Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 69
  1. #26
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    75
    Rep Points
    189.5
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Had exactly the same sound from my car:


    After I swapped to RB's the stock turbos had NO play and I was burning NO oil so it's safe to assume it's normal.


    Now here's my video with BAD turbo. It had a lot of both lateral and longitudinal play.
    M3.
    Mazda3 that is Click here to enlarge

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,177
    Rep Points
    801.6
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    9


    Reputation: Yes | No
    It definitely is not a normal sound regardless of play. I am pretty sure it is the journal/thrust bearing being damaged. Is it going to blow up, probably not, is it going to get worse at the boost levels that are being run, of course. Eventually you will consume oil and it will get louder, when that is is up in the air. Maybe @VargasTurboTech can tune in. If I am wrong I I'll run 19+ psi tomorrow lol.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,177
    Rep Points
    801.6
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    9


    Reputation: Yes | No
    @VargasTurboTech hey can you chime in on this noise?

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,177
    Rep Points
    801.6
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    9


    Reputation: Yes | No
    From Vargas on the other forum, pretty much exactly what I said, but the cause is not what I expected. It isn't cooked bearings making the noise, its the cooked bearings allowing the compressor wheel to contact the housing:

    Originally Posted by Vargasturbotech Click here to enlarge
    Turbos should not I repeat not make that noise, a whistle is 100% normal and with less restrictive exhaust you will hear it more. With a siren or as its called turbo howl your turbos are well on there way to going out. The noise is caused by excessive play in the center section, either in the journal bearings radial play or in the thrust axial play, usually its a combo of both. This allows defelction under boost as the exhaust imparts force on the turbine wheel, the excessive play allows the compressor wheel to actually slightly contact the compressor housing causing metal to metal contact and this noise. Once this occurs it actually starts to machine away the blades of the compressor wheel a little at a time and it will eventually throw itself out of balance, take out the piston rings and everything else with it, and you will start smoking badly. Another thing I have seen with stock turbos is, the turbine side piston ring allowed excessive oil to escape past, which gets under the heat shield and from the extreme heat turns into carbon and as this builds up under the heat shield it pushes the back of the heat shield into the back of the turbine wheel, this can also cause this noise with the same results. Bottom line, turbos are on the way out, next thing in the time line is smoke. Hope this helps.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Tallahassee
    Posts
    1,482
    Rep Points
    0.1
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Little update for you all. Siren noise has been getting louder and is now almost the same volume warm as it is cold. I have catless downpipes installed as well and that amplifies it even more. Still no smoke other than startup white smoke which I think is condensation. It goes away once the car warms up.

    Here is a new video. Car is completely warmed up.


    Any thoughts?

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    919
    Rep Points
    780.4
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    Any thoughts?

    Dude, I think it's pretty definitive by now. If you've not gotten it by now here it is bluntly:

    START SAVING FOR NEW TURBOS!

    What do you expect us to say?!... ...that a sound which you describe as developed itself over time and has grown louder is normal and you have nothing to worry about?... Come one now, use some common sense.

    Do yourself a favor: go put a deposit for some nice RB's or Vargas turbos. If you can't spend this much money, then buy some OEM units, lower your boost a little and continue enjoying your car.
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

  7. #32
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    1,640
    Rep Points
    2,149.8
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    Dude, I think it's pretty definitive by now. If you've not gotten it by now here it is bluntly:

    START SAVING FOR NEW TURBOS!

    What do you expect us to say?!... ...that a sound which you describe as developed itself over time and has grown louder is normal and you have nothing to worry about?... Come one now, use some common sense.

    Do yourself a favor: go put a deposit for some nice RB's or Vargas turbos. If you can't spend this much money, then buy some OEM units, lower your boost a little and continue enjoying your car.
    Keeping it real.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

    2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Valley Stream NY
    Posts
    3,300
    Rep Points
    2,757.1
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    28


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    Keeping it real.

    ^ this lol

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Tallahassee
    Posts
    1,482
    Rep Points
    0.1
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Alright guys lol

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Naples, FL
    Posts
    2,085
    Rep Points
    2,142.1
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge




  11. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    47
    Rep Points
    114.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Unfortunately my car started making this siren noise last week. It has gotten louder each day. Also the car feels down on power. I don't even know if its worth taking it to the dealer. My car has 77k so maybe I can see if they can replace the turbos under the 8yr/82k mile warranty for the turbos. But thats a long shot since the warranty is mainly for the wastegate rattle. Click here to enlarge

    Another interesting note, my car doesnt make the siren noise while revving the engine in park, only when under load (moving).

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Tallahassee
    Posts
    1,482
    Rep Points
    0.1
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ihc95 Click here to enlarge
    Unfortunately my car started making this siren noise last week. It has gotten louder each day. Also the car feels down on power. I don't even know if its worth taking it to the dealer. My car has 77k so maybe I can see if they can replace the turbos under the 8yr/82k mile warranty for the turbos. But thats a long shot since the warranty is mainly for the wastegate rattle. Click here to enlarge

    Another interesting note, my car doesnt make the siren noise while revving the engine in park, only when under load (moving).
    If you actually have this issue, it should make the noise while revving. You won't hear it as much with the stock downpipes on the car though. Floor the gas and let off at 4k in neutral, you should hear it. You need to get the turbo spinning. Does your car do it when warm/cold? Did you see the video I posted a couple posts above?

    Honestly mine has been doing it for quite awhile now and it's pretty loud cold and warm. When @BoostAddict put the downpipes on he said there was no shaft play, and I don't notice any smoke. I don't know what the cause of it is still or if it's something to worry about, but I have been fine so far. I only have 20,000 miles and it's doing it. I also met with a 1M owner the other day and his turbos did the same noise at 4k miles.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,089
    Rep Points
    999.1
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Every single one of my turbos across two N54s and a set of rbs sounded like that.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Tallahassee
    Posts
    1,482
    Rep Points
    0.1
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    Every single one of my turbos across two N54s and a set of rbs sounded like that.
    Really? Just like the video I posted a few above? That video is fully warmed up. Any smoke/performance loss?

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,089
    Rep Points
    999.1
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    Really? Just like the video I posted a few above? That video is fully warmed up. Any smoke/performance loss?
    yes, yes, even worse in one case, and no, except on the RBs where it's normal/no.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    88
    Rep Points
    65.1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    As far as I can tell, I have had this noise for as long as I have had the car, for about 25k miles. It became much more apparent when I switched to DCI's. The sound completely goes away once the engine partially warms up. If I save up and swap for RB's (which I'm totally considering) How much would I have to drastically change the engine tune? Could I basically keep the same tune?

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    47
    Rep Points
    114.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    @E90Company You don't have any performance loss? My car seems to have no midrange anymore although I have been too scared to go WOT so I can't comment on the high rpm performance. The low end grunt seems to still be somewhat there so it seems the turbos just give up once it hits a certain PSI.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Tallahassee
    Posts
    1,482
    Rep Points
    0.1
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ihc95 Click here to enlarge
    @E90Company You don't have any performance loss? My car seems to have no midrange anymore although I have been too scared to go WOT so I can't comment on the high rpm performance. The low end grunt seems to still be somewhat there so it seems the turbos just give up once it hits a certain PSI.
    I don't think I have any performance loss. Yet again I don't really know since it's been so long since my turbos didn't do this.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    37
    Rep Points
    48.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    hahaha

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,177
    Rep Points
    801.6
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    9


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Its the sound of your shoes


  21. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Tallahassee
    Posts
    1,482
    Rep Points
    0.1
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    All jokes aside, there's clearly an issue with the turbos. I get that. If these pop and I need new ones so be it. I don't really care. I just want to know from at least one knowledgeable member on Bimmerboost or Rob Beck/Vargas to give me their reasoning why these turbos make this sound.

    Why do some cars make the sound and others dont? What causes it? What makes some of the volume go away when warmed up but still be there? Shaft play theory dousn't make sense with this.

    @VargasTurboTech , you said it's due to shaft play. When the downpipes were put in the turbos were checked for shaft play and there is absolutely zero movement. I have no smoke. No performance issues. Only this howl that is very loud when cold and still very loud when warm (per video) Why?

    Also per @themyst , he has this noise that developed on RB turbos. Clearly he dousn't have any shaft play issues with his, so why this developed noise? There's got to be an answer to this.

    As of right now, my best guess is that the actual turbine wheel itself, being as small as they are, one of the blades actually warps during a high heat, high boost condition. This very minute warping of one of the blades causes a disturbance in airflow that will create this noise. I have also noticed from users posting on this forum and the other forum that have this noise, alot of them ran high boost (15psi+) for extended periods on the stock downpipes, which only creates more heat and somewhat backs up my theory. I also think this shouldn't affect performance at all or lead to smoking down the line, which isn't related to this noise. Let me know what you think. Please.

    Thanks,
    Nick

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,177
    Rep Points
    801.6
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    9


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Nah, my best guess, besides contact, is bearing wear. Pop those out and check for scoring.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Tallahassee
    Posts
    1,482
    Rep Points
    0.1
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    Nah, my best guess, besides contact, is bearing wear. Pop those out and check for scoring.
    Probably more correct

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    70
    Rep Points
    98.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    Little update for you all. Siren noise has been getting louder and is now almost the same volume warm as it is cold. I have catless downpipes installed as well and that amplifies it even more. Still no smoke other than startup white smoke which I think is condensation. It goes away once the car warms up.

    Here is a new video. Car is completely warmed up.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYS6h...yer_detailpage

    Any thoughts?
    Dood I don't believe it, my turbo makes the same noise not quite a siren more like a chirpy flutter and I couldn't find the sound anywhere . The only difference is my turbo is on my allroad and there's a lot of oil in the I/C piping. I've told it was a seal or something.

    and btw I did follow my previous advice I jacked up the boost and bought new turbs but haven't blown yet..

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Tallahassee
    Posts
    1,482
    Rep Points
    0.1
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TLO03 Click here to enlarge
    Dood I don't believe it, my turbo makes the same noise not quite a siren more like a chirpy flutter and I couldn't find the sound anywhere . The only difference is my turbo is on my allroad and there's a lot of oil in the I/C piping. I've told it was a seal or something.

    and btw I did follow my previous advice I jacked up the boost and bought new turbs but haven't blown yet..
    It's so strange this noise

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •