Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,089
    Rep Points
    999.1
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Reputation: Yes | No

    N54 RWD performs admirably in the snow :)


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    298
    Rep Points
    272.3
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Reputation: Yes | No
    You passed on red, you couldn't stop, so no, the N54 does not perform ok in snow Click here to enlarge

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Harrisburg
    Posts
    1,284
    Rep Points
    1,526.3
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cstavaru Click here to enlarge
    You passed on red, you couldn't stop, so no, the N54 does not perform ok in snow Click here to enlarge
    Proper tires might help as well, but the video is unclear if they are fitted. Driving technique is also pivotal in the snow. I wouldn't blame the RWD platform for stopping problems. The driver may have been following too close for the vehicle speed and road conditions.

    If the car can start from a dead stop going up hill, I will be impressed. My Maxima had about a 65/35 weight distribution over the front tires, and that car was amazing in the snow with proper tires (as most any FWD car is equipped with snow tires). A couple years ago we got that ridiculous storm in the Northeast, and that car never got stuck. My 335i weights about the same, but has near 50/50 weight distribution, so I am curious how it will perform this winter. Both cars had open diffs, but with DSC off, the 335 should have an advantage here. I'm toying with the idea of just getting an LSD now, before any snow hits. Of course, snow tires are a must.

    Myst, I assume you have an LSD with your RBs?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,089
    Rep Points
    999.1
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    Proper tires might help as well, but the video is unclear if they are fitted. Driving technique is also pivotal in the snow. I wouldn't blame the RWD platform for stopping problems. The driver may have been following too close for the vehicle speed and road conditions.

    If the car can start from a dead stop going up hill, I will be impressed. My Maxima had about a 65/35 weight distribution over the front tires, and that car was amazing in the snow with proper tires (as most any FWD car is equipped with snow tires). A couple years ago we got that ridiculous storm in the Northeast, and that car never got stuck. My 335i weights about the same, but has near 50/50 weight distribution, so I am curious how it will perform this winter. Both cars had open diffs, but with DSC off, the 335 should have an advantage here. I'm toying with the idea of just getting an LSD now, before any snow hits. Of course, snow tires are a must.

    Myst, I assume you have an LSD with your RBs?
    Actually, I ran a yellow, and it wasn't because I had no brakes. And no, I don't have an LSD.

    Edit- first part of that response was meant for @cstavaru
    Last edited by themyst; 11-08-2012 at 10:21 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    1,101
    Rep Points
    1,398.2
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cstavaru Click here to enlarge
    You passed on red, you couldn't stop, so no, the N54 does not perform ok in snow Click here to enlarge
    Well thats only a test of tires, all cars has 4WB (brakes) even the RWD ones Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    25
    Rep Points
    14.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Mine is garage kept in the winter. Even with snow tires mine performs poorly at best.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Luxembourg
    Posts
    1,191
    Rep Points
    917.6
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Reputation: Yes | No
    No snow here yet, fortunately Click here to enlarge
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,914
    Rep Points
    1,353.5
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14


    Reputation: Yes | No
    I was waiting for the driver to overtake the car in the front quickly or something to show off the snow performance, but instead he seemed to try it at 25s, but did not succeed at all?

    I believe it is because of not having real winter tires.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,089
    Rep Points
    999.1
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    I was waiting for the driver to overtake the car in the front quickly or something to show off the snow performance, but instead he seemed to try it at 25s, but did not succeed at all?

    I believe it is because of not having real winter tires.
    The point is you can't even drive in 4 inches of packed snow with summers, RFTs or whatever else tire is popular to run these days.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    277
    Rep Points
    622.8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    The point is you can't even drive in 4 inches of packed snow with summers, RFTs or whatever else tire is popular to run these days.
    I can agree with this, I drove home from work on the summers and was spinning shifting into second.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,914
    Rep Points
    1,353.5
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    The point is you can't even drive in 4 inches of packed snow with summers, RFTs or whatever else tire is popular to run these days.
    Absolutely.
    It boils down to what you are comparing it to. I could have overtaken the car easily despite of the thicker 7 inch snow in that lane with my winter tires. I would rather walk than run summer tires in that kind of snow.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,089
    Rep Points
    999.1
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    Absolutely.
    It boils down to what you are comparing it to. I could have overtaken the car easily despite of the thicker 7 inch snow in that lane with my winter tires. I would rather walk than run summer tires in that kind of snow.
    I went up a 30 degree incline from a dead stop with these tires with a little effort. Next time we get a storm like this I will video that.

    I could have also overtaken that car easily but the point is I can drive reasonably stable when others in NYC can't even move, regardless of drivetrain config

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Jersey City
    Posts
    3,857
    Rep Points
    3,642.6
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    37


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Ugh, our weather sucks, luckily my 335 doesn't see snow and is sleeping in the garage this morning.


    If anyone wants my stock 18 inch wheels with barely used all season run flats I will sell them cheap, pm me!
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    277
    Rep Points
    622.8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Mine does perfectly well with Blizzaks on it.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Mars, Gale Crater
    Posts
    873
    Rep Points
    682.4
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Reputation: Yes | No
    My car performs pretty well in snow Click here to enlarge

    335xi (sold)
    www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive datalogs

    Click here to enlarge

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Luxembourg
    Posts
    1,191
    Rep Points
    917.6
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jpsimon Click here to enlarge
    My car performs pretty well in snow Click here to enlarge

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y8f6SYtq14
    Your ski rack adds tons of downforce!! Click here to enlarge
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,089
    Rep Points
    999.1
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jpsimon Click here to enlarge
    My car performs pretty well in snow Click here to enlarge

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y8f6SYtq14
    It should! But I have RWD, open diff on street tires. For that kind of snow, the car performed amazing. Guess people were kind of missing the point of the video in the first place.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,198
    Rep Points
    1,800.2
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Reputation: Yes | No
    This weather blows
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump


    "The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    376
    Rep Points
    707.1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Lol. When I first got my 08 335xi, even with AWD, the summers sucked so bad in just 2-4" of snow I could barely get up a mild hill from a dead stop. I soon threw on Yoko Advan all seasons and, wow, what a difference.

    I'm not bold enough to try 2WD with open diff any more. My last 2WD was a 95 maxima and it was not very good in the snow on hills with only all-seasons.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Harrisburg
    Posts
    1,284
    Rep Points
    1,526.3
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge
    Lol. When I first got my 08 335xi, even with AWD, the summers sucked so bad in just 2-4" of snow I could barely get up a mild hill from a dead stop. I soon threw on Yoko Advan all seasons and, wow, what a difference.

    I'm not bold enough to try 2WD with open diff any more. My last 2WD was a 95 maxima and it was not very good in the snow on hills with only all-seasons.
    This just proves how important tires are. I had a 97 with snow tires and that car was a tank in the snow. I felt like I could go anywhere; no problems whatsoever. Just driving around Pittsburgh there are plenty of hills, and I took the car on the PA turnpike through the Laural Mountains numerous times with snow on the road with no problems at all. The 95 and 97 are of the same generation and use the same chassis. The 97 has a few cosmetic changes, but drive train/chassis is the same 95-99.

    BavarianBullet, you didn't happen to be a member of maxima.org, did you?

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    376
    Rep Points
    707.1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    This just proves how important tires are. I had a 97 with snow tires and that car was a tank in the snow. I felt like I could go anywhere; no problems whatsoever. Just driving around Pittsburgh there are plenty of hills, and I took the car on the PA turnpike through the Laural Mountains numerous times with snow on the road with no problems at all. The 95 and 97 are of the same generation and use the same chassis. The 97 has a few cosmetic changes, but drive train/chassis is the same 95-99.

    BavarianBullet, you didn't happen to be a member of maxima.org, did you?
    I had two different sets of tires on my max, both were all seasons. 2nd were yokos IIRC. If i would have went to 4 snows it probably would have helped some I agree. The thing that pissed me off the most about that car's traction was starting from a stop, esp while turning, in the rain or snow. you cant really fix an open diff without traction control- outside tire's always going to spin if you give it enough gas, which I tend to do a lot. That's on me.

    No I wasn't an active member of maxima.org.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,958
    Rep Points
    2,641.0
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Reputation: Yes | No
    blizzack lm25's ftw

    video of my z driving in 6+ inches with no problems

    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    978
    Rep Points
    1,406.3
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    blizzack lm25's ftw

    video of my z driving in 6+ inches with no problems

    i need to get my snow tires mounted. Driving home last night with traction control on was a nightmare, couldn't go above 3200rpm before my computer's nannies kicked in.

    First time i've missed my 328xi since getting my GTI though.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Northern, Va.
    Posts
    145
    Rep Points
    130.4
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    My 335 does NOT perform anything in the snow! My Subaru Outback does that work.....well.

    Subaru Outback was the best mod I ever did to my 335 Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    '07 E90 335i AW 6MT Sport & Comfort Pkgs
    MODS: |COBB AP | CP-e | ER | Forge | DCI | KW V1 | M3 Sways | BBS CH | M3 Body Parts| MTech | CF Wrap Trim

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Mars, Gale Crater
    Posts
    873
    Rep Points
    682.4
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Reputation: Yes | No
    I still very much prefer my WRX's AWD system to the XI's
    335xi (sold)
    www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive datalogs

    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •