Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Couple Questions regarding 2009 335xi

Hey folks, new to the forum, picking up a CPO 2009 335xi in the next couple of days, upgraded from a 1.8t VW passat, so i should be having plenty of fun, just wanted to pick your brains a little, apologies if you feel most of my questions could have been easily answered using search.
    Here goes

Anybody know about the warranty policy and modding, reading up on the JB4 and that will be picked up in the near future, dont want to lose out on a couple of free oil changes or other things in the name of extra horsepower, especially when the 300 will keep me satisfied compared to the 220 i had before.

Also doing some reading and im not quite sure if the 2009 xis had stock oil coolers put in them, im not planning on tracking the car, but it gets decently hot around here, would rather not have problems after a long spirited drive in the summer

Lastly the car is a steptronic auto, i wanted the 6speed but beggars cant be choosers, this car is just to nicely equipped to be passed up, also with the economy hitting the wall in 2008 not alot of leases coming back, so ill make do, what is the tranny able to comfortably deal with? 400whp is ultimately the figure i want, just want to make sure it can handle it.

Thanks for looking, thanks for answering, and i look forward to being part of the forum

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Moved to the N54 section as your questions seem to be more motor related.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

At least with the 2008 XI's to get the oil cooler you needed to get the sports package AND upgraded wheels. It is absolutely $#@!ing ridiculous, but because of this I do not have the oil cooler even though I have the sports package. You can just take a look in the wheel well to see if you have one
    335xi (sold)
    www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive datalogs

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Two ways to easily tell if you have the OEM oil cooler:
    1. You have these two lines running from the oil filter
    Attachment 22321
    2. Look in the passenger wheel well for a ventilated section
    Attachment 22322

As far as the 6AT, I'm FBO (No Meth/Stock Turbos) and have no problem. I've been running E85 tune for a couple months & the trans has never skipped a beat + the tune is probably just over 400 WHP.

Regarding warranties, it's varies from dealer to dealer. If you got a quality SA, keep in touch & keep close with them. My car still get serviced as a BMW Dealer & luckily they're mod friendly. I uninstall my tune everytime the car goes in, but my catless DPs, aFe DCI & Helix FMIC all stay in there.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I got an 08 XI last January and had the option of getting the CPO warranty or not. I was neutral, but went ahead and took it. Turned out to be a very good thing. I'd highly recommend it if possible. Due to the CPO I went with a Cobb rather than a piggyback. No regrets so far, except for wishing I had the 2-step rev limiter that so far is only available with a piggy or WOTbox (I got a 6MT).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Thanks for all the info guys, looking forward to the car, if it dosent have an oil cooler, is it a must have for a chipped car in a moderately hot climate? Im talking Canada here, so its nothing like texas, and i wont be tracking it, just having fun

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BMDoublYou Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for all the info guys, looking forward to the car, if it dosent have an oil cooler, is it a must have for a chipped car in a moderately hot climate? Im talking Canada here, so its nothing like texas, and i wont be tracking it, just having fun
    It's not 100% must have right this second but something for you to definitely look into if you intend to run the car hard.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Sounds good, ill look into picking one up, we ll see how the tune does in the summer and if i notice oil temps rising, ill pick it up, another couple of questions if you don't mind my laziness and not wanting to search, what boost gauge would you guys recommend, i saw an electronic one that goes in the air vent on the left side, any reviews or recommendations? coming from a boosted car before i know the importance of being able to tell if the system is holding pressure, Also what is the Dual Cone intake like that comes with the JB4, it seems reasonably priced compared to the dinan, what are you guys running?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BMDoublYou Click here to enlarge
    another couple of questions if you don't mind my laziness and not wanting to search, what boost gauge would you guys recommend
    You're talking about the P3 Gauge (http://www.p3cars.com/catalog/e90/)

As for intakes, the BMS DCI is probably the most commonly used & top performers. I use the aFe DCI just because it looks a little more clean in the engine bay. If you're gonna spend Alpina CAI money, you're better off getting the Tuningwerk Intake (http://www.tuningwerk.de/tuningwerk/...XegQa1EqZAezgg) that comes with upgraded intake piping
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna