably the most that anyone has done, and I only 1 had a bad wastegate, and it was only the eyelet at the very end that got ovaled out. All the rest were straight bushing failures, some so bad I had nearly 1/16" play up and down. Its the constant moving back and forth and the high boost settings that the tiny stockers really werent designed for.
    I have had these turbos for 74k now with 35k at 17.5psi with very little taper. No rattle after one adjustment at 30k. Everything wears out eventually. I don't doubt the bushing is wearing out. The reality is the adjustment of the wastegate keeps the flapper from banging the bushing and wearing the wastegate assembly out prematurely. If everyone with rattle adjusted their wastegates to spec when the rattle started, I doubt there would be nearly as many wastegate failures. With the amount of time I am running no rattle now, I think I can say conclusively that adjusting the wastegate fixes the issue. In 150k will the bushing be wrecked and unavoidable rattle ensue? Sure, maybe, but at that point the turbos will be done anyway.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    @VargasTurboTech - sent you two emails over the past few days... please get back to me asap. Thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

@VargasTurboTech - sent you two emails over the past few days... please get back to me asap. Thanks
    I corresponded with Tony yesterday. He said he was out of town. I'm sure he'll hit you up, shoot him a PM.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, DCI, 7" FMIC, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

3 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I am out if town, I do other things besides discuss BMW turbochargers. Did not see your first email, got your second email last night and responded as soon as I got it. Honestly posting something like this is in pretty poor taste, IMHO.
    Last edited by Tony@VargasTurboTech; 01-07-2013 at 01:55 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    That post was sent with NO ill intentions at all... i have been on this list forever and haven’t made a peep... it was a simple reminder... in the scheme of life there are MANY things more important than responding to emails and MANY better things to get worked up over than mis interpreted posts...

My apologies for the message causing some confusion or for you taking any offense to it.. I left it as a friendly reminder..

if you weren’t answering me and I was being a dueche I would of said XX hasn’t answered bla bla bla... but thats NOT ME at all... maybe that’s why i didn’tt hink it would be taken that way, bc i would never do that...

so for everyone’s sake, my message was sent only two days after emailing tony, my life is so hectic that it felt like it was a week to me... that’s my mistake but again it was left with no ill intentions whats so ever. He has since gotten back to me, and to make matters worse looks like he actually emailed me back before I even posted that message I think bc my inbox gets flooded I missed it; exactly what I may of thought happened to my message bc he has always gotten right back to me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    You are now off the list, I am now #1 Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge
    335xi (sold)
    www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive datalogs

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jpsimon Click here to enlarge
    You are now off the list, I am now #1 Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge
    what a waste that would be with that cruddy tune you run Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

haha! I have nothing to worry about, I've been good for 90k miles
    335xi (sold)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

You guys are betas, right? I'm #1 for the pre-order group Click here to enlarge!

@ChuckD05, a PM would have sufficed! When I first glanced at your post, it reminded me of letters I write to opposing counsel intended to be used as evidence in some sort of motion! =P
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

ya we're beta's
    335xi (sold)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

That post was sent with NO ill intentions at all... i have been on this list forever and haven’t made a peep... it was a simple reminder... in the scheme of life there are MANY things more important than responding to emails and MANY better things to get worked up over than mis interpreted posts...

My apologies for the message causing some confusion or for you taking any offense to it.. I left it as a friendly reminder..

if you weren’t answering me and I was being a dueche I would of said XX hasn’t answered bla bla bla... but thats NOT ME at all... maybe that’s why i didn’tt hink it would be taken that way, bc i would never do that...

so for everyone’s sake, my message was sent only two days after emailing tony, my life is so hectic that it felt like it was a week to me... that’s my mistake but again it was left with no ill intentions whats so ever. He has since gotten back to me, and to make matters worse looks like he actually emailed me back before I even posted that message I think bc my inbox gets flooded I missed it; exactly what I may of thought happened to my message bc he has always gotten right back to me.
    Simple misunderstanding and it seems to be cleared up.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast